How long do the 6th gen stators tend to last?

VFR80025th

Is there a general mileage that these VFR stators tend to last?

and if you ever need one is the best bet to go with OEM even 

with higher cost. I don't need one but just panning ahead at some point.

I currently have 14,250 miles on my 07 RWB.

Also, do VFRs with electrical add ons tend to have more problems with the electricals then bikes

like mine which are completely stock and no addons or mods.

Thxs

• Member Contributer

I have 83k miles on my '04, I've replaced the stator 3 times, once with a Rick's which only lasted 6k miles. OEM only for me going forward. 

My OEM lasted until about 52K. It went out while riding the dragon, so I took it to Wheeler's and Ken had a Rick's stator on hand, so we put that in. Fingers crossed.

I run heated gear and charge devices on it, but otherwise the electrical is stock. It has had the harness recall.

• Member Contributer

I replaced my stator & reg/rec at 105,000 km (65,000 miles). As far as I can tell based on the service records from the original owner, that's the first time. The stator was fried but the RR may not have been. I opted to chang both with a Rick's unit and kept the old RR as a spare. Currently 10,700 km (6650 miles) on the set and all is rosy. We'll see how long they last.

I tried to find an OEM stator from the local Honda dealer but they said that they were unavailable in Canada now.

• Member Contributer

I changed mine at 18,xxx miles and while functioning fine, it was a crispy critter.  I used Custom Rewind.  Couldn't beat the price, fast service and it's been working fine.  I asked for a bit of extra wire length so if the connector ever melts down far from home I can cut off the connector and splice it. 

• Member Contributer

The pattern I noticed over the years is on the average somewhere between 40-50K miles. Mine went out at about 42k if I remember correctly. This of course can vary from bike to bike but I will say that the RR should be swapped sooner rather than later. This along with beefed up wiring and removal of "questionable" connectors that seem to melt over time, is probably the best way to prevent being stranded.

As far as adding items to the electrical system draw, in theory this should be beneficial, to a certain degree i.e. not to draw more than the stator can put out, as the more you draw from the stator, the less the RR has to scrub the voltage off as heat. I have a few items I have added to my 6 Gen, that is a couple of cameras w/USB adapters, a  couple of accessories (heated gear and larger horn) and a Rowe Electronics Power controller (PDM60). So far I am at 70k miles and have not had any issues at the moment (knock on wood) but I did add a volt meter to keep an eye on things.

• Member Contributer

Fit a voltmeter (analog, LED or LCD) and get into the routine of checking alternator resistance and VaC output annually and you'll be good to go with piece of mind...

Archived