Much to be Gained from Power Commander?

V4moto

Probably going to go with a PCV and hopefully it will run nicely with one of the maps off the Dynojet site. I am still intrigued by the Rapid Bike Evo, I like how it uses the stock O2 sensors for on-the-fly tuning. But it's as expensive as a PCV with Autotune and the wiring harness is a lot more complicated.

• Member Contributer

It's colloquially referred to as the "tip-over indicator", because it usually pops out if the bike is dropped or crashed.  The non-US spec "side light" or running light is indeed accessed through that hatch. 

That lamp can be retrofitted to US headlight units by buying a bulb and rubber bulb holder and drilling a hole in the bottom of the headlamp unit.  Certain US bikes did have such running lights, including the ST1300, which had two, so the bulb harness for that bike gets you two bulb holders for the price of one...

Ciao,

On 25/03/2018 at 12:49 PM, Auspanglish said:

Probably the rubber boot / dust cover

No, I think he's referring to the small plastic panel under the lights which I think normally houses the air temp sensor (it does on the 6th gen)

See pic close up 

Air temp sensor on the 5th Gen is clipped to one of the front inner fairing panels FYI

• 1 month later...

Well I gave it a shot, I picked up a PCV from a member here on the forums. After two days fiddling with it i'm about to pull it from the bike. No matter what I try I get surging at multiple different throttle openings/RPMs. Tried three different maps for the 00-01 models off the Dynojet site with the same results. The kicker is that even the zero map, which is basically just a map with all zero's for the fuel trims, doesn't work properly. Dynojet has confirmed that with the zero map loaded the bike should be running off the factory fuel settings, but this is definitely NOT the case for some reason. I'm completely at a loss here and after multiple calls to Dynojet support i'm no closer to finding a solution. As soon as I disconnect the PCV and reconnect the factory connectors the bike goes back to running normally. Have tried with and without the O2 eliminators and have tried two different grounding locations for the PCV. I have updated the firmware and calibrated the TPS.

After doing some reading here, it appears as though I am not the only one who has experienced this issue with the PCV on the fifth gen. While Dynojet claims that the 16-005 model PCV works for our bike, my experience (and others) suggests otherwise. Is anyone here successfully running a PCV and were there any hurdles you had to overcome to get it working properly?

Several people with the 2000-2001 had the surging problem. I have a 1999 and it worked right out of the box. One would think your bike, in between the 1999 and the 2002, would then work. 😞

Try using the service check connector to see if the bike reports a problem in this configuration:

https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/forums/topic/16-fi-light-how-to-read-error-codes/

• Member Contributer
On 5/3/2018 at 10:18 PM, V4moto said:

Well I gave it a shot, I picked up a PCV from a member here on the forums. After two days fiddling with it i'm about to pull it from the bike. No matter what I try I get surging at multiple different throttle openings/RPMs. Tried three different maps for the 00-01 models off the Dynojet site with the same results. The kicker is that even the zero map, which is basically just a map with all zero's for the fuel trims, doesn't work properly. Dynojet has confirmed that with the zero map loaded the bike should be running off the factory fuel settings, but this is definitely NOT the case for some reason. I'm completely at a loss here and after multiple calls to Dynojet support i'm no closer to finding a solution. As soon as I disconnect the PCV and reconnect the factory connectors the bike goes back to running normally. Have tried with and without the O2 eliminators and have tried two different grounding locations for the PCV. I have updated the firmware and calibrated the TPS.

After doing some reading here, it appears as though I am not the only one who has experienced this issue with the PCV on the fifth gen. While Dynojet claims that the 16-005 model PCV works for our bike, my experience (and others) suggests otherwise. Is anyone here successfully running a PCV and were there any hurdles you had to overcome to get it working properly?

Sorry to hear that.  I had the same experience: when I swapped over to a PCIII-USB, it worked perfectly.  I wonder if DynoJet actually tested the PCV on a 5th gen--or if they just assumed it would work (like I did!)...  But with them now claiming it will work, they are at least somewhat incentivised to look into the problem and hopefully solve it.  Good luck.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer
On 3/25/2018 at 9:07 AM, V4moto said:

Very good observation! It turns out however that there is a black plastic cover over the access hatch. It popped out quite easily but to my surprise there was nothing to access underneath! There is no running light on the USA fifth gen but there is a small cavity between the reflectors where a running light would fit. On my bike there is no passage into this space, the plastic was never cut out for the access way.

Also, in the picture right behind the access hatch you can see the optical sensor for the signal dynamics headlight modulator. When it gets dark, the optical sensor shuts off the modulation and returns the headlight to standard operation.

The part number for the access hatch is

64365-MAT-000ZA

in the parts fiche. For the 2000 VFR, it’s desribed as ‘CAP, MAINTENANCE *NH1* (BLACK)’ for around $9.00

Archived