my vfr wont start even after cleaning the carb

at 34K your steering head bearings may need attention, cleaning and regreasing or replacement. Wheel bearings too need checking.

52 minutes ago, squirrelman said:

at 34K your steering head bearings may need attention, cleaning and regreasing or replacement. Wheel bearings too need checking.

Ill look at them to see how they look if they look shot i will definitely need to replace them if not ill just regrease them and see how they do

• Member Contributer

Five spokes, surely!  The 8-spoke wheel came on the '90-'93 model

I'm not sure I would want to tape up a tank unless there was absolutely no possibility of moisture.  The tape does keep anyone from looking inside... :blush:

Ciao,

2 hours ago, JZH said:

Five spokes, surely!  The 8-spoke wheel came on the '90-'93 model

I'm not sure I would want to tape up a tank unless there was absolutely no possibility of moisture.  The tape does keep anyone from looking inside... :blush:

Ciao,

I'm taking the tape off now so I can install the gas cap since where I had it there was chance of water moisture getting inside of it 

• Member Contributer
19 hours ago, jacob1996 said:

Ill look at them to see how they look if they look shot i will definitely need to replace them if not ill just regrease them and see how they do

Having owned five fifth gens since 2006, on everyone I've replaced the steering head bearings with All Balls tapered roller bearings on the original advice of my Honda dealer's mechanic.

The first bike was at about 75,000 miles when I began experiencing front end vibrations. At first he noticed my front tire was cupped. A new tire did not fix it. So he tested thusly:

The simple test of the oem ball bearings is to get the front end in the air and slowly rotate the bars from lock-to-lock. If you can feel a detent in the center the bearing are burnt toast.

On a 2000 it happened by 28,000 mi. I bought that machine with about 25,000 miles on it so I do not know how it happened so soon on this particular example.

Other wise, good for you in your efforts. Personally, carbs have always scared me. Lawn mowers, chain saws, other's boad motors. All bad carb experiances. So I'm impressed with your

persistance.

Good luck and good riding.

14 minutes ago, MaxSwell said:

...... on everyone I've replaced the steering head bearings with All Balls tapered roller bearings on the original advice of my Honda dealer's mechanic.

Cheap Chinese garbage i wouldn't use, bad steel, poor quality control.:wacko:

• Member Contributer
6 minutes ago, squirrelman said:

Cheap Chinese garbage i wouldn't use, bad steel, poor quality control.:wacko:

Really?! I had no idea. I've yet to have any of the tapered bearing fail. They were the mechanic's suggestion. So from now on I'll merely recommend quality tapered rolling bearings.

8 minutes ago, MaxSwell said:

Really?! I had no idea. I've yet to have any of the tapered bearing fail. They were the mechanic's suggestion. So from now on I'll merely recommend quality tapered rolling bearings.

It's the classic trade-off: you pay half as much for Chinese bearings but need to replace them twice as often.  Quality bearings come from USA, Germany, Japan, Sweden ONLY.

• Member Contributer

All Balls doesn't necessarily use crap bearings, but they do seem to be off-brands and often Chinese.  With the traditional US/European/Japanese bearing brands you know what you're getting.  People recommend All Balls mainly because they're well-known and easy to get.  But if you learn a bit about standard automotive bearings, you can see that it is not necessary to have a third party like All Balls figure out which standard bearings and seals you need and put them into a pretty package for you!

Ciao,

18 hours ago, MaxSwell said:

Having owned five fifth gens since 2006, on everyone I've replaced the steering head bearings with All Balls tapered roller bearings on the original advice of my Honda dealer's mechanic.

The first bike was at about 75,000 miles when I began experiencing front end vibrations. At first he noticed my front tire was cupped. A new tire did not fix it. So he tested thusly:

The simple test of the oem ball bearings is to get the front end in the air and slowly rotate the bars from lock-to-lock. If you can feel a detent in the center the bearing are burnt toast.

On a 2000 it happened by 28,000 mi. I bought that machine with about 25,000 miles on it so I do not know how it happened so soon on this particular example.

Other wise, good for you in your efforts. Personally, carbs have always scared me. Lawn mowers, chain saws, other's boad motors. All bad carb experiances. So I'm impressed with your

persistance.

Good luck and good riding.

Your method for testing the detent on steering head bearings is one I used when I heard a loud cracking noise from my front end on braking hard. There was an obvious notch in the centre position. With 40k on the bike I examined the steering head bearings when removing my forks for an oil change.  Looked like original bearings with a little grungy grease on them. Didn't have time to replace the bearings so I lubed them.  

Once put back together the detent was gone and they perform as they should. Intend to put stiffer fork springs for my weight this year and will replace the steering head bearings at that time.  

so I have another question, I looked up the size of my handlebars to buy a new set and it said 43mm, so I bought 43mm handlebars but come to find out there not the right size so do any of you know what the correct size handlebars I need so I can send these ones back and get my 30 bucks back lol 

On 3/10/2018 at 4:58 PM, MaxSwell said:

OK, just don't use Allballs for wheel bearings !  :blush:  spend the $$ on OEM quality.

the mechanic was somewhat fullashit.  why recommend any non-stock, lower-quality  replacements ?  just saving money isn't worth it. :wacko:   a better shop would have offered to order OEM parts for your repair.  what grease on the bearings ? 

17 hours ago, JZH said:

All Balls doesn't necessarily use crap bearings, but they do seem to be off-brands and often Chinese.  With the traditional US/European/Japanese bearing brands you know what you're getting.  People recommend All Balls mainly because they're well-known and easy to get.  But if you learn a bit about standard automotive bearings, you can see that it is not necessary to have a third party like All Balls figure out which standard bearings and seals you need and put them into a pretty package for you!

:beer:Hear, hear, matey !   :beer:

No, i won't say all non-OEM parts are not as good; but, with no testing we know of, why assume any extra risk of failure in manufacture or materials defects ?   I won't use Chinese parts on anything i ride, including an old winter-ridden '86 Yamaha. :unsure:  Just based upon what i've observed and experienced,  comprende ?

Now, about my wheel spoke miscount... :blush:  my bike was sitting in a workshop over 10 miles distant, and i hadn't visited it in months due to winter weather.  Appreciate your correction as i do hate inaccuracy--almost like a lie-- in myself, although i sometimes tolerate it in others. :wink:

Wasn't it the eminent Dr. Johnson, i believe, who quipped in a 1770 dinner at the Black Swan with great men men of that age that " An inaccuracy is as good as a lie, Sir, eh, Dr. Boswell ?

Archived