Petcock body leaks

• Member Contributer

Went to ride to breakfast this morning, open the garage door and smelt gas. Dry under the bike, but a quick look reveals some dampness under the tank. Pull plastics, lift tank and it appears that the leak is from the seam of the petcock body. There are two little rivets holding a stamped flat piece of metal to the cast aluminum body. Sooo...what's the best way to go about fixing this? No new petcocks available (that I can find). Pull it off and try to restake the rivets? Grind 'em off, drill and tap for screws? (Is there a gasket under the plate?). 

Thanks for any input.

RM

• Member Contributer

I had the same issue, but thanks to the guys here, it was easily solved.....

• Member Contributer

it was easily solved.....

Thanks for the reply, did you drill the rivets? I have the fuel line off and it doesn't leak a drop from the outlet-it's definitely from where the plate meets the body.

• Member Contributer

No, I just replaced the o-ring between the tank and petcock, and that did it. I noticed the petcocks are no longer available, and I was balking at $85 

When it does leak from there, I will definitely grind of the rivets, replace the Square Shouldered O-rings inside, and drill/tap replace with screws. There was a link to vfrworld I think, but could not get it to work. Maybe one of the guys here can help with the correct part for that seal........

• Member Contributer

Just remembered, when I took it apart, the old O-ring was petrified, and came off in 3 pieces, and looked like broken ceramic.

• Member Contributer

Fantastic guys, thank you both very much. I think I'll try replacing the O ring first and if that doesn't do it I'll do the grind-drill-tap.

I am about to drill/tap/replace the internals. Bought my kit from UK: http://www.nrp-carbs.co.uk/shop/index.php?route=product/product&keyword=vfr750FL&product_id=4451 (link is for 3rd gen; they have others)

It comes with a bunch of replacement o-rings, replacement screws and instructions, but not the fairly small tap which is required. From where mine appeared to be leaking, that outer o-ring didn't seem to be at fault, but I replaced that as well.

• Member Contributer
On 3/20/2018 at 8:19 PM, Zopparoo said:

I am about to drill/tap/replace the internals. Bought my kit from UK: http://www.nrp-carbs.co.uk/shop/index.php?route=product/product&keyword=vfr750FL&product_id=4451 (link is for 3rd gen; they have others)

It comes with a bunch of replacement o-rings, replacement screws and instructions, but not the fairly small tap which is required. From where mine appeared to be leaking, that outer o-ring didn't seem to be at fault, but I replaced that as well.

It's a m3 or m4 tap depending on which screws they provided--just the standard pitch you'd get in every metric tap set...(yes, I do realise you're in the USA!)  The NRP kit is useful, but it's a bit overkill for a few o-rings.  

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

So the two local dealers didn't stock the petcock to tank O-ring, "...take a week to 10 days to get it in, $5". In the era of Amazon, you're kidding. Got a Viton 2mm x 24mm O-ring (thanks JZH) from the local industrial seal supply. 93 cents. Put it back together, not a drop. Thanks again to everybody. 

• Member Contributer

JZH is right on the o rings. For O rings I splashed out $10 for a box full.

Needed NRP for the innards, to have ON OFF RES functionality.

IMAG9843_thumb_jpg_c1356a046229dd1bb303cb34f1fd71b0.jpg.684417826a8cd5112bde3d2a7e84650b.jpg

• Member Contributer

1521879771863-1484224324.thumb.jpg.d6a137d6fca3fa4a0ced901277f34097.jpg1521879790607-1567330356.thumb.jpg.35c998417f46f7c3d492f8d400e9182c.jpg

Honda would specify ie 10.8mm, but am confident 11mm would do just fine..

Archived