long distance comfort

landlover

• Member Contributer

Hi, am curious how the eighth generation VFR800 is comfort wise for long distance touring super slab to get to destination in stock form? Any different than the sixth generation? What about the Honda bar risers is there a noticeable difference comfort wise? If you have done more than 300 miles in one day what was your set up and could you do the same another day or two or three days? Any 500 mile days? There still out there and the prices are good can it be a comfortable sport tour for an average in shape middle age male? Please.

• Member Contributer

Hi Landlover.

Guess the easiest answer is, it won't be much different to your 2007 VFR! My impression with the 8gen was the seat felt a little more comfortable. Have done many a long day trips on the 8 and 6gen, the longest being 853k's in a day on the 6gen and a few 400k plus days on the 8gen. Apart from a bit of sore arse and achy knee joints long distances don't worry me. I generally have a stop for a drink or just to stretch the legs every 150 to 200k's. It sounds like your body shape and age is similar to me.

If you are looking at upgrading from your 07 to an 8gen, you won't be disappointed.

Happy Riding.

Cheers.

• Member Contributer

For boring super slab to get somewhere nice, tow a trailer behind your AC equipped SUV.... :goofy:

As for the rest....  it is primarily "frame of mind", acceptong but foremost ENJOY that you are out there on a motorcycle..

did a few 500 milers and plenty 300+ during my trip around the Baltics

9.thumb.jpg.a3c852092859383c7abbe399614999f2.jpg

I've done a few 800k days on my 8th gen. I found it to be very cramped and uncomfortable. I ended up adding bar risers,lowered footpegs,foam grips and an adjustable wind deflector on the screen. It's now an acceptable tourer, but not an all day,everyday long distance machine.

its a nice bike,but there are better mile munchers out there.

laurie.

• Member Contributer

I've done a 600-mile+ day coming back from Italy on my 08 VFR; when it's important enough, you get through it!

I would have no issues at all attempting 600+ miles, despite my age, on my current steed; an 8th Gen engine with an upright seating position. Such a shame they don't import them to the US. <smug.gif>

CR 1.jpg

• Member Contributer

I rode my 8th Gen across Australia and back, last October. 10,000 kms. Mostly 500 to 600 km days, with a couple of 800km days thrown in. The bike was great. I would do the trip again tomorrow, if possible. I am closer to 70 than 60, so the body is a bit worn out.

The bike has standard pegs, bars etc, with the lower seat. Comfort on the Viffer is probably a function of stature. I am only 5'7" or 1.7m. Yep, a short arse!

For me the standard seat is more comfortable than the previous gen and is helped by being narrower at the front (like the whole bike). The seat is actually a bit lower, even on the high setting, but the footrests are the same, the end result for me being that my knees are a little more bent on the new one and take a bit more time to unwind at the end of a long ride. I'm 60 though, so that might be the same on a 6th gen now too!

• Member Contributer

Have done several 500 plus mile days with nothing more than the usual aches for sitting still that length of time.  Do a lot of 300 mile ride out days with no problems at all most of them being 5 day away trips. 

Bike is stock screen and seat. No problems 

However this year I’m trying a set of std height risers and a sheepskin on seat just for a comparison. 

I think it depends a lot on your size, weight, whether you have a beer gut, how you sit...

I do regular 1000 mile weeks and if the bike wasn't comfy I'd get rid. It has bar risers, I've adjusted the seat height to suit me, it has a double bubble screen on it too so I can sit quite comfy at 50mph with my visor up.

But whilst I'm no racing snake, I find it a better proposition comfort wise than my Vtec.

Had my OEM seat redone by Spencer and use it with a sheepskin and added 1.5inch risers.  Now this OLD man can ride 300 mile days on my 8th generation without any issues.

Archived