5G-6G water pump question

VFROZ

Question

• Member Contributer

Does anyone know the if the 6G water pump will fit a 5G?

Part numbers are different, but it could just be internal differences. 

14 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

Hmm, I think I still have the two I replaced for both bikes. Can’t do it until tomorrow afternoon but let me see if I have them and see if there is any difference. 

• Member Contributer

All external measurements are identical. Bolt hole pattern, shaft thickness, length and notch are the same. Have not opened them up but imagine this would be the only area where the could be different. Standby for that report...

• Member Contributer

Although I pics, not in a place to upload them until later BUT after opening the two up, I cannot see or measure any difference. The only thing on the surface (literally) that appears different, is a marking.

On the 5 Gen, it reads 3MV9 and another that reads TT25

On the 6 Gen, it reads 6MV9 and KA26.

This is on the back side of the unit that is normally close to the engine side.

I hope this helps.

• Member Contributer
2 minutes ago, Kwee69 said:

I fitted a water pump of a VFR 800 Fi on my VFR 800 2017. The design of the propeller is different but it's a direct fit.

Upon opening the units up, no change with the two units I have (01&09)

• Member Contributer

Thanks folks, I didn't think there would be a difference. 

My 5G with 117000km has started to leak from the shaft seal, here it's AU$260 for a new one, but I found a low km 2004 for AU$36. 

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, VFROZ said:

Thanks folks, I didn't think there would be a difference. 

My 5G with 117000km has started to leak from the shaft seal, here it's AU$260 for a new one, but I found a low km 2004 for AU$36. 

Don’t recall the price I paid for the new one but it was less than $260USD I’m pretty sure. Hopefully the low km 04 will be good to go for you,

• Member Contributer

MV9 is the PCN for the early CBR600F (PC25).  Hard to believe that Honda has used the same water pump on the VFR800, but certainly possible...

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Figured I post up the pics I took. Take a look at the 6 Gen O-ring (lower pic, unit on the right) I think I know why it was leaking. Going to see if I can get a replacement O-ring, I think this WP is till good, other than the O-ring. 5 Gen maybe too.

25899704587_2eb36b6fdf_k.jpg\

38960439280_17a09c4abf_k.jpg

• Member Contributer

Looks a bit hard and flat.  Honda sells that o-ring separately, for sure.  But you could probably also fit a round o-ring, if you knew the correct diameter and section width--it would still fit in the non-round groove.  But it would probably require ordering a few different sizes of o-ring to find the best fit.  Not sure if that would still work out cheaper than paying Honda for a fancy o-ring!

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

The process to fit the evo shift star on the SP requires removing the waterpump. For the price of the 2 OEM rings I bought a box full with various diameter and thickness. Specified for fuel, coolant etc...

An O ring for my VF fuel tank is specified by Honda as 10,8mm. Am confindent my 11mm will do fine as well :-)

Archived