Lower Mainland Fraser Valley Riders

34468Randy

• Member Contributer

Seems the last thread for the Vancouver area riders got locked down.  Probably from lack of contributions to the thread.

Well we here on the Best Coast of Canada must unite.  Reasonable riding weather is just around the corner....i think.

Lets see if some of us can get together for some riding this year. Even the odd overnighter at some place further away might be in order.  Have stayed in many ma and pa budget highway side motels in my riding past and they usually turned out fine.  It is just a place to sleep.

• Member Contributer

I'm paying attention to this. Best Coast indeed! I had a great time there in 2016 (PNW ride). And I'm looking for somewhere to go after SumSum4.

Aaaaah ....... maybe next year.

• Member Contributer

Unl;ess someone has another idea to consider, we can just use this thread as a starting gate for simple rides.

Hopefully we will be getting some decent weather soon.  My ride is kept insured year round and I use it when I can for errands but it would be nice to get out for a real ride soon. Personally I doubt I will be doing much riding this year.  At least not the first part of the summer. There is an orthopedic surgeon who plans on occupying a lot of my time this year. Recovery is expected to be good, but slow. He warned me that riding our style of bike is a detriment to recovery.

But I can follow along and drool.

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Just a bump to bring this idea to the surface if someone wants to do a pairs or small group ride. I know several from this area are gearing up to head out to Custer in a few weeks.  I was looking forward to this too but had to back out due to non bike related issues. I am open to day rides or even shorter if anyone has one planned. Speak to my agent and he will discuss my attendance fees with you.

• 4 months later...

Hey guys, just posted looking for a VFR riding group in the area for next season.  Guess I should refine my searching skills before posting.  :/  On another note, I need to replace the sprockets and chain on my 2000 (been to 2nd gear for other parts, but looking to find cheaper parts), where do you guys buy local?  I could do fortnine back east, but again looking to support local if other are as well and the prices are good.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Geese said:

Hey guys, just posted looking for a VFR riding group in the area for next season.  Guess I should refine my searching skills before posting.  😕 On another note, I need to replace the sprockets and chain on my 2000 (been to 2nd gear for other parts, but looking to find cheaper parts), where do you guys buy local?  I could do fortnine back east, but again looking to support local if other are as well and the prices are good.

https://sprocketcenter.com/

This is where I have bough most of mine.  You pay cheap, you get cheap. Pete's Sportbike is another in Canada that I have used for several things including good tires at good prices. Fortnine was much easier to use back when they were called Canada's Motorcylce Superstore but now, I can't be bothered fighting though their on line catalogue to find what I want.

Thanks guys. Parts appear cheaper (same part as local) from Pete’s back east. But will need to buy a link remover from what I am reading to go from 110 to 108 links. You guys use regular anitifreeze or a special motorcycle antifreeze?  Bike is new to me and want to change and flush all fluids. Brake bleed seems easy enough. Antifreeze “burping” seems more complicated then a car. When I was pulled over in states (got off easy) police mention a headlight is out too so I guess while fairing is coming off. 😞

• Member Contributer

I would think you can reach through the back and remove/install headlight bulbs without the need to remove plastics.  But I can't say that for certainty. You can with the sixth gen. Are you running HID lights.  They are illegal here in BC too but most police officers, except the traffic officers,  know little about that. I was challenged by a freeway patrol guy and knew I was on borrowed time so just went and changed not only my bike but the truck too, with Piaas bulbs which are CSA approved.

The antifreeze is a 50-50 mix you can buy at Canadian Tire so long as you read the label and ensure it can be used on engines that have aluminum parts.  Just so you know, the 50/50 antifreeze you buy at a Honda car dealership is the exact same stuff as what  you buy at the Honda MC shop, but considerable cheaper.

Do you have a service manual for the bike.  Burping the  cooling system is really not that big of a deal.  A relatively simple process. I have the service manual for the 6th gen but I think the two generations are close enough that you can use the same process.  For that matter, you can download a service manual for 5th gens right from here for free. Just use the search engine and you should be able to find it.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Geese said:

Thanks guys. Parts appear cheaper (same part as local) from Pete’s back east. But will need to buy a link remover from what I am reading to go from 110 to 108 links. You guys use regular anitifreeze or a special motorcycle antifreeze?  Bike is new to me and want to change and flush all fluids. Brake bleed seems easy enough. Antifreeze “burping” seems more complicated then a car. When I was pulled over in states (got off easy) police mention a headlight is out too so I guess while fairing is coming off. 😞

It is possible to change out a bulb w/o pulling the front fairing on a fifth gen. Pictures and proceedure on page 19-6 in the factory service manual. Download a copy from the downloads section of this site.

Small hands help.

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer

A friendly bump to keep this thread alive.

After a few delays, some my choice and one because of a Motor Cycle boo boo back pm October 26 last year that ended up with a fractured ego and fractured ankle, my awaited surgery is coming up in a couple weeks, so this year will likely be an absolute no go for any riding. Even the bicycle seems to be out.  But walking and hiking will be all good for me so that will occupy most of my non RVing time this year.

