my vfr wont start even after cleaning the carb

so I'm new here my first day actually, and I'm having issues with my vfr. I don't know if this is the right forum to post this in so point me to the right place if it isn't. I picked up this 1994 vfr 750 for only $250 with a title in hand, and the guy said once everything was hooked back up it would run no problem. I got the harness hooked up, I have spark, and compression and fuel flows to the carb, but it wont start on its own. I have to shoot carb cleaner or put gas straight down in to it for it to fire up. it runs for like 5 to 10 seconds then shuts off and just back fires after. I took the carb off and cleaned all the jets, and little holes inside the carb, but it still wont run. if anyone knows how to help me id appreciate it since I have done and tried everything I can think of.

• Member Contributer

Few people get the carb clean on a V4 done correctly their first time.

Did you pull the fuel mixture screws (hidden behind aluminum plugs if it's a virgin) and blow those circuits out?  If so, did you account for the tiny o-ring and washer that always remain down in the hole?

Have you verified the fuel enrichment circuits are clear and the plungers are getting fully pulled out when actuated by the cable?

where are the fuel enrichment circuits located at, and once I get a tool too remove the mixture screws ill be able to clean those since there d shaped screws and I appreciate the reply 

11 minutes ago, Captain 80s said:

Few people get the carb clean on a V4 done correctly their first time.

Did you pull the fuel mixture screws (hidden behind aluminum plugs if it's a virgin) and blow those circuits out?  If so, did you account for the tiny o-ring and washer that always remain down in the hole?

Have you verified the fuel enrichment circuits are clear and the plungers are getting fully pulled out when actuated by the cable?

where are the fuel enrichment circuits located at, and once I get a tool too remove the mixture screws ill be able to clean those since there d shaped screws and I appreciate the reply 

• Member Contributer

I would say that something is still off with the carb cleaning. I don't think I've ever had to pull the mixture screws out on any carb to get it working right. Are you sure your floats and needles are sealing? Absolutely sure the pilot jets are clean? Are your coils grounded properly? Does it run if you give it throttle.

Off subject, but did you check quality and quantity of oil and coolant?

• Member Contributer
15 minutes ago, jacob1996 said:

I don't think we are talking about the same screws.

And Yoshi, pulling the screws is an essential part of doing a proper carb clean.  You have to make sure those circuits are clear.  If you've gone thru the trouble of pulling some V4 carbs it is ridiculous to not do that step.  I'm not saying there is a problem there every time, but those passages are tiny and easily blocked.

yes every jet was cleaned, I poked out everything blocking the holes, and even let them sit in carb cleaner for a while to break up everything and then shot it out with a air compressor, and I put the floats and needles back in the same way I took them out so I'm pretty sure there seated and sealing properly. and I put new oil and coolant in the bike so I know there good.

• Member Contributer

Sorry, I see the D-shaped heads you are talking about.  Yes, get those pulled and keep an eye out for the washer and oring like I stated.  Make sure you see a mist of carb cleaner come out the intake tract when you blow the passage.

The enrichment circuits are your "choke" plungers.   Make sure your "choke" cable is pulling the plungers out.

• Member Contributer

are the carbs filling with gas? I just had my magna do this to me the other day it started but then quit had fuel in the bowls but the not full I thought I had enough gas in a gravity bottle and did not hook the pump up, I was wrong, hooked the pump up now all is well. only had the pump disconnected because I was doing carb sync at the time.

also when drilling the cap for the fuel screws be care full not to hit the screw with the drill bit when you get through the cap. the bit could spin the screw in and break it. does not happen often with the d style screw as often as I seen it happen with a slotted screw.

2 minutes ago, Captain 80s said:

Sorry, I see the D-shaped heads you are talking about.  Yes, get those pulled and keep an eye out for the washer and oring like I stated.  Make sure you see a mist of carb cleaner come out the intake tract when you blow the passage.

alright will do and will let you know when I get them cleaned up since I got to find a tool to get them out

4 minutes ago, 3dcycle said:

are the carbs filling with gas? I just had my magna do this to me the other day it started but then quit had fuel in the bowls but the not full I thought I had enough gas in a gravity bottle and did not hook the pump up, I was wrong, hooked the pump up now all is well. only had the pump disconnected because I was doing carb sync at the time.

and yea there getting gas since I can releaser the float bowl drain screw and gas will flow out of all of them

• Member Contributer
4 minutes ago, jacob1996 said:

alright will do and will let you know when I get them cleaned up since I got to find a tool to get them out

Goddammit Honda.  Can't have anybody but "technicians" making adjustments.  I love Honda, but sometimes they piss me off with this kind of shit.

