Seemingly random clunking noise while riding

TWRUK

• Member Contributer

Hi all, 

Recently purchased 2005 VFR800 ABS, 21,000 miles. Have been out for about 5 rides of 30-60 min each, but yesterday, while having my first pillion passenger, the bike started to make some random clunking noises from beneath my feet. Speed was about 40-50 mph, maybe 4-6k rpm. I initially thought it was the center stand, or side stand knocking against the frame, but the road was smooth. On the hour or so I was out, it happened about 5-6 times. I will take it out again without a pillion along to see if it happens again, but just wanted to post here to get any ideas.

I've done a search here, and see some references to cam chain tensioners making a 'clunking' noise, but not sure if it might be something else.

Don't want to ride it if it might be unsafe, so any thoughts, ideas welcome.

Hi all, 
Recently purchased 2005 VFR800 ABS, 21,000 miles. Have been out for about 5 rides of 30-60 min each, but yesterday, while having my first pillion passenger, the bike started to make some random clunking noises from beneath my feet. Speed was about 40-50 mph, maybe 4-6k rpm. I initially thought it was the center stand, or side stand knocking against the frame, but the road was smooth. On the hour or so I was out, it happened about 5-6 times. I will take it out again without a pillion along to see if it happens again, but just wanted to post here to get any ideas.
I've done a search here, and see some references to cam chain tensioners making a 'clunking' noise, but not sure if it might be something else.
Don't want to ride it if it might be unsafe, so any thoughts, ideas welcome.

Cct is not random. Tight chain link maybe. Check the subframe mounts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Timing chain chatter is normally noticeable with a warm engine at idle. Give the throttle a couple of blips and listen for the noise if it's the CCT try and establish if your hearing it from the front or rear set of cyclinders. The rear CCT is the easiest to replace. The CCT's generally start to cause issues with the mileage your bike has done. Also check what Sweeper above has recommended. Have a good look through the forum, there is plenty of info regarding CCT's.

Good Luck.

• Member Contributer

Thanks Sweeper (my parents live in Boaz), and Grum, for your advice.

Chain is at the correct tension, but will look at the sub frame mounts and also have a listen for timing chain chatter for good measure.

Will post any findings...

• Member Contributer
On 29 March 2018 at 1:20 AM, TWRUK said:

Thanks Sweeper (my parents live in Boaz), and Grum, for your advice.

Chain is at the correct tension, but will look at the sub frame mounts and also have a listen for timing chain chatter for good measure.

Will post any findings...

Just curious, anything to report on your issue?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Hi Grum,

Yes, have been out a couple of times since your original reply. Only today, decided the drive chain play was too loose. I tightened it up a bit, gave the wheel a turn and saw there were 2 half-broken links (See pics). I expect this may have been the source of the random noise. I'm ordering a chain and sprockets kit today, and feeling very lucky...

IMG_2591.JPG

IMG_2592.JPG

Hi Grum,

Yes, have been out a couple of times since your original reply. Only today, decided the drive chain play was too loose. I tightened it up a bit, gave the wheel a turn and saw there were 2 half-broken links (See pics). I expect this may have been the source of the random noise. I'm ordering a chain and sprockets kit today, and feeling very lucky...
IMG_2591.thumb.JPG.0c853352f56b0016a07f26e73811a1a7.JPG
IMG_2592.thumb.JPG.3ff19f0c6ea36db5d79043b329c9bddf.JPG

That was lucky. Was it an improperly installed master link?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

What is that ring/washer looking thing under the head of those two rivets? Looks very

funky.

Good thing you caught it, that could have been a real mess, and a potential accident.

• Member Contributer
23 hours ago, FJ12Ryder said:

What is that ring/washer looking thing under the head of those two rivets? Looks very

funky.

Good thing you caught it, that could have been a real mess, and a potential accident.

Think you're referring to the O Rings FJ12.

Bloody hell never seen a 530 chain like it, so lucky you caught it before the big snap! No doubt, this would have completly failed on your next ride, Scary indeed. 

I'm guessing but at 21,000 miles this may well be the original OEM chain, long over cooked.

Thanks TWRUK for the excellent photos, and glad you're still alive to tell the story!

• Member Contributer

Thanks everyone.

Very surprised and hope that anyone reading these posts will check their chain before going out for a ride.

• Member Contributer

The O-rings are between the links, I was referring to the washer-looking thing directly under the head of those two rivets.

• Member Contributer
1 minute ago, FJ12Ryder said:

The O-rings are between the links, I was referring to the washer-looking thing directly under the head of those two rivets.

|I've had a look... (downloaded the photo and blew it up.) and it looks suspiciously like a thread as if someone has bodged a repair.

Threaded.jpg

• Member Contributer

I think there's somebody that makes a kind of threaded masterlink. Hmm, seems like RK does a weird

kind of link: RK Masterlink

Maybe somebody tried to put an RK masterlink on a non-RK chain, and it didn't fit right.

That just looks odd to me, and makes a person wonder if those two pins are the only ones that have that

washer type of thing, and if those two links were the only ones that broke. Maybe some type of connection.

HAR, HAR, "type of connection", masterlink. Nudge nudge wink wink.

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, FJ12Ryder said:

Apologies FJ12Ryder. I hadn't looked close enough to see what you mean. Nasty failure of a Master LInk and some form of threaded version!

Nice job on the enlargement Woodie.

• Member Contributer

I’m thankful you found it when you did... I knew someone from high school that died from a snapped chain that wrapped around the sprocket seizing the rear wheel and put them down on the road in traffic.  Please everyone... don’t neglect your chain.

• Member Contributer

That chain doesn't look like it got very much love, if any.  I'll bet when you remove the front sprocket cover it's going to caked full of crud.  Glad you caught it when you did. 

• Member Contributer

A clunking from a chain is a very scary event. I had it happen heading north from Nelson BC after the PNW meet in '16. I turned around after about 50 k back to the dealer and he could see nothing wrong. I had the chain and sprockets changed (after waiting for days for the parts) and the noise went away. I felt a huge stress lifted with that new stuff.

Like Rush said... (and check your tires while you are at it)

Archived