Hello from Nebraska

Megadan

Howdy folks. I figured I might as well join a forum or two for my new (to me) bike purchase, a 2010 VFR1200.  I decided after a few years of tinkering, fixing, and building my 1975 GL1000 Goldwing that I was tired of dealing with carbs and wanted something more powerful and better handling that could also still cover longer distance rides.  I have always wanted a VFR1200 ever since they came out, and while many people seem very split on their opinions of the bike, I can say that it feels like Honda asked me what I thought the ultimate bike was and built it.  

This is my GL1000, and she has been an incredibly fun old bike, especially after fitting progressive rear shocks and RaceTech front springs and Gold Valve emulators with a fork brace.  A Hydraulic clutch conversion and a few other upgrades later, a bit of a diet, and some Suzuki Sunlight Copper Pearl metallic paint make one nice looking machine (if I say so myself).  However, it is time to move on, so she is going to a new owner soon.  

21740369_10155739181266992_1575358291894

Anyway, on to the reason I am here.  I went out and got myself a younger "hotter" redhead.  I was actually not planning on even buying a bike for a couple more months, but when I saw this bike up for sale for a really good price, I had to jump all over it.  After the ride home, she has a tick over 10k miles, and has a House of Kolor Orange Pearl Metallic paint job (previous owner was a paint and body shop owner).  It also has some Throttlemeister bar ends and came with a few extra goodies like a Corbin seat, taller clear windshield, and Honda Panniers.

28576733_10156155602616992_8227861334354

My next steps are to get new tires, as the front is worn very poorly, and they are skirting on 5 years old.  I also plan on sending my forks and rear shocks off to Daugherty Motorsports to get setup for my rather large self as this suspension was definitely not intended to handle all 6'4 260lbs of me.  While I know the high end Ohlins stuff is worth its weight in gold, I am not a hardcore corner carver/track rider, so it's all wasted on me.  Plus I have read nothing but great things about DMr setups on these bikes.  The only other things in my plans for this bike is a DAM slip on because I don't like the look or sound of the Two Brothers can that is currently on the bike, and maybe some lighting upgrades.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read my ramblings, and sorry if the pictures are too big.  I look forward to reading through other mods/upgrades and various discussions on this amazing bike.

• Member Contributer

Nice bikes.  Great job with the 1100.  Did the previous owner of the 1200 mention anything about naming it "The Punisher"?   :cool:

• Member Contributer

Welcome to the asylum. Those are both beautiful machines. And that 1200's paint job is fabulous. You won't be seeing yourself coming and going on that.

Thank you gents.  I actually didn't get a chance to meet the previous/original owner directly.  The bike was on consignment through a nearby powersports store.  What's really funny about the Punisher emblems was that I never noticed them in the first hour looking over the bike.  It wasn't until they wheeled it out on the floor when I went to sign for it the next day that I saw them, and it made me kind of laugh a little.  My Jeep Comanche had a Punisher sticker on the roof under the headliner that I discovered not long after buying it.  It seems to be a rolling theme.

I agree, the paint job on the 1200 is amazing.  What is more amazing is how similar the two bikes look in the sun.  The 1200 is a little brighter, but check out the metallic pearl effect on my GL1000 in direct sunlight.  Very similar.

18835957_10155436935321992_8239997045702

I went and retrieved some of the goodies for my bike that I couldn't take home with me.  Cleaned up and installed the Corbin seat.  It looks really nice, but I don't know if it is honestly any more or less comfortable than the stock seat.  It makes some areas better, and then other areas worse.  I am still thinking of re-skinning the stock seat, and maybe adding a gel insert to the foam.  Still, the Corbin seat definitely looks nice. 

I ordered in a new air filter, some OEM oil filters, and 4 quarts of Pro Honda HP4S 10w30 synthetic, some Redline 80w90 "lightweight" Shockproof oil, and some high temp DOT 4 fluid to flush the brakes and clutch - the fluid is looking a bit dark for my liking.

I also ordered some Bridgestone T31 Battlax tires at a local dealer that are getting installed next weekend.  They had a discount on Bridgestones and were offering half off installation this month so I decided...why not.

I was initially going to send the suspension off to get done first, but I decided to go ahead and send off the ECU for a Guhl reflash while I have access to it doing the air filter.  I plan on doing the suspension sometime next month if all goes to plan.

