RC49

EX-XX

I posted a bit of a blurb about these over on VFR World, so figured I'd post here as well...

I do a bit of buying our of Japan through the Yahoo auctions. Got my SP1 wheel and rotors from there, and a few farkles for my Liberty (Legacy) wagon.

Anyway, I occasionally look for "spares" for the VFR, and sometimes the search will return results for RC49 bikes.

For those that don;t know, these are ostensibly 5th-gen bikes, modified (at factory) for Police use. They were made from 2001-2008 (according to the Wiki page I read), and have a few interesting features.

1) They do not run linked brakes.

2) They DO run ABS

3) The rear rotor is ventilated (think mid-80s FJ1100 for a similar style of rotor).

4) Completely bespoke instrument cluster, to show bike and target speeds and a pile of other crap.

5) Cut outs in front fairing etc. for lights etc.

6) 3-row oil cooler.(I mention this as I saw one advertised and have purchased it, along with the lines, in the hope that it will be a bolt in (slight) cooling upgrade on my bike.)

7) Probably a fair bit of other stuff as well. (The ECU, for example, has three plugs running into it, rather than the two a standard 5th gen would have...presumably for the ABS...?)

I saw in another thread where someone discussed retro-fitting ABS on to a non-ABS 6th Gen. Must admit, I thought (for about 5 seconds, give or take), about purchasing enough RC49 stuff to do that to my bike. Even without seeing that other thread, the conclusion I quickly reached was that you would probably need to purchase an entire bike, in order to strip and retrofit all of the ABS crap to it. Not only that, I wouldn't give up the SP2 front end anyway, so it was a non-starter.

Still, interesting to think that they were made until 2008 (Then replaced with a Police-spec CB1300).Might make for a few extra spares for the 5th Gens for at least some parts. BTW, the designation they carry is VFR800P.

• Member Contributer

They also have a different top fairing to clear the weird pull-up handlebars... 

I used to do a fair bit of Yahoo auction buying (until I got burned by Akibado abruptly shutting down with a bunch of stuff I'd already paid for), but do you mind sharing the name of your intermediary?  I'd like to buy some more Japanese-market stuff and it's always good to have a recommendation from a satisfied customer!

Cheers,

8 hours ago, JZH said:

They also have a different top fairing to clear the weird pull-up handlebars... 

I used to do a fair bit of Yahoo auction buying (until I got burned by Akibado abruptly shutting down with a bunch of stuff I'd already paid for), but do you mind sharing the name of your intermediary?  I'd like to buy some more Japanese-market stuff and it's always good to have a recommendation from a satisfied customer!

Cheers,

This

• Member Contributer

Thanks for posting this! I have seen the various famous youtube clips of them, but didn't realize the bike had a different VIN number. I'm still curious about the fact that 5th and 6th are both RC46, and knowing the "P" model 5th gen is RC49 just adds to it.  

• Member Contributer

I don't know what motivates Honda to do what it does, but I note that the previous "P" model was the RC35, which looks more like the RC24 than the RC36.

daisy_in_uk-img600x449-1469215443kb7uji3720.jpg.d5baf934efbe0651f238b1c3ebbc3a92.jpg  

I suppose Honda considered the police bikes different enough to justify their own PCN?

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Thanks for that info, good to know, I didn’t realise they made it for so long !

The reason these bikes have their own build code is because everyone does not realise that these are NOT converted VFR800’s. in most parts of the world the Police b8kes are converted stock models, usually done by private companies that are nothing to do with the manufacturer. But in Japan all the Police bikes are factory manufactured, so have to have a build code ! 

Being factory made there are more than just lights & sirens on this model. It has for example a heavier flywheel to keep it smooth at low speeds etc.  But most parts will interchange with stock VFR, except the modified ones !

11 hours ago, Mohawk said:

Thanks for that info, good to know, I didn’t realise they made it for so long !

The reason these bikes have their own build code is because everyone does not realise that these are NOT converted VFR800’s. in most parts of the world the Police b8kes are converted stock models, usually done by private companies that are nothing to do with the manufacturer. But in Japan all the Police bikes are factory manufactured, so have to have a build code ! 

Being factory made there are more than just lights & sirens on this model. It has for example a heavier flywheel to keep it smooth at low speeds etc.  But most parts will interchange with stock VFR, except the modified ones !

There 's probably a raft of other "specific" stuff on them I haven't a clue about. Didn't know about the heavier flywheel, as an example. Makes sense, though, when you consider that they put a (slightly) better oil cooler in them, for slow speed work.

@JZH, the guys I use are called "Kaiguys" (kaiguys.com). I'm not affiliated with them, but they do know me (I'm on the site "chatting" to Andrew, who runs the site often enough). Tell them Michael from Canberra sent you, if you do buy something, and they will likely look after me on shipping when I next buy something from them.

I saved a few photos of some of the RC49 kit on my computer at home; I'll try and remember to post them up here later today.

• Member Contributer

Yet to be assembled. I hope to convert it to a VFR800fi. And paint it the fastest color: RED

VFR800P model.JPG

54 minutes ago, VFROZ said:

Great idea Max. I’ve long thought of where to get a 5G model. 

