2015 Running in or Breaking in bike

landlover

• Member Contributer

Hi, is a steady speed on the highway for two to three hundred miles before the six hundred mile check in o.k? Or should it be avoided and wait till after six hundred miles. Does it make a difference?

• Member Contributer

What does the owners hand book say? 

Personally id say no, varied use better.   If you do have to use Highway then vary gears. 

• Member Contributer

Running in is not as important as it used to be years ago. Metallurgy, machining tolerances and oil technology have vastly improved. Keep the engine free spinning just don't labor the engine, occasionally for short bursts get the rpm higher and higher. After it's first oil change ride it like you stole it.:beer:

• Member Contributer

Engine brake often on dino oil for the first 600 miles.  Make the first oil change to dino oil.  Make the second oil change to full synthetic, if that's what you want to run.  Actually, I don't think any of it matters.  I've never heard of a VFR engine that failed due solely to engine oil.  So, there's another expert opinion, LOL....

From the owners manual for break-in. 

Based in this no issue with what you're riding on as long as you vary the RPM ad don't dump the clutch.

20180323_111426.jpg

I only commuted the first several thousand miles on my VFR, so I can't speak about holding steady for the first 600 miles, but I seriously doubt you'll see any adverse effects. If anything, I might give it a few extra miles before I call it "broken in," letting it cool and heat up a few extra times. That's just conjecture, though, I'm by no means an expert. I put a can on at 200-300 miles and put HP4S in at 700. I guess I'll have to break 100k to say it wasn't a bad idea, but 23k so far without the slightest issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived