Tires again !!

Normand

• Member Contributer

Will need tires soon,

any thoughts on Michelin Road 5 (non GT, not available til 2019),  Conti Road Attack 3 GT, Dunlop RoadSmart 3 GT and Bridgestone T31 GT.

So far i'm thinking of the Conti Road Attack 3

I really didn’t think anything about my OE tires till I got a spike embedded and replaced them at  8K miles with a pair of Michelin Road Pilot 4s.  The bike rode better everyday, confidence inspiring in the rain and with seven thousand miles, looks to last quite a while longer.  

• Member Contributer

I'm ready to replace mine as well.  My last set of tires I bought went on the Bking, Q3s.  I really don't ride long distances, except when I picked up the VFR last fall, Chicago to Missouri and back in the same day. Very stupid.  Rode the ZX14R there and did the deal and rode back.  That's when I realized that the stock tires just suck.  Recommendations?

I put a Q3+ on the back of mine. Just swapping the rear from my worn-out T30 made it feel like a 250 in comparison. Can't speak, yet, of the mileage, but I'm happy with the handling and grip. I haven't had it in the wet much, either, but the tread pattern looks like it'll probably give up some wet traction.

Dunlop had a $50 rebate going this month for a set. I believe Bridgestone's rebate may still be going as well. IMO, can't go wrong with either the Q3+ or T30 Evo. I was ready to get another set of T30 Evos, but a friend's high praise of the Q3 (not the "+" model) and the tinkerer in me always wanting to try something pushed me to give the Dunlops a try. It's hard to believe they're in any way related to the terrible stock rubber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Just wore out my Angel GT's in 2600 miles. Very good tire, predictable with awesome grip. Better grip than Pilot Road 4's, but less feedback. I also got 4500 miles out of the Road 4's. Going to try the Road 5's this time. They were $50 more for a set, but if they last as long as the Pilot 4's or better as they claim, then it will be money well spent.

Still have to try the T30 EVO's, but after the slippery stock Bridgestones, I am reluctant to try another tire from them.

Just wore out my Angel GT's in 2600 miles. Very good tire, predictable with awesome grip. Better grip than Pilot Road 4's, but less feedback. I also got 4500 miles out of the Road 4's. Going to try the Road 5's this time. They were $50 more for a set, but if they last as long as the Pilot 4's or better as they claim, then it will be money well spent.

Still have to try the T30 EVO's, but after the slippery stock Bridgestones, I am reluctant to try another tire from them.

Yep, I put some near new BT023’s on my 6th gen which I picked up cheap off a riding buddy. On the edge of the tyre it feels like I’m riding on marbles with the back end flapping around like a gut hooked snapper. Very disconcerting. I’ll be going back to Michelin Pilots and no more from Mr Bridgestone thanks very much.

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, Morph3us said:

Yep, I put some near new BT023’s on my 6th gen which I picked up cheap off a riding buddy. On the edge of the tyre it feels like I’m riding on marbles with the back end flapping around like a gut hooked snapper. Very disconcerting. I’ll be going back to Michelin Pilots and no more from Mr Bridgestone thanks very much.

Those tires were first released in 2010 so I would be curious to know what the date code on your 023s were. Bridgestone still makes & sells them today as a budget, long-life touring tire so that tells you everything you need to know.

• Member Contributer
On 4/14/2018 at 9:42 PM, RC1237V said:

Did you use the GT-A spec Angel's?  I believe they have the sturdier side walls for less tire flex and better wear for the heavier weight sport tourers like the VFR1200 and ZX14.

I get 4,500 miles out of my Angel GT rears of solid hard edge to edge riding... but that is the regular spec GT's on a Y2K 800... then again, with my fat a$$ our bikes probably are close to the same weight :wink:

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Dustin said:

Those tires were first released in 2010 so I would be curious to know what the date code on your 023s were. Bridgestone still makes & sells them today as a budget, long-life touring tire so that tells you everything you need to know.

I use BT023's on the back of my ST1100; works really well on that heavy, torquey old bus, even to the very edge. I pair it up with an Angel GT front, and the combination has not let me down once.