12 minutes ago, Captain 80s said:

Goddammit Honda.  Can't have anybody but "technicians" making adjustments.  I love Honda, but sometimes they piss me off with this kind of shit.

I know I wish there was a way to put a different screw there that would make it easier to adjust in the future but still do what its intended to do

• Member Contributer
5 minutes ago, jacob1996 said:

I know I wish there was a way to put a different screw there that would make it easier to adjust in the future but still do what its intended to do

Previous generation screws might be the same configuration.  And a nice convenient straight slot.  Ive never had a chance to compare side by side.  But once you have the tool it is kinda a moot point.

1 minute ago, Captain 80s said:

Previous generation screws might be the same configuration.  And a nice convenient straight slot.  Ive never had a chance to compare side by side.  But once you have the tool it is kinda a moot point.

so you think once I clean those and get them back to factory specs and make sure everything is cleaned out it will run since that's what I'm hoping for

• Member Contributer
1 minute ago, jacob1996 said:

so you think once I clean those and get them back to factory specs and make sure everything is cleaned out it will run since that's what I'm hoping for

Can't guarantee anything, but you have to eliminate what could be a prob before chasing other shit.  And don't go back to factory setting.  Before you remove them, turn them in counting how many turns until they lightly seat.  I would put them at 2 to 2.5 turns out from fully seated (or slightly more than factory setting).  They are setup up lean from the factory.  And again, verify your choke cable and plungers are working.  Sometimes the Honda V4's can be finicky with stock jetting when not getting full "choke".

It sounds like you have all of the other ingredients for life.

Just now, Captain 80s said:

Can't guarantee anything, but you have to eliminate what could be a prob before chasing other shit.  And don't go back to factory setting.  Before you remove them, turn them in counting how many turns until they lightly seat.  I would put them at 2 to 2.5 turns out from fully seated (or slightly more than factory setting).  They are setup up lean from the factory.  And again, verify your choke cable and plungers are working.  Sometimes the Honda V4's can be finicky with stock jetting when not getting full "choke".

It sounds like you have all of the other ingredients for life.

I know the choke is working since when I put gas straight into the carb I can start the bike with choke about half open to all the way open and alright ill do that and once I do and ill let you know what happens 

21 hours ago, jacob1996 said:

I know the choke is working since when I put gas straight into the carb I can start the bike with choke about half open to all the way open and alright ill do that and once I do and ill let you know what happens 

Hey man thanks for the tip i pulled the screws, shot carb cleaner down them and blew them pit with a air compresser and threw it all back together and it runs like a brand new bike so i just wanted to tell you thank you and that i appricate it 

• Member Contributer
14 minutes ago, jacob1996 said:

Hey man thanks for the tip i pulled the screws, shot carb cleaner down them and blew them pit with a air compresser and threw it all back together and it runs like a brand new bike so i just wanted to tell you thank you and that i appricate it 

Great news!  All springs, washers and o-rings accounted for?

59 minutes ago, Captain 80s said:

Great news!  All springs, washers and o-rings accounted for?

That they were everything was there i just think the screws were all the way closed and i couldn't get the tool so i just shot off a .22 roumd bullet and used the shell casing for the tool worked wonders 

• Member Contributer

And welcome to the asylum from the Land Of Low Weather Expectation. We'd love to see a picture of your machine, to assure us you are not a figment of our imaginations and so we can oggle another example of these works of art. We seem to never get enough of it. Crazy!

1 hour ago, MaxSwell said:

And welcome to the asylum from the Land Of Low Weather Expectation. We'd love to see a picture of your machine, to assure us you are not a figment of our imaginations and so we can oggle another example of these works of art. We seem to never get enough of it. Crazy!

Ill pot a picture, its still in the build so its not all that at the moment lol.

20180215_200824.jpg

you know the rear wheel is a replacement from another VFR ?  Good work getting it going.  Why the tape on the fuel tank top ??  how many miles ?

1 minute ago, squirrelman said:

you know the rear wheel is a replacement from another VFR ?  Good work getting it going.  Why the tape on the fuel tank top ??  how many miles ?

34k miles and no i did not know that i got that wheel when i bought the bike of the guy who sold it, andhe put that tape there so no water could accumulate in the take and cause it to rust and thanks man i appricate that

Archived