1993 VFR Stalling Issues when Warm

Geese

Bought the 1993 on a whim last week to take advantage of BC collector status insurance (own a pristine 1995 as well) , knowing it had issues and too many nicks on plastic for me.  May not keep, but I want to enjoy while I have it.   Previous owner stated it had carb issues (he's not a mechanic, but he guessed as such). He stated that he changed the fuel filter, fuel pump and regulator (finned type).  So my adventure begins and what I have done so far. 

Day 1 - Threw the bike on a trickle charger to make sure the battery was ok and every day thereafter.

Day 2 - It starts easy, but when it gets warm 10 minutes later it starts to stall with RPM dropping just before.  Eventually it will not restart.  I pulled the tank and removed the air filter.  The UNI filter that was probably in there for way too many year as no light gets through it and the foam is broken down.  Oil type filter, so nothing dropped into the air box, phew.  With no filter the bike runs a little longer, but started getting rough.  Added Sea Foam to tank and carbs just in case, but still stalls and won't start until it cooled down.  Then noticed the fuel pump was clicking (ok he told me that, but I forgot).  Gave up for night.

Day 3 - Read some blogs on fuel filters causing issues when bike was warm and bypassed it straight from tank (figured it was cavitating and sure enough the clicking stopped...side note I can blow through the fuel filter easy each way).  Now it ran and ran till the wife showed up when I was gonna brag about the fix.  Bad mojo  No, I am not done yet.  I mentioned I put the bike on the trickle charge.  It was 13.4V when I started my last attempt today then 14.1 when on choke, then after turning off choke it started to drift down to 12.1V.  Won't crank at 12.1 or below, or barely.

Should I try my R/R and battery from 1995 VFR?  Any other suggestions?  I don't actually think its a carb issue as it starts easy with or without choke when cold.  It runs for a while till it gets warm (just above 1/2 on temp gauge).  Then just dies. If more info is needed to help.  29k miles. It also doesn't have the same pull up and go my 1995 has.

Any other ideas, please help.  I have read many other blogs, but nothing seams to fit my situation.  Mostly cold start issues.

To close the loop. A new air filter and cleaning all connectors I could fine resolved the issue. Runs like a top. 

Now for the pesky issue, but maybe not an issue?  Clicking fuel pump. As I said earlier no clicking when I bypass the fuel filter so bought a new one. Still clicks. Held pump vertical to make sure no air in pump. Saw some bubbles come up to fuel filter but still clicks. 

Ideas?  Or just leave it as my parts shop said it is normal. 

• Member Contributer

The fuel pump MUST click....   it is part of why it works....

a piston moves up inside, driven by an electrical current. at the end of the stroke, contact point create a short, causing the piston to fall. and thus move fuel.

there is a small spark that over time will wear down the points. so you could place a diode to reduce spark.

Ok. I will give up the fight on the fuel pump. My 1995 doesn’t click, but if it is “normal”, I will let it go as bike is run is running great.  Thanks so much. Now on to painting fairing parts. First time. Should be fun! 

Archived