We will keep this thread going as a meeting place for riders from the Best Coast of Canada who are wanting to meet for rides again this year. Seems we will likely not be doing much of that for a few months yet though.

• Member Contributer

Sorry to hear that Randy. Here is wish for a spectacular recovery. I can empathize with the ego and bone. These too will heal. :tongue:

• Member Contributer

Disregard my last post about being restricted in my riding this coming summer.  I fired my orthopedic surgeon. Surgery is off for now, maybe forever. Gawd I hate this asshole, and most doctors for that matter.  My GP is the only one that really considers his patients quality of live rather than his own fukken ego.

• Member Contributer
Disregard my last post about being restricted in my riding this coming summer.  I fired my orthopedic surgeon. Surgery is off for now, maybe forever. Gawd I hate this asshole, and most doctors for that matter.  My GP is the only one that really considers his patients quality of live rather than his own fukken ego.

Sorry about the mishap Randy. Sooooo... are you riding this summer then?? Are you getting another, better surgeon??
Just wondering...
C

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

So some of us PNW guys are headed to Redding Ca. in July its not a meet for say as a few other types of bikes are going. But others are welcome to the dates and location if they wanted to piggy back on the trips.   As for riding with Randy, I hope the riding is aloud to go on at least push off the ankle surg till the fall 🙂

• Member Contributer
16 hours ago, Polarbear said:

Sorry about the mishap Randy. Sooooo... are you riding this summer then?? Are you getting another, better surgeon??
Just wondering...
C

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will be riding this summer.  Through this winter and so long as I can.  I have decided I am not going for the surgery until such time as walking is too painful to tolerate That could be never.  But if I do decide to get the thing fixed, for sure it will be with another surgeon.  I can't stand this arrogant self praising Torontonian.  He is a pompus ass and I don't have the confidence in him anymore.

• Member Contributer
14 hours ago, Axel_7 said:

So some of us PNW guys are headed to Redding Ca. in July its not a meet for say as a few other types of bikes are going. But others are welcome to the dates and location if they wanted to piggy back on the trips.   As for riding with Randy, I hope the riding is aloud to go on at least push off the ankle surg till the fall 🙂

Yes,  Like I mentioned already, riding is still in. It is not the ankle. That is coming along slowly.  Still hurts to walk a bit but I have been riding the MC and the bicycle, almost the instant the cast came off beginning of December.  The issue is a hip replacement.  If  get that done, there will be no riding of a VFR or my bicycle for a year post op because of the ergonomics.  Can't flex the hips beyond 90* for a year. And I am not about to get a cruiser type bike, unless I could convince the wife to ride with me, in which case, I would go out and get myself a nice new Gold Wing.  But she has made it perfectly clear to me, she will not get on the bike with me.  Wonder just what she is meaning here.

On the positive side of things, I will be riding lots. Another thing, the bike was damaged during the crash in Mexico, but it is all cosmetic.  I was going to do some work on it this winter and spring, but after the crash, decided the money spent is not worth the value of the bike. It has 218,000 km on it now and I don't think it is worth me spending a lot of money on it.  Who knows when it will give up the ghost. So. I will just ride it and fix only as needed until I have the cash for a new or near new 2015 VFR Deluxe c/w all the factory cases.  White of course.  There might be a used one available in the spring in Kelowna I am told.  Will keep an eye on that, 

• Member Contributer

That bike owes you nothing at almost 220,000 km. The only value it'll have will be to you personally as nobody's going to buy it with that kind of mileage and some crash damage. Heal up and all the best.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Dustin said:

That bike owes you nothing at almost 220,000 km. The only value it'll have will be to you personally as nobody's going to buy it with that kind of mileage and some crash damage. Heal up and all the best.

I hope you are wrong with this but this is really what I fear too. 

I do have someone interested in buying it as a donor bike.  He wants to marry up his front end 4th or 5th gen with my rear 6th gen.  It has been done quite successfully with someone here I think.  He is a member over at VFRW and I have seen the bike he did.  A fabulous job he did with that. He put a lot of work into it though.

• 2 months later...

Hi All, You might remember me from some of the rides, of which we are overdue for another.  I tried to fit a PCV to my Gen 5 and it didn't work.  I'd like to offer it up for local pickup first if anyone with a Gen 6 is interested.  Both units are new.  AT 200 Auto tune kit and the 16-005 PCV.  We can talk about price if anyone is interested.  I would also be interested if anyone want's to swap with a good PC3 and some cash.   If you are not mechanically inclined and don't mind the ride to Squamish I may even help you install it.   If no one is interested I will move it up the chain.  Current value at Bayside is $940 Cheers 

• Member Contributer
I hope you are wrong with this but this is really what I fear too. 

I do have someone interested in buying it as a donor bike.  He wants to marry up his front end 4th or 5th gen with my rear 6th gen.  It has been done quite successfully with someone here I think.  He is a member over at VFRW and I have seen the bike he did.  A fabulous job he did with that. He put a lot of work into it though.
I'm curious if you have any updates for us, Randy.

• Member Contributer

Updates?  On what? There were a few issues here that could be updated for anyone who might be interested, but I don't know what. But thanks for asking regardless of what I  may update.

Archived