So now I'm thinking of taking the Chunnel and crossing France to get to Spain instead of taking the ferry from southern England.

While looking at possible routes of interest for heading north to south though western France (which appears to be mostly flat so perhaps either coastal cruising or traversing a few national parks is all it has to offer a motorcyclist (any tips on route much appreciated)), I've come across the odd webpage claiming that new motorcycle road rules have been imposed since 2016 which are instant fines if not followed (easy moneytrap for unassuming foreigners) including the following:

- Hi viz vest must be warn if not on/in vehicle when stopped at roadside (assume motorways/highways/freeways), so you may as well be wearing it already if on a bike because as soon as you step off on the roadside...

- Conversion kit if headlights shine the wrong way (British vehicles in Europe). This may not be a problem if your vehicle is new enough to be the sort that shine straight as they tend to nowadays. Otherwise you will be blinding oncoming traffic and if that traffic includes a cop car... bingo.

- Spare set of lightbulbs and fuses carried onboard

- 2x breathalyzers (in case you use one you'll still have a working one). Don't French cops carry these?

- Sticker with abbreviation of your country of origen like GB (Great Britain) CH (Switzerland) AFG (Afghanistan) E (Spain)

- Extensive documentation and proof of roadworthiness and insurance, etc. (In spain they can check through HQ if you've got insurance) and/or a letter from the owner, if you aren't, granting you permission to use the vehicle on the dates in question... not sure if this must be in French via sworn translator.

- Lane splitting is a big no go

Anyone know if this is something the police are actively fining for? Will I get pulled over and grilled?

Now to find out if my lights lean to the left, could be a prob in Spain too if they do. I don't mind wearing the vest but want one that meets the law's standards and is robust enough to survive being worn on the bike although I understand I could swivel around and pull it out of the topbox, or perhaps they are not so desperate for revenue they would fine me in the few seconds it would take me to dismount and get it out of the topbox... cause the flapping around while I'm riding will get annoying and will eventually surely destroy the vest.

Any Euroadvice??

• Member Contributer

In 2014 I took a  friends bike from  Oswestry Wales to Imperia Italy in 48 hrs.

The chunnel is the way to go IMO. When you arrive at the entrance you will go through French Customs and Immigration right there in the UK, which is great. IIRC EU citizen to the right for a quick wave through. I had to go through the other passport section , but the guy just looked at my American passport and said welcome to France (cheeky) and nice bike ( Yamaha Vmax).

You will be directed to the first car as bikes are all offloaded first on the other end, which is great, your not stuck behind 500 cars not knowing where they are. I would advise that you fill up in Folkstone before boarding as there is nothing at the other end, just huge cloverleafs heading to the various motorways. You don't want to be looking for a fuel station there.

The laws you mention were supposed to go in force in 2014, but because they could not produce enough one time breathalyzers, and the refusal of French motorcyclists to wear high viz vests while riding (later amended to have in possession) they were kind there but not. We did not know this so we picked up some inexpensive vests at a MC outside of London. WE tried to buy breathalyzers before leaving but Mark said he got laughed at when he asked. Being a former motorcycle mechanic both our bikes had spares/tools as necessary. the bikes had GB plates so that was fine. No paper registration as the UK is all electronic, but we figured it must comply with EU laws. We did have proper insurance and the needed tax disc, which is electronic now also. Both our bikes had standard English lighting, but we were mostly on motorways. None of the cops we saw gave us a second look. Don't know about now.

One thing I do know, is that in general when stopped in another country they want to see that the plate, insurance and license all match your name. I assume that you have an EU license, but if for some reason you do not you should get an International license, which really isn't a license, but a translation of your own. I think the BAA would be where to go. Having one got me out of a  jam with the Carabinieri a few years back. We did notice there was not much lane splitting in France so we did it the French way.

I personally would head for Normandy by motorway then get off there. There is not really much to see between Calais and there. If I was going to spend some time in or near a city it would be Bordeaux. I'll have a look for my French maps and see if I can be more specific.

Hope some of this helps get the ball rolling for you.

Yes I have a Spanish licence, intend to run the bike through the MOT before leaving and have insurance with roadside assistance and coverage for Europe.

I paid the tax online and have the V5C in my name etc. I'm not a British or European citizen though, I do have permanent Spanish residency and a visa for the UK until March 2019 so I usually use the "other" lane at customs.

So I figure I'll grab a cheap French road rules pack online I see offered with hi-viz overcoat and breathalizers and a GB sticker...

There's something else I'm seeing about helmets having to have reflective stickers front back and rear of a certain size... Maybe I need Christmas lights as well.

• Member Contributer

You may have seen this already, but apparently lane splitting has been legalized in SOME parts of France, interesting.

There is also a link further down that itemizes the other new rules, and yes it appears you need reflective stickers on your helmet. 

https://www.drive-france.com/blog/new-motorcycle-rules-2016/

• Member Contributer

France has changed things around a bit over the past several years.  It used to be a case of getting off the ferry and pinning the throttle until the Alps, but that is sadly no longer the case...

During the Sarkozy era France did introduce a bunch of laws to try to lower their pretty poor road fatality rate (mostly due to drink driving, I would guess), but some were met with stiff resistance and were modified or dropped later.  I thought the helmet stickers law was actually repealed, but the others are still in place (not sure how enforced they are, though).  

