Sign in to follow this  
Normand

Tires again !!

Will need tires soon,

any thoughts on Michelin Road 5 (non GT, not available til 2019),  Conti Road Attack 3 GT, Dunlop RoadSmart 3 GT and Bridgestone T31 GT.

So far i'm thinking of the Conti Road Attack 3

What have you got mounted now?  Any problems and how long have they lasted?

I got the original Dunlop, bought a 2013 DCT new last summer !

I really didn’t think anything about my OE tires till I got a spike embedded and replaced them at  8K miles with a pair of Michelin Road Pilot 4s.  The bike rode better everyday, confidence inspiring in the rain and with seven thousand miles, looks to last quite a while longer.  

I'm ready to replace mine as well.  My last set of tires I bought went on the Bking, Q3s.  I really don't ride long distances, except when I picked up the VFR last fall, Chicago to Missouri and back in the same day. Very stupid.  Rode the ZX14R there and did the deal and rode back.  That's when I realized that the stock tires just suck.  Recommendations?

I put a Q3+ on the back of mine. Just swapping the rear from my worn-out T30 made it feel like a 250 in comparison. Can't speak, yet, of the mileage, but I'm happy with the handling and grip. I haven't had it in the wet much, either, but the tread pattern looks like it'll probably give up some wet traction.

Dunlop had a $50 rebate going this month for a set. I believe Bridgestone's rebate may still be going as well. IMO, can't go wrong with either the Q3+ or T30 Evo. I was ready to get another set of T30 Evos, but a friend's high praise of the Q3 (not the "+" model) and the tinkerer in me always wanting to try something pushed me to give the Dunlops a try. It's hard to believe they're in any way related to the terrible stock rubber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just wore out my Angel GT's in 2600 miles. Very good tire, predictable with awesome grip. Better grip than Pilot Road 4's, but less feedback. I also got 4500 miles out of the Road 4's. Going to try the Road 5's this time. They were $50 more for a set, but if they last as long as the Pilot 4's or better as they claim, then it will be money well spent.

Still have to try the T30 EVO's, but after the slippery stock Bridgestones, I am reluctant to try another tire from them.

Just wore out my Angel GT's in 2600 miles. Very good tire, predictable with awesome grip. Better grip than Pilot Road 4's, but less feedback. I also got 4500 miles out of the Road 4's. Going to try the Road 5's this time. They were $50 more for a set, but if they last as long as the Pilot 4's or better as they claim, then it will be money well spent.

Still have to try the T30 EVO's, but after the slippery stock Bridgestones, I am reluctant to try another tire from them.

Yep, I put some near new BT023’s on my 6th gen which I picked up cheap off a riding buddy. On the edge of the tyre it feels like I’m riding on marbles with the back end flapping around like a gut hooked snapper. Very disconcerting. I’ll be going back to Michelin Pilots and no more from Mr Bridgestone thanks very much.

8 hours ago, Morph3us said:

Yep, I put some near new BT023’s on my 6th gen which I picked up cheap off a riding buddy. On the edge of the tyre it feels like I’m riding on marbles with the back end flapping around like a gut hooked snapper. Very disconcerting. I’ll be going back to Michelin Pilots and no more from Mr Bridgestone thanks very much.

Those tires were first released in 2010 so I would be curious to know what the date code on your 023s were. Bridgestone still makes & sells them today as a budget, long-life touring tire so that tells you everything you need to know.

On 4/14/2018 at 9:42 PM, RC1237V said:

Did you use the GT-A spec Angel's?  I believe they have the sturdier side walls for less tire flex and better wear for the heavier weight sport tourers like the VFR1200 and ZX14.

I get 4,500 miles out of my Angel GT rears of solid hard edge to edge riding... but that is the regular spec GT's on a Y2K 800... then again, with my fat a$$ our bikes probably are close to the same weight :wink:

4 hours ago, Dustin said:

Those tires were first released in 2010 so I would be curious to know what the date code on your 023s were. Bridgestone still makes & sells them today as a budget, long-life touring tire so that tells you everything you need to know.

I use BT023's on the back of my ST1100; works really well on that heavy, torquey old bus, even to the very edge. I pair it up with an Angel GT front, and the combination has not let me down once.

3 hours ago, Rush2112 said:

Did you use the GT-A spec Angel's?  I believe they have the sturdier side walls for less tire flex and better wear for the heavier weight sport tourers like the VFR1200 and ZX14.

I get 4,500 miles out of my Angel GT rears of solid hard edge to edge riding... but that is the regular spec GT's on a Y2K 800... then again, with my fat a$$ our bikes probably are close to the same weight :wink:

Some others have mentioned that to me as well, but I'm worried the ride will be more harsh, and I can barely muscle a regular GT on to the rim when changing tires. Some of the roads around here are horrible, while others are perfect. The 1200 is a heavy bike, and much of the weight seems to be on the front. Although I notice that when lifting the bike, so with me on board, it may be different. The other factor may be the amount of torque and power the bike has.

My 3rd gen wears out two rears for each front, but the 1200 is a 1:1 ratio every time! 

I seem to prefer feedback (slightly) over grip, but am finally getting used to trusting my tires. That being said, I need all the help I can get, and good tires help a lot............

1 hour ago, RC1237V said:

Some others have mentioned that to me as well, but I'm worried the ride will be more harsh, and I can barely muscle a regular GT on to the rim when changing tires. Some of the roads around here are horrible, while others are perfect. The 1200 is a heavy bike, and much of the weight seems to be on the front. Although I notice that when lifting the bike, so with me on board, it may be different. The other factor may be the amount of torque and power the bike has.

My 3rd gen wears out two rears for each front, but the 1200 is a 1:1 ratio every time! 

I seem to prefer feedback (slightly) over grip, but am finally getting used to trusting my tires. That being said, I need all the help I can get, and good tires help a lot............

Correct.  I asked the Pirelli USA rep that exact question years ago and he confirmed that the GT A spec would not help on a 5th or 6th gen for mileage.  It would be better suited for the 1200, in much the same way that the Michelin designs their Road 4/ GT.

16 hours ago, Terry said:

I use BT023's on the back of my ST1100; works really well on that heavy, torquey old bus, even to the very edge. I pair it up with an Angel GT front, and the combination has not let me down once.

I have used the 023s before as well and found them very competent tires. That said, the T30 was a massive step up in performance and the T30 EVO another step up again. 

On 4/16/2018 at 8:55 PM, RC1237V said:

I get about a 2:1 ratio front to rear on my 5th gen also... I love to accelerate hard off the edges and I steer with the rear quite a bit.  

You know better than I do about the torque and power of the 1200... I've only seen it leading the way through the twisty Arkansas Mtns... I couldn't carry enough speed to make it past GloryRacing on Push Mtn road when he was piloting his 1200... and he had a pillion!  It's no wonder you wear out tires quick if you ride "enthusiastically".

Just remembered......I have S21's on the RC Tuono and love them, so Bridgestone is not as sour as I thought - just those stock tires (BT-016's ?) were so horrific.....

The PR5's came in today, so I will post initial impressions as soon as I wrestle them on, hopefully this weekend!