Removing Heat Shield Near Right Footpeg - Need Help

I want to re-finish my Heat Shield on the right side of the bike.  I want to remove it.  It is attached to the footpeg assembly.  There is one square nut on the back side of the heat shield that I cannot get to for the life of me.  I'm thinking I need to remove the entire footpeg mount assembly since I cannot get to the square nut.  Any hints?

Thanks

• Member Contributer

It looks like there are three fasteners attaching the heat shield, as per p.15-1 of the service manual (see below). I'm guessing that the top/middle one is giving you fits as it is the only one to attach to a tab on the frame. That means removing the footage off cannot help.

Use some penetrating oil and take your time. As Auspanglish notes, locking pliers might help. If all else fails you can drill out the head of the fastener.

What colour are you repainting it? I never liked the black finish and had it painted silver/grey on my long gone '99.

5th Gen brake pedal.png

'99 VFR800 004.jpg

Yes, that worked after removing the rear wheel and pipe to fit the clamping needle-nose plyers in.  The Heat Shield is physically no longer bolted-in, however I still cannot get it out from behind the rearset assembly.  Lovely.

Alas, she is out.  It can come out without removing the rearset, but is tight and will be fun to get back in.  It will be cleaned-up and re-painted black again.  Thanks for all the help, gents.

• Member Contributer

A lot easier if you remove the rear master cylinder.

You don't need to dosconnect the hoses, just off the foot peg hanger.

It is still a pain in the arse.

• Member Contributer
14 hours ago, indianagenius said:

Alas, she is out.  It can come out without removing the rearset, but is tight and will be fun to get back in.  It will be cleaned-up and re-painted black again.  Thanks for all the help, gents.

Just be prepared to touch it up once back in the bike, I've tried, and its impossible to get it back in without bending and scratching the new paint job. TI wrap and removal is the best option, IMO

Thanks for all of the great help from the international group.  It is input like this that makes VFRD great!  This is not a great photo but suffice to say it turned out very well and was able to ride the bike today in good weather here in SE Indiana.

VFR Guard.JPG

• Member Contributer

Because of the boots & pants I wear, heat from that area was not very anoying. My current fifth came with the heat shield removed. The exhaust in that area is wrapped with some kind of tape. Now, the area is so well ventilated there is almost no heat in the area. I'll post pics when I get my machine back from the shop.

On 3/17/2018 at 9:35 AM, Lorne said:

It looks like there are three fasteners attaching the heat shield, as per p.15-1 of the service manual (see below). I'm guessing that the top/middle one is giving you fits as it is the only one to attach to a tab on the frame. That means removing the footage off cannot help.

Use some penetrating oil and take your time. As Auspanglish notes, locking pliers might help. If all else fails you can drill out the head of the fastener.

What colour are you repainting it? I never liked the black finish and had it painted silver/grey on my long gone '99.

5th Gen brake pedal.png

'99 VFR800 004.jpg

First off, very helpful post. 

Second, Ho Lee Phuk that bike is gorgeous!!!!!!

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, Lint said:

First off, very helpful post. 

Second, Ho Lee Phuk that bike is gorgeous!!!!!!

Thanks, I try my best to be helpful.

And, yeah, I miss my old '99 a lot. 

Archived