28959374_10156171633076992_6239892474948316190_n.jpg

• 2 months later...

Just a little update after a bit of an absence.  Been busy with work and life.

I got the new tires installed and then parked the bike to strip it down.  After doing a bunch of reading, and being realistic about the use of this bike, I decided to send my suspension off to Daugherty Motorsport to have the forks and rear shock given the royal treatment.  Jamie is a top notch guy to work with, and everything with smoothly.  They even threw in the SKF Seal upgrade for free, which I can only assume is because they didn't have any OEM Honda seals sitting around.

suspensionback.thumb.jpg.e0729dbc1a00e331f810c61b5ecc246f.jpg

I spent today starting to re-assemble my bike.  Got the suspension all back together.

suspensiondone.jpg.f2cc54a4d1de6e0820c57a0699ec0dc2.jpg

I also got my new exhaust in today.  I was never a fan of the Two Brothers exhaust that came on the bike, and not because of the sound.  I just found it too big and too ugly, and I could also tell the packing was pretty burned out.  I managed to get my hands on the first release of the Coffman's Shorty exhaust for the 1200's.   

Before you say it, yes, I know it will be loud.  It can't be any worse than a blown out two brothers racing exhaust, and I found that easily tolerable.  Plus, it has 3 levels of baffling that you can choose from, from wide open, to two baffles.  I picked this muffler entirely because it is the look and style of exhaust that I like the most.

Size comparison with the Two brothers system.

coffman3.jpg.31c37de5df3855a2448bced755538e9e.jpg

After a bit of fiddling I got it to install at an angle that I was happy with.  Since the Coffman's exhaust has no hanger to keep it located rotationally, the standard mounting method for Coffman's is to use a small pop rivet.  You use a 9/64ths drill bit and make a small hole in the stock exhaust by using a pre-drilled hole in the muffler.   The problem is that they located the hole facing in toward the rear exhaust pipes, so without an angle drill head or air drill, it is almost impossible to get the hole drilled if you want the system at any sort of an angle.  I got around this by using that existing hole as a guide to drill a corresponding hole on the opposite side of the muffler, and then put the riven in place on the left side of the exhaust.  Very easy access for a drill doing it this way.  The rivet itself is then covered by the exhaust clamp.

At this angle, the exhaust has about 8 to 10mm of clearance with the lowest nut on the suspension linkage at full droop, and as seen, my Pitbull rear stand works perfectly.

Coffman.jpg.8b1f5b00396c61751e3ca5b8c60bbe7e.jpg

At this point, the only other thing I am waiting for is my ECU to be flashed and sent back from Guhl.  Then, if all things go well, I should be able to ride my bike again for the first time in almost 2 months, and it should be a completely different machine.

• Member Contributer
On 5/19/2018 at 3:41 AM, Megadan said:

They even threw in the SKF Seal upgrade for free, which I can only assume is because they didn't have any OEM Honda seals sitting around.

Nah, we have tons of seals here at the shop, I was trying to throw in an 'extra' since you were doing the forks and shock at the same time.  I don't always do this, sometimes I feel generous I guess!

I hope you enjoy your new suspension!

12 hours ago, JamieDaugherty said:

Nah, we have tons of seals here at the shop, I was trying to throw in an 'extra' since you were doing the forks and shock at the same time.  I don't always do this, sometimes I feel generous I guess!

I hope you enjoy your new suspension!

Well that makes you even more awesome!  Thank you!  I would have been quite pleased with OEM seals considering mine were leaking lol.

I haven't had a chance to take it out yet, but I will definitely say that after getting it installed and sitting on the bike, it is pretty nice to not sink all the way to the ground.  The preload sag was almost spot on right from the get go.  I just got the ECU back from Guhl and installed, so once I do a cooling system flush and get the panels back on I will be going for a "maiden" voyage.

Again, you are top notch! 

Got to go for my maiden voyage with the new suspension setup and the Guhl flash tune.

Two words...  HOLY $#@!   It's a completely different bike, and entirely for the better.

You are a wizard Mr. Daugherty.   The preload is perfect, and I just ever so slightly had to add in a tiny bit more dampening to the rear from how it was set to suit my own preferences.  This bike just darts into corners now, and I can take the same curves and corners at much, MUCH, higher speeds with complete confidence.  I loved the bike before, but now I wouldn't consider anything else.

