5th gen clutch assemblies

Ntolerance

• Member Contributer

Good question, best to look at the micro fiche and see if a part shows for more than one model. I know my 5 and 6 gens (01 & 09) are different, so most likely there's a generation difference just not sure of any difference within the same generation.

• Member Contributer

Did a quick look over at Partzilla. Here's something interesting. The outer clutch basket (no longer available) is the same from 98-01, however the inner basket and top plate are not BUT are the same for 2000-2003!

• Member Contributer

Also check the springs, if these are out of spec, they can show this with poor clutch performance. If the parts fiche at Partzilla is accurate, the part you are referencing is the one that is no longer available. The good part is that is the one part that is supposedly the same through all years of 5 Gens.

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, Ntolerance said:

My outer basket is worn in the circled area. 

I haven’t pulled the baskets apart yet. But the fibers and gaskets look newer. 

The clutch has near zero “feed” typically in Or out. 

A good way to prevent excessive wear or notching of the clutch basket fingers is to make sure you use the stock fibers or aftermarket that also have the thicker metal plates like stock. The Barnett fibers that I have seen (for CB's) use a much thinner than stock metal plate. EBC fibers that I have seen look the same as stock. These edges see a lot of force and the thin aftermarket alternatives chew up the clutch basket much quicker. If you haven't started to feel/notice it during clutch modulation and/or shifting you will as the issue gets worse. I recently replaced the basket on my CB due to this exact issue. Good luck!

Archived