Two things I learned while riding today

GatorGreg

• Member Contributer

#1 In a pinch, you can use the mirrors to securely hold the typical plastic grocery bag - see pics below    :tongue:  I had slightly overestimated the capacity of the storage under my rear seat cowl this morning for a quick trip to the grocery store and had the need to carry one more bag. So I squeezed together the two mirrors, slipped a bag handle over each one, and then reexpanded the mirrors - it worked perfectly! Except for one thing - it completely blocked my view of the dash - LOL

#2 So the second thing I learned is that I have grown overdependent on the gear indicator. I kept thinking, am I in 2nd gear or 3rd? 3rd or 4th? 4th or 5th? Am I really in neutral? I've gotten way too lazy to remember this shit!  :tongue: I don't know if I can ever go back to riding a bike without one now.

IMG_3733.thumb.JPG.707071e64591b807085e83c379d952a5.JPG

IMG_3734.thumb.JPG.597d7b3e5ca61af04883b5352222275e.JPG

IMG_3735.thumb.JPG.9e4e7f3332eb5abc5de36ce8bd30b9ac.JPG

4 hours ago, GatorGreg said:

#1 In a pinch, you can use the mirrors to securely hold the typical plastic grocery bag - see pics below    :tongue:  I had slightly overestimated the capacity of the storage under my rear seat cowl this morning for a quick trip to the grocery store and had the need to carry one more bag. So I squeezed together the two mirrors, slipped a bag handle over each one, and then reexpanded the mirrors - it worked perfectly! Except for one thing - it completely blocked my view of the dash - LOL

#2 So the second thing I learned is that I have grown overdependent on the gear indicator. I kept thinking, am I in 2nd gear or 3rd? 3rd or 4th? 4th or 5th? Am I really in neutral? I've gotten way too lazy to remember this shit!  :tongue: I don't know if I can ever go back to riding a bike without one now.

Totally with you on #2. Especially without a slipper clutch!

• Member Contributer

Thank you. I've been in similar situation (didnot have my bungie net).

I'm with ya on the gear indicator. I've got a Ducati Monster that has no gear indicator, I love the bike, but I often think "what the hell gear am I in?"

• Member Contributer
50 minutes ago, LucaBrasi said:

I'm with ya on the gear indicator. I've got a Ducati Monster that has no gear indicator, I love the bike, but I often think "what the hell gear am I in?"

The Monster has enough torque that it doesn't matter what gear you're in :tongue:

• Member Contributer

I use the "seat of my pants" indicator for 35 years now.....

On the RC51 you learn very quickly to "get the feeling"... 

No ABS, TCS .... :goofy:

• Member Contributer

I have learned a few important speed/rpm indicators. On my fifth gen 60mph in top gear equals 4000 rmp, 65 = 4500, 70=5000. So at least I know when I'm in 6th. Others points may have become intuitive. After ~ 200,000 mi on fifth gens, somethings should sink in eventually.

• Member Contributer

I almost never look at my gear indicator.  Just more useless complication IMO.  Used to not having one.  I also very seldom forget to turn off turn signals.  I'm usually awake when riding.....  

• Member Contributer

After owning a gen 8 for 20 months I have finally gotten used to the self cancelling indicators, however just rented a 5th gen for 11 days in New Zealand and continually forgot to cancel them🤭 You can live without a gear indicator however they are great to have.

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, Bent said:

I almost never look at my gear indicator.  Just more useless complication IMO.  Used to not having one.  I also very seldom forget to turn off turn signals.  I'm usually awake when riding.....  

On my fifth gen I've had the turnsignals cancel themselves on rare occasions. So I talked to my servicer adviser and he said "Sort of." But they never cancel as fast as I want or as fast as they should.

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, Bent said:

Wish I could say the same but am working on it. You should know what gear your in and get in the habit of always turning off turn signals or when the coast is clear make sure they turned off themselves. 

What are the negatives of a turn signal that turns off automatically after 10 seconds?

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, landlover said:

Wish I could say the same but am working on it. You should know what gear your in and get in the habit of always turning off turn signals or when the coast is clear make sure they turned off themselves. 

What are the negatives of a turn signal that turns off automatically after 10 seconds?

If your turn signal is on for 10 sec. after a turn and there is another turn in that time, an approching vehicle could assume you are making that left turn and make his own left turn right into your path. I always try to cancel immediately. My machine is in for major maintenance and since my signal switch was not working intermitently I asked that it be replaced. At 56,006 mi.

I think they are always important. Every little bit of precaution adds up over time. 200,000 plus and never hit a moving object (excepting for a couple of hooved forest rats of course.) :wheel::3::wacko:

• Member Contributer

I recently drove through Iowa (ugh) and on a long stretch of nearly vacant interstate, there was a run over deer about every 100 to 150 yards.  I would hate to travel that road often or at night.  

If you don't turn off your turn signals with discipline, cars behind you will give your signaling no credibility and start assuming what you will or won't do.  It's a good way to get hurt.  Also, what MaxSwell said.   

• Member Contributer
13 hours ago, landlover said:

It’s not so bad in town when speeds are low, but at high speed  you need more time. I’m forever having to put them back on.  Usually reinforce with an arm signal if traffic behind. 

Nothing worse than sitting behind someone who forgets to turn signal off. It makes you wonder how much attention is being paid to driving/ riding. 

• Member Contributer
On 3/16/2018 at 10:12 AM, Philois1984 said:

Make that a sixth gen!!

5D7BB370-40FC-488D-BCA7-0C761ABE4CB8.jpeg

Holy crap that looks like an awesome road trip!!!  Did you do a thread on it?  If so, please post a link.

• Member Contributer
On 3/12/2018 at 5:18 AM, Smiler said:

I agree with the gear indicator thread. I would be lost without it now. Why is it in normal life I can count to 6 without any issues but once I am on a bike no chance?

LOL - exactly!

• Member Contributer
On 3/18/2018 at 1:18 AM, GatorGreg said:

Holy crap that looks like an awesome road trip!!!  Did you do a thread on it?  If so, please post a link.

Unfortunately I didn't do a thread for the trip, I did however take a lot of videos which I am in the middle of editing, will have to post some or put them on YouTube (don't hold your breath!!) If you ever get the chance to do a New Zealand road trip I highly recommend it, whoever designed these roads was definitely a motorcyclist!! And there is a world class motorcycle museum in Invercargill. Invercargill is also home to The Worlds Fastest Indian (of Burt Munroe fame) Renting the VFR was actually quite reasonable at NZ$112 a day, with unlimited kilometres.  (2005 model with 80,000km on the clock) ran like a dream. I clocked up 4,300km in the 11 days I had it. Great roads, great wine and great food!! and the Kiwis are very friendly especially the biking fraternity. Attaching a couple more photos to wet your appetite. Both taken on the road to Milford Sound.

IMG_3515-001.JPG

IMG_3558-001.JPG

• Member Contributer

That's a good rate for the rental, what about insurance etc .... North island?

When I rent in California it's about $120US per day plus $50 in insurance for a BMW GS 800, the only place with a VFR is in Sacramento which is not where I want to start/finish

• Member Contributer

It was the South Island, there was no insurance reduction option so the excess was $1500 if you had an accident, but you were covered for third party insurance (I suppose a 2005 model VFR is only worth $4000 to $5000) But it was an excellent rate.

Archived