The ECU flash was also well worth the money.  So much smoother and controllable and definitely more powerful than it was before.  It used to pull hard, but now it's like twisting a warp drive.

The Coffman's shorty sounds amazing, and looks amazing too!

I love my bike. 

33395789_10156345413306992_3672419753609134080_n.jpg.36d3df0499be04b736e72b9ab6e71ef9.jpg

• Member Contributer

BRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPP!!!!  :goofy:

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, Megadan said:

33395789_10156345413306992_3672419753609134080_n.jpg.36d3df0499be04b736e72b9ab6e71ef9.jpg

I think this is the nicest 1200 I've seen. Beautiful bike man.  

9 hours ago, adkfinn said:

I think this is the nicest 1200 I've seen. Beautiful bike man.  

Thank you.  I can't take credit for the paint job, but that is what attracted me to it.  I love Pearl Metallic oranges.  I can take credit for a better looking exhaust and proper suspension at least lol.  The bike doesn't sink under it's own weight now.

• 1 month later...

Love the exhaust.

Don't know anything about the ECU flashing??

With the ECU Flash did you tell them the exhaust setup you were doing? I wonder if the lil shorty exhaust will make it a bit Lean?

On 7/4/2018 at 8:03 PM, PetePower said:

Love the exhaust.

Don't know anything about the ECU flashing??

With the ECU Flash did you tell them the exhaust setup you were doing? I wonder if the lil shorty exhaust will make it a bit Lean?

Guhl doesn't have a specific flash for any particular exhaust with exception to maybe the DAM system.  When I called them I told them I had a "high flow" air filter and Coffman's shorty on it, and they basically said they just tune all slip on's the same.  I can only assume that, no matter how good a slip on flows, the stock catalytic converter can still only flow so much, and they just tune around that instead.  I have had no evidence of it being lean, and it runs more or less the same with or without the silencer installed at least in the lower RPM ranges.  The Coffman's is prone to popping (and a little flame spitting) due to it's length and location, and I know I have the joint sealed perfectly.  You can tell when the ecu turns fueling back on below 6000rpm when engine braking because of it.

Other than telling them about the intake and exhaust, I had the restrictions removed from 1st 2nd, and 6th.  I kept the rev limit stock as I see no need to stretch another 500rpm out of the engine.

With the restrictions removed, I have managed to get the front wheel to come up in first and second.  We aren't talking about massive wheelies, but a couple inches off the ground.  Something it never would have done before, even with trying.

My fuel economy is unchanged as well, with averaging around 34-37mpg under my normal riding conditions, with a best of 43mpg on a strictly highway run at 65-70mph and no heavy handed acceleration and a worst of 28mpg during a few runs through my favorite roads with a couple of friends.

The changes with the reflash that are most notable are actually the most subtle.  The bike is just smooth at any RPM.  I can take off from a light and never go above 3000rpm and it just pulls me along.  If I tried that before the reflash, the bike was very "herky jerky" and very rough feeling.  I normally don't ride that way, usually keeping the bike at 3500rpm or higher since that is where it seems happiest, but it is something worth noting.   I can also idle along in first gear and the bike just rolls along, no bucking or jumping of any kind.

I went ahead and dropped the cash on the Knight Designs pegs and a few other goodies as well.  TechSpec Tank grip pads and the OEM Honda tank pad also going on and a different style of lever.  It's so strange owning a bike I don't feel the need to modify a lot to get it how I want it.  

I got all artsy feeling and tried to get a couple of dramatic night shots in.  Not my best work, but not my worst either.

35272133_10156389890631992_33967865551912960_n.jpg.0f63ae610c5d10a00f09a327fdd0a651.jpg

35270199_10156390016756992_3395832282177601536_n.jpg.c5e827e1e67995c0fc43a41ed1ce6272.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Mate, you're giving me sunstroke looking at your picture! :ohmy: That is one hell of a show pony, looks FANTASTIC.

:fing02: :fing02::fing02:

On 8/4/2018 at 2:16 AM, Grum said:

Mate, you're giving me sunstroke looking at your picture! :ohmy: That is one hell of a show pony, looks FANTASTIC.

:fing02: :fing02::fing02:

Would it surprise you to know that I use it to get to work almost every day, as well as run errands?  She is not a garage queen by any means...  I am just obsessive about keeping my bikes clean lol.

Archived