Some others not yet mentioned are the ban on earphones, which I think applies in France, the ban on radar detectors (which in France incomprehensibly includes "safety camera" data on GPS units), the ban on helmet cameras (which I don't think applies in France) and the requirement to pre-register and buy some sort of pollution sticker when entering certain French cities.  France is a pay-on-the-spot traffic fine country, so make sure you've got Euros or a cash card that works in France, just in case.  (Which reminds me, the cheapest petrol is found at supermarkets in France, but some UK debit and credit cards don't work there.  Beware.)

The breathalysers are cheap and you can get them on eBay easy enough.  Folding warning triangles and high-viz vests, too.  

French bikers are not known for being especially law-abiding, so I still think you can get a way with a lot over there, but definitely pay attention anywhere near Calais (the police like to target Brits) and do not exceed 50kph in villages.  I wish I were going with you!

Ciao,

Thanks guys.

I was actually contemplating not doing anything francospecific and just pulling the "I'm an ignorant Australian" and apologize profusely... But I know ignorance of the law does not equate to being exempt.

I live in the north of Spain and ride a lot in France. No high viz vest, no helmet stickers, never had a problem with french gerdarmerie. Just don´t speed too much.

I think breathanalysers are not in force any more.

Best rides in France in Pirinees. 

North to south by west coast flat and boring, except if it´s summer and you stop in the splendid beaches.

Good luck

I live in the north of Spain and ride a lot in France. No high viz vest, no helmet stickers, never had a problem with french gerdarmerie. Just don´t speed too much.
I think breathanalysers are not in force any more.
Best rides in France in Pirinees. 
North to south by west coast flat and boring, except if it´s summer and you stop in the splendid beaches.

Good luck

Awesome firsthand knowledge!

Thank you!

I'm well acquainted with the Pyrenees so I know how right you are!

• Member Contributer

A bunch of mates & I travel to France every Nov.

It's a long boring ride down to Spain; why are you kissing off the ferry? I know it costs more but via Calais takes a lot longer to get there and heaps the miles on tyres/chain etc.

Fill up at J10 or 11 (Tesco or Services) before you travel. On the Chunnel, they usually load bikes onto the train last, off last, but on occasion we have been near the front. Note your booking number on your tank bag, it's all you need to get your ticket from the unmanned booth upon arrival. Tickets are valid + or - 2 hours.

My TomTom bike GPS has camera warnings cleverly legalised by them being a warning area rather than a specific camera location. There are signs on the road displaying similar as well.

Breathalysers are available from Halfrauds, though along with everything else you've mentioned, I think you'd be unlucky to be called upon to use them.

Beware speeding near Calais, especially on the way back; they target British number plates.

Beware pre-pay petrol stops; they pre-authorised 100+ Euros, you only use 20, then they don't "re-pay" the balance for weeks and suddenly your account is empty and your card doesn't work. This usually occurs at supermarket petrol stations. Happened at least 3 times to me last summer on holiday in Bordeaux.

Re lane-splitting: I usually watch the local riders and follow them and they're always filtering so I always do. Not had an issue so far.

As with most things Plod, it's not necessarily WHAT you do but HOW you do it, and also how you are dressed (armoured gear vs plain jeans etc) so they can see if you are a serious biker or a dickhead.

Enjoy!

• Member Contributer

Well whilst I can't advise you listen to my rant, but as far as I'm concerned its all rowlocks.

The odds of getting pulled in France are very slight if you behave yourself ! Plus do you intend to do any night riding in the summer ? If no then no need to worry about lights or stickers, as neither has any effect in day light. Do you drink & ride ? If not no need to carry breathalyser & NO has been charged for not having one the last time I looked.

So the only thing that you might get caught for if the Hi-Viz vest & as you say either ear it or keep it in tank/bum bag & the odds of needing it are slim to none, but a puncture or a breakdown is possible, so worth having  with you.

Ignore the rest & ride sensibly.

The plot thickens!

Thanks for the real life experience advice.

I haven't completely written off taking the ferry. Precisely because that part of France looks and sounds like a non-event biking-wise. Lots of rather dull miles me thinks.

Weighing up options. Will check availability for ferry ride again tomorrow and come to a decision. Wife wants me to take ferry so that's a heavy factor leaning towards the maritime shortcut!

At £163 on the 10th of April even though I don't have a cabin with a bed it's just a reclining chair probably an uncomfortable one it certainly takes the economic argument of whether to go over land or by sea I would get off the ferry at just after 6 in the afternoon in Santander so probably straight to a hostel or hopefully someone from the Spanish VFR forum has a bed for me and then the next day head off to see how far up the Picos de Europa I can get before I reach some sort of snow or ice line, then leg it home down to Murcia in the South East via the mountain ranges that I can find along the way probably down the Spanish Portuguese border and then cut across from there along the Sierra Morena to find the most amazing and beautiful Penibética system traversing Cazorla and Río Mundo national parks (endless curves for days that will warp your brake discs if you're not careful) and home.

d3fd20bbad454843dc39065349fa7a9b.jpg

• Member Contributer
19 hours ago, Mohawk said:

Well whilst I can't advise you listen to my rant, but as far as I'm concerned its all rowlocks.

The odds of getting pulled in France are very slight if you behave yourself ! Plus do you intend to do any night riding in the summer ? If no then no need to worry about lights or stickers, as neither has any effect in day light. Do you drink & ride ? If not no need to carry breathalyser & NO has been charged for not having one the last time I looked.

So the only thing that you might get caught for if the Hi-Viz vest & as you say either ear it or keep it in tank/bum bag & the odds of needing it are slim to none, but a puncture or a breakdown is possible, so worth having  with you.

Ignore the rest & ride sensibly.

That's an admirably pragmatic approach. :beer:

Archived