Bike won't start need help please 2003 vfr800 abs

VFRUNNER

I'm in need of some help . My bike has been sitting for a couple months and now it won't start .  It has been stored in garage Canada Ontario.    The battery was on a trickle charger off the bike . It turns over just won't catch.  I tried multiple times and no luck. I also tried connected to my car battery because the motorcycle battery dies quick.   Is there a trick to it ?   Should I use starter fluid ??  Please any suggestions would be great .   The bike has new oil ,spark plugs and new filter the whole shebang.   Yes there is had in bike .  

did you check for spark on the plugs?

did you store it with old gas in the tank? Stabilizer? Did you run it with stabilizer for a bit to get it thru the injectors?

Do you hear the fuelpump?

Did you check the fuses?

• Member Contributer

Did you check that the kill switch is in the run position? I've chased my tail a few times checking fuses and other more complicated items, only to find the kill switch was off the whole time. Start with the fundamental fixes first and then check more obscure stuff if you have no luck.

I stored with fresh 94 octane gas  about half full  in December .  it was in my garage so i didnt think i would need the fuel stabilized since i never had any issues before.  Yes i can hear the fuel pump.  The fuses are all good.  i did not check the spark plugs yet.   

• Member Contributer

You might try some electrical contact cleaner on the kill switch.  I've seen a no-start that was cured by a bit sprayed around the perimeter of the switch.   It settled down in to the contacts and removed the oxidation off them - after cycling the switch a few times she started right up.  Not saying this is your problem, but it's not out of the question and cheap and easy to try. 

• Member Contributer

It is not impossible that your bike battery is dead with an internal short that is dragging quite a bit of current, stopping enough reaching the starter/plugs. You could try disconnecting the negative  from your battery and just connect that to the jumper. Certainly have had personal experience with my daughter's car, in that case the solenoid would just click rapidly and the jump cables heated up. 

• Member Contributer

If you're bike is cranking over nicely, would appear your battery is ok. Give the flooded engine start procedure a go and see if it will cough and splutter back to life, might help if you jumper a car battery to your bike battery.

You may also have gathered a fair amount of condensation in your tank, perhaps emptying your tank and fresh fuel might also do the trick.

The flooded engine start procedure is described in the owners book.

Good Luck.

Cheers

• Member Contributer

Kill switch is good if engine turns over, as with it off the starter will NOT run. So ignore that.

Define a couple of months ? Some people leave 6 months & claim a couple !  2 months is a couple, any more is more. That said 2 months is fine to leave one of these, as i've done that every year for ages !  Though I normally try to start it at least once a month if just stored, as opposed to where I usually have bits taken off the bike for maintenance.

Only 4 things required for combustion, Fuel, Air, Spark & Compression.  

So lift your tank & make sure you don't have a mouse nest in the airbox, seems common to VFR's , that proves air, remove the air filter for further diagnostics.

For compression, the engine turns over, so should have a healthy pulse at the exhaust outlet, check with your free hand.

For Fuel, can you hear the full Fi system check at ignition on ? In a quiet garage, you should hear some relays fire when the igintion is turned on, then hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds to pressurise the fuel rail. Do you hear that ?  If yes then wear safety glasses & turn throttle to wide open & crank engine with the starter, you should be able to see fuel being injected in the throttle bodies.

Finally that leaves us with spark or lack there of. Simplest test if to get a spare spark plug & pull cylinder 1 (rear left when sat on bike) coil off the cylinder & insert the spare plug, rest the tip of plug on a solid bit of metal, like the cam cover bolt. Now crank engine, do you see a healthy fat blue spark ?

Let us know the results.

• 4 weeks later...

I figured it out . Thanks for all ur guys help .. the problem was very simple.  My power commander ground wire was not connected . Once connected started right up .  

Archived