8th Gen headlight VFR800F

Mozza

• Member Contributer

Hi. I'm rebuilding a 2017 VFR800F ABS European version purchased from an auction. Big front end crash. Purchased most of the parts but the headlight is totalled. It will cost a minimum £1130. From the US I can save about £300 but the VFR version is slightly different VFR800F 2AC and part numbers are different end codes my version 33102MJMD12 US 33102-MJM-315.

Does anyone know of any reason why I won't Bea able to use the US version?

Thanks Paul

• Member Contributer

different beam pattern possibly ?

The bike didn't come from RS at Todmorden by any chance ?

• Member Contributer

Shouldn’t be as all the other vfr hav3 same headlight unit.

try the Japanese site that sells new parts. Hav3 bought stuff from them and had shipped to uk for cheaper than I can buy here.  

Look on the centrestantd or sticker thread for web address as cant remember it. 

• Member Contributer

Thanks Fink purchased some items from Japan but the headlight is still cheaper from US. Impex-jp.com for the Japan site I've been using, excellent value for most parts. I cannot see it being any different as they are all LED's so the drivers will be the same even though they have a different end ref to the part number too. From what I know Stanley are the manufacturer of the lights so would expect no change to design across any continent.

• Member Contributer

Thanks Woodie. Didn't think of beam pattern. Could that pose an issue in the UK. Copart purchase

• Member Contributer

I don’t think it’s the beam pattern, as the lights in Europe and Canada have the same part no as the UK one. 

Remember the crossrunner uses the same headlight. 

On same subject there are white panniers and a quickshifter on eBay at mo under crossrunner .One pannier £150 other £100. 

• Member Contributer
14 hours ago, fink said:

I don’t think it’s the beam pattern, as the lights in Europe and Canada have the same part no as the UK one. 

Remember the crossrunner uses the same headlight. 

On same subject there are white panniers and a quickshifter on eBay at mo under crossrunner .One pannier £150 other £100. 

Was just a thought, I've had older bikes MOT fail for the wrong headlight DIP. I know the universal headlights and other bikes are a vertical dip so they don't have to produce different beam patterns for L and R/hand drive countries.

• Member Contributer

The USA always used to have a different unit than Europe, due to the silly DOT regs.  I haven't checked the part numbers myself, but the D12 and 315 part suffixes suggest there is a difference.  Could be presence of sidelight or not, though, and nowt to do with anything that could fail an MOT?

Ciao,

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Remembered about this thread today whilst I had phone in hand, so took a pic of the lettering on a Uk headlamp.  Would someone in the US  care to compare?

20180320_160003.jpg

• Member Contributer

That's a USA DOT number after the circle with E4

• Member Contributer

There's one on eBay from the USA https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2015-HONDA-INTERCEPTOR-VFR-800-FRONT-HEADLIGHT-HEAD-LIGHT-LAMP-/302646900967?nav=SEARCH

Its got 2 broken tabs but is only $500

Dont suppose there's any members near Dallastown, Pennsylvania ?

• Member Contributer
On 3/20/2018 at 5:38 PM, fink said:

Remembered about this thread today whilst I had phone in hand, so took a pic of the lettering on a Uk headlamp.  Would someone in the US  care to compare?

The lettering on the front it not very useful, unfortunately, because, as Thumbs has noted, it contains both the E-mark and the DOT mark,--no doubt just to cover all the markets with the same outer lens.  But it doesn't mean all of the reflectors (or whatever they use to control the beam pattern on an LED headlight) are the same.  Honda usually marks the rear of the headlight housing in white ink to differentiate the market for the headlight: "A" for USA and "UK" for the UK, "G" for Germany, but the actual markings used now may follow a different pattern.  That is what Honda did at least up to 2004.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

The lettering (Fink's headlight photo) is exactly the same on my 2014 U version Australia and New Zealand model, just for info.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for all your help on this. To me it looks like there are no significant differences. I'll check out the eBay one too.

Archived