gen 5 vs get 6 brakes

• Member Contributer

This may be due to the fact that the 6 Gen uses 5 of the 6 pistons where the 5 Gen only uses 4. Although the two systems look similar, they are indeed different, particularly when it comes to the front system.

• Member Contributer

The 5G also uses a 12.7mm master compared to the 6G with 14mm, and that will have an impact on how far the  lever/master piston travels to move the caliper pistons. All else being equal (and this is the case with the different calipers) a larger master will give a firmer lever but less brake pad squeezing force. Or conversely the smaller master (e.g.5G) wiill have more lever travel/softer feel but provide more squeeze at the pads.

I went the other way with my ST1100; it had a 14mm master and had wooden-feeling, feeble brakes, I swapped that for a 12.7mm master and gained a lot more power and feel, but a squishier feel (fixed with braided lines). 

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Having torn apart quite a few brake systems of varying age during my project, I wouldn't use anything from the wreckers without rebuilding it.  Once they pull off the system it is no longer sealed up reasonably well and water from the atmosphere will make its way into the brake fluid.  Even the rear brake off a 2014 8th gen had evidence of corrosion and deposits in the caliper and seals.  You never know how long that stuff has been sitting open to the environment and slowly rotting at the breaker.

If you are going to de-link you will still need to address the lower fork tubes, since the left side mount has an integrated master cylinder. 

It's your prerogative to use parts from the breaker without rebuilding, but I wouldn't screw around using parts of unknown internal quality from a junk yard.  It's your ride and all but my advice is to do the de-link the proper way or just rebuild the 5th gen setup.

Archived