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Rush2112 said:

Did you use the GT-A spec Angel's?  I believe they have the sturdier side walls for less tire flex and better wear for the heavier weight sport tourers like the VFR1200 and ZX14.

I get 4,500 miles out of my Angel GT rears of solid hard edge to edge riding... but that is the regular spec GT's on a Y2K 800... then again, with my fat a$$ our bikes probably are close to the same weight :wink:

Some others have mentioned that to me as well, but I'm worried the ride will be more harsh, and I can barely muscle a regular GT on to the rim when changing tires. Some of the roads around here are horrible, while others are perfect. The 1200 is a heavy bike, and much of the weight seems to be on the front. Although I notice that when lifting the bike, so with me on board, it may be different. The other factor may be the amount of torque and power the bike has.

My 3rd gen wears out two rears for each front, but the 1200 is a 1:1 ratio every time! 

I seem to prefer feedback (slightly) over grip, but am finally getting used to trusting my tires. That being said, I need all the help I can get, and good tires help a lot............

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, RC1237V said:

Some others have mentioned that to me as well, but I'm worried the ride will be more harsh, and I can barely muscle a regular GT on to the rim when changing tires. Some of the roads around here are horrible, while others are perfect. The 1200 is a heavy bike, and much of the weight seems to be on the front. Although I notice that when lifting the bike, so with me on board, it may be different. The other factor may be the amount of torque and power the bike has.

My 3rd gen wears out two rears for each front, but the 1200 is a 1:1 ratio every time! 

I seem to prefer feedback (slightly) over grip, but am finally getting used to trusting my tires. That being said, I need all the help I can get, and good tires help a lot............

Correct.  I asked the Pirelli USA rep that exact question years ago and he confirmed that the GT A spec would not help on a 5th or 6th gen for mileage.  It would be better suited for the 1200, in much the same way that the Michelin designs their Road 4/ GT.

• Member Contributer
16 hours ago, Terry said:

I use BT023's on the back of my ST1100; works really well on that heavy, torquey old bus, even to the very edge. I pair it up with an Angel GT front, and the combination has not let me down once.

I have used the 023s before as well and found them very competent tires. That said, the T30 was a massive step up in performance and the T30 EVO another step up again. 

• Member Contributer
On 4/16/2018 at 8:55 PM, RC1237V said:

I get about a 2:1 ratio front to rear on my 5th gen also... I love to accelerate hard off the edges and I steer with the rear quite a bit.  

You know better than I do about the torque and power of the 1200... I've only seen it leading the way through the twisty Arkansas Mtns... I couldn't carry enough speed to make it past GloryRacing on Push Mtn road when he was piloting his 1200... and he had a pillion!  It's no wonder you wear out tires quick if you ride "enthusiastically".

• Member Contributer

Just remembered......I have S21's on the RC Tuono and love them, so Bridgestone is not as sour as I thought - just those stock tires (BT-016's ?) were so horrific.....

The PR5's came in today, so I will post initial impressions as soon as I wrestle them on, hopefully this weekend!

• Member Contributer

First impression of the PR5's are pretty good. Excellent feedback, and plenty of grip. Only went for one ride, and have only a few rides this season, so will push them a bit on the next ride. I do hope they last more than the 2,600 miles the Angel GT's gave me. Rear was even, but so worn I could barely see where the tread grooves were, and front was a triangle. New tires always feel better, so I will re-post after some miles........

• Member Contributer
On 4/17/2018 at 7:45 PM, Rush2112 said:

You know better than I do about the torque and power of the 1200... I've only seen it leading the way through the twisty Arkansas Mtns... I couldn't carry enough speed to make it past GloryRacing on Push Mtn road when he was piloting his 1200... and he had a pillion!  It's no wonder you wear out tires quick if you ride "enthusiastically".

Push Mountain Road, aka 341! My favorite road in the central time zone! Always tried to stay in Mountain Home so the ride began and ended on that great stretch of pavement. I recall passing Gloryracing (with pillion) in opposite directions near Big Flat, two red 7th gens, what are the odds? Thanks for the memories Rush2112.

Anyway, now that I've highjacked the thread...I will be purchasing a pair of Road 5's in early May for the Ducati, will report back.

• Member Contributer
8 minutes ago, RC1237V said:

Did you do a coast to coast ride on the 7th gen?

