What type of coolant should I use for a coolant flush?

VFR80025th

07 VFR RWB - Should I stick to Honda coolant or as some have said they buy it at Honda auto dealer silicate free Type 2 Honda coolant.(Which is cheaper.)

If its a few dollars more I don't mind spending a few extra bucks either.

Thxs

Just a quick question.Why are you thinking of a coolant flush? Has the bike been idle for a long time or is the coolant really manky? Otherwise, in all honesty it probably isn't worthwhile. 

Well I bought the bike last year.
Previous owner changed oil before I bought it.

I changed oil to full synthetic 3 months later and flushed and replaced the brake fluid and clutch fluid.

I also replaced the air filter.

The bike is in tip top shape.

The only thing I did not replace on the bike is the coolant.

Bike is fine: fans come on at the right temp and no overheating.

Manual says to repalce coolant at 38,400km according to Honda.

I just figured I should change it.

Bike has 14.250 miles on it. Should I change it or not?

What do you guys think?

I'd be inclined to change it just to be on the safe side if you've changed other fluids etc. It's not an expensive thing to do, but make sure you get the right type as recommended by Honda. Not sure I'd go as far as a flush though.

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, VFR80025th said:

07 VFR RWB - Should I stick to Honda coolant or as some have said they buy it at Honda auto dealer silicate free Type 2 Honda coolant.(Which is cheaper.)

If its a few dollars more I don't mind spending a few extra bucks either.

Thxs

Everybody has their own favourite coolant. However just as you have suggested I have always used the Honda Type 2 coolant purchased from a Honda Car dealership. It is premixed, and Silicate and Borate free. Just like Oil's ain't oils the same can be said for coolants. Just like you I was happy to spend a few extra bucks knowing I was using the recommended Honda product.

Completly drain it  and replace it. Its a 2007 model if you are unsure if it's ever been replaced then just do it, it may be loooong overdue.

Cheers.

• Member Contributer

Honda coolant is really good. I've run it and been happy, just like the others in this thread.

Currently running Zerex, which is essentially the same thing, and It's great even though I've been really happy with the Honda stuff in past applications. 

Toyota coolant is the same Type 2 stuff, just red instead of blue. I don't know the huge differences between these and the old fashioned green ethylene glycol, but they've all served me well enough I keep going back to them.

Changing coolant is super easy and well worth it. If you're not sure, a gallon of coolant and some distilled water to flush the old coolant out. Cheap insurance and easy as an oil change.

Archived