Breaker to replace 30a fuse?

KevCarver

• Member Contributer

So I was looking over my '99 in trying to assist one of the other threads here and noticed my 30a fuse holder is looking slightly crispy, golden brown and not so delicious. Last year I had to replace my old R1 FH012 (that I had bought used many years ago) with a brand new FH020 from Roadster Cycle along with a breaker to replace the 30a inline fuse I originally installed on the + lead to the battery from the R/R.

Now I'm thinking to replace the main 30a fuse holder (beside the starter solenoid on the battery box) with one of those breakers. We all know that the main enemy of VFR charging systems is the cheap connectors that come from the factory. They loosen up over time (20 years, as mine has a 1998 build date) and start to arc, causing the plastic to burn and melt. Exactly what I am seeing on the 30a fuse holder, in fact removing the fuse I found the blades are black. I assume with soot from the arcing. The breaker uses nuts on studs to secure ring terminals, which should be a much more robust setup. 

Thoughts?

(By the way, I am deliberately ignoring the "V****ss" word as I believe it to be useless for the above stated reason. Why add connectors when connectors are the issue? So please refrain from commenting if all you are going to say it add the "V****ss. Thanks) 

• Member Contributer

Had to look up the company. Seems like a stand up guy as he says on his website you don't have to buy from him to call if you have a problem.

http://roadstercycle.com/

Looking at the listing for the kit, I see the Breaker, but no specs are listed.

My initial thoughts are how that auto reset breaker will hold up to vibration as it is a moving part if it can open and close the contacts.

Secondly, if it does pop, its going to have to go through a thermal cycle before the contacts come back. That can be fairly quick or achingly long depending on the unit.

I would have a look at the unit and try to identify it first to see if its built for rugged duty and has a quick reset cycle.

• Member Contributer

He includes them as an option on most of the R/R retrofit kits he sells to use on the + side of the R/R output. One of the kits is now breaker only, no option.

I just swapped my inline 30a fuse holder for his breaker when I installed a new FH020 in August of last year. I haven't done much riding since, but he has been selling his kits for several years now and I'm sure he wouldn't offer them if he was getting bad feedback.

Since he is using it in place of a 30a fuse, I'm assuming it's also set up for 30a max.

• Member Contributer

I looked at the breaker I have and it says on the bottom :

Short Stop

12v Z50 30a

Quick Googleation found me a page that says it's an Eaton Bussman and a Type I Reset:
Type I Automatic Reset, which means the circuit breaker keeps cycling on and off until the overload is removed

• Member Contributer

Eaton Bussman are quality products, I wouldn't have any issues using their stuff.

• Member Contributer

I got my breaker in today and got it all wired in after work. Seems to function fine. I got it tucked down on the left side beside the battery box instead of the spot it's clipped to in front. 

• Member Contributer

That Fuseholder is a bit on the wimpy side. ---been using the MetriPack630 holders rated at 40 amps.

- That breaker is an interesting idea.... 

Archived