Not exactly. Moved from the east coast to KCMO for work in 2008, riding the 6th gen out. Found out pretty quickly that north-central Arkansas has some great, great empty roads. Push Mtn Road on the 7th gen, a few months after purchase:

Arkansas_10.10_005.jpg

• 5 months later...

My 2016 plated VFR1200 came with Bridgestone Battlax 023 as OEM tyres. Bike was Brand new in March 2018, and as at today has 5300km on it. I had the front tyre was replaced today with a Michelin road pilot 5 as it was stuffed.

The Bridgestone wore at a ridiculous rate, I don't race or ride *that* hard, to see it unroadworthy in 5000km is pretty disappointing, especially when the rear looks to have another 2000km left in it (according to my local dealer).

I will be interested to see if it was rider abuse, or a crap product from Bridgestone that killed it.

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Felladownunder said:

My 2016 plated VFR1200 came with Bridgestone Battlax 023 as OEM tyres. Bike was Brand new in March 2018, and as at today has 5300km on it. I had the front tyre was replaced today with a Michelin road pilot 5 as it was stuffed.

The Bridgestone wore at a ridiculous rate, I don't race or ride *that* hard, to see it unroadworthy in 5000km is pretty disappointing, especially when the rear looks to have another 2000km left in it (according to my local dealer).

I will be interested to see if it was rider abuse, or a crap product from Bridgestone that killed it.

5000 km on a BT-023 front is awfully strange. Those things wear like iron in my experience. I remember seeing over 16,000 km from a set I ran on my 6th gen.

On 10/27/2018 at 1:54 AM, Dustin said:

5000 km on a BT-023 front is awfully strange. Those things wear like iron in my experience. I remember seeing over 16,000 km from a set I ran on my 6th gen.

Less than half what I got on my OEM Dunlops on the old bike.......admittedly it was a much lighter bike

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I have 2000ks on a set of the new Bridge Stone T31's and just just love them.  I must add on this particular bike I always wear the fronts out almost 2 to 1 no matter which brand, the forks are dropped 4mm which loads the front more and also clearly that is my riding style and our crap roads.  Also the rear grip is a big surprise on the edge of the this Tyre.  As regards pressure I am still amazed how many people have no clue.  Rode recently with 4 people two of which I had never ridden with before.  The ambient temp was about 9c/48F.  I was chasing one of the new guys on his Suzuki Hayabusa (comparable weight wise to a VFR) it was fast fun for about 40 k's when inexplicably he folded the front at 60 mph and was a very lucky boy and went down between a couple of large trees, lucky we had had rain a few days before as the road edge was real soft so bike damage was minimal considering.  He was able to ride away, lucky! 

The first thing I noticed as we dragged his bike back to the black stuff was how little to no temperature in the front Tyre, strange I thought as we had been really going for it.  Went to my bike grabbed the front Tyre and it was well warm and we had been stationary for a time helping him.  We slowly made our way to a fuel station to clean up the dirt off his bike when I had to asked him what Tyre pressures do you run, his reply shocked me, 42 psi front and rear.  WTF I thought, no wonder he had no heat in the front and crashed. Shit that bike must ride hard because the roads are real rough in that area and particularly where he crashed.  I explained to him a good rule of thumb is ride the bike through some nice twisty road for about 15k's then check pressure and look for a 3-4 psi increase from cold.  He was clearly interested enough to listen to my advice and called me back about two weeks later and told me he had settled on about 34 psi cold and was getting 37-38 hot and his rear was down to almost the same to get the 3-4 psi rise, and he stated the ride was so much more comfortable! Two up is different of course.  He had based his pressures on the pressure written on the rear Tyre which stated 42 psi cold for a given weight, my bike may come close to that weight two up and wheel standing and if I keep that up for a 100ks I may get a 3-4psi rise in pressure really!  That ought to start some discussion. 🙂

Bridgestone T31 GT I would not use unless you ride two up with gear which I never do. Too hard!!!

• Member Contributer

It's surprisingly common for people to put the maximum pressure posted on the tire, not understanding what they're doing.

I try to point people to the pressure recommendations on their swingarm.

Archived