Interesting, though, that the ONLY 5th Gen model I've seen is the "P" version, whereas scale models for the 6th Gen (and presumably others) are relatively abundant.

Max...good luck "converting" that. Pls post pics when you're done!

• Member Contributer

I'll try harder to get working on it but I'm a world-class procrastinater. I've only had it for four years. In my youth building models, military, auto (esp), aircraft, etc. was my main thing. Age 8 to 16.I won a couple trophies for scratch-built hot rod and paint in a Minneapolis Summer Aquatenial model contest. But for the last 50 years no-so-much!

But I will post pics when I'm done, for sure.

2 hours ago, MaxSwell said:

I'll try harder to get working on it but I'm a world-class procrastinater.

I tend not procrastinate. Too busy putting it off...

• Member Contributer

Very cool stuff! That rear rotor is crazy. I guess they drag the rear a lot doing all those skill drills you see on Youtube? That's why it's vented and not linked? Is the swing arm standard 5th Gen? Looked it to me.

I really like the VFR decals above the dumbo ears, as seen on the cover of the model kit (and I just watched one of the Youtube videos and saw them there). It's a mini version of the big ones on the side fairings of the regular 5th Gens.  Do you know if they are available for purchase? I would love a set, if so.

• Member Contributer

That vented rotor is weird.  Maybe it is because the drag the rear brake a lot...

The P models have their own parts lists, but in theory there is no reason why you couldn't order the stickers if you could find the part numbers.  I once ordered the ST1100 "police switch" and put it on my VFR for a while, and I think I've also ordered some of the P-spec pushbutton switches as well.  They've certainly sold enough RC49s to make parts availability a non-issue...

5ab95cc8da465_RC49sHauledAwayinHK.thumb.jpeg.c808a74f7eddfae64bbce43399a2dbe3.jpeg

(That was the sad end of a bunch of Hong Kong Police RC49s.)

Ciao,

@ Kev and JZH, I seem to recall the Wiki page mentioning that the vented rear was there for exactly that reason: That they "drag" the rear brake a bit/lot during slow speed stuff. (Must have been a few warped conventional rear rotors during original testing/trials for the bike when is use by the Police...?)

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, JZH said:

That vented rotor is weird.  Maybe it is because the drag the rear brake a lot...

The P models have their own parts lists, but in theory there is no reason why you couldn't order the stickers if you could find the part numbers.  I once ordered the ST1100 "police switch" and put it on my VFR for a while, and I think I've also ordered some of the P-spec pushbutton switches as well.  They've certainly sold enough RC49s to make parts availability a non-issue...

5ab95cc8da465_RC49sHauledAwayinHK.thumb.jpeg.c808a74f7eddfae64bbce43399a2dbe3.jpeg

(That was the sad end of a bunch of Hong Kong Police RC49s.)

Ciao,

Wow, that is sad...

I found a Canadian decal I wanted one time and even though I had a part# the US dealer could not order it. 

• Member Contributer

I found an OEM decals for VFRs website.

http://www.honda-decals.com/default.tpl?cart=1522104982146416614&startat=1&max=20&--woSECTIONSdatarq=180&--SECTIONSword=ww1&

I've ordered and received some but not applied yet. (Of course.)

5 hours ago, KevCarver said:

Wow, that is sad...

I found a Canadian decal I wanted one time and even though I had a part# the US dealer could not order it. 

KevCarver. Check your text messages. 

13 hours ago, KevCarver said:

Wow, that is sad...

Factory is not always the answer. I have a friend that will make anything you want on high quality materials. I've been working with him for over 10yrs. Want me to ask?

• Member Contributer
14 hours ago, KevCarver said:

Wow, that is sad...

Sorry, I should have mentioned that, yes, US dealers are generally limited to ordering parts originally supplied by American Honda (so US-spec, only).  For ROW parts you may need to order from the EU or Japan, or wherever the desired parts might have been stocked.  In addition, David Silver Spares habitually purchases inventories from sources throughout the world, so can have Honda parts from the US, UK, Europe, Asia, etc.  (But you still need the part numbers!)

Ciao,

9 hours ago, SEBSPEED said:

Factory is not always the answer. I have a friend that will make anything you want on high quality materials. I've been working with him for over 10yrs. Want me to ask?

Is that so...?

I wonder if he can replicate the 5th Gen VFR logo in a light gold outline (to go against a black background)?

BTW, grabbed some spare 5th gen parts off a bloke the other day. They were spare because he's doing a street fighter, which has your 'peg relocators on it. They look like quality kit, it must be said!

37 minutes ago, EX-XX said:

Is that so...?

I wonder if he can replicate the 5th Gen VFR logo in a light gold outline (to go against a black background)?

BTW, grabbed some spare 5th gen parts off a bloke the other day. They were spare because he's doing a street fighter, which has your 'peg relocators on it. They look like quality kit, it must be said!

I bet he can. PM me details & I'll ask. 

You breathed rarified air... only 15 kits in the world so far!

Archived