1992 750

Howdy everyone! My originally post seems to have been lost in the recent shut down. I’ve been posting some in my intro post, but realized a new thread over here may be the best place be.

I looked today at the RR and realized it appears to be stock. I get 13.8 charging vilts at idle and up to 14.8 at about 5000-6000 rpm. I believe this is correct charge voltage? I will probably plan to change the RR anywAy as that seems to be recomended. Any suggestions for the best bang for the buck when it comes to replacement RR? Intend to try to be as economical as possible Here’s a pic of the current RR.

506f2a19816e5a6131c402328b66c3e8.jpg

Also, I found some remnants of the original decals. Would they have been gray and purple? There was a small strip on the backside of the side panel I removed.

9477772a65ae71aac45e3eb2d71fba51.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Actually, that is definitely not the original rec/reg for your VFR. The one on my '92 VFR had a tin metal casing quite different from your Shindengen unit. It does seem to be an older unit as newer ones have cast-in fins on the housing.

Dunno about best bang-for-the-buck rectifier, but if your's does in fact need replacement then an appropriate newer Shindengen is a good choice.

For reference, the first pic shows the stock decals on my '92 VFR. In the 2nd pic I'd applied red tape over the purple and replaced the VFR decal with the UK version.

92 VFR750 stock.JPG

92 VFR750 modified.JPG

Actually, that is definitely not the original rec/reg for your VFR. The one on my '92 VFR had a tin metal casing quite different from your Shindengen unit. It does seem to be an older unit as newer ones have cast-in fins on the housing.

Dunno about best bang-for-the-buck rectifier, but if your's does in fact need replacement then an appropriate newer Shindengen is a good choice.

For reference, the first pic shows the stock decals on my '92 VFR. In the 2nd pic I'd applied red tape over the purple and replaced the VFR decal with the UK version.

5a94de49ce70e_92VFR750stock.thumb.JPG.ac764c48658011fa244b1b2975014ebe.JPG
5a94de7083167_92VFR750modified.thumb.JPG.31fcb1e6a8c68f98eaa998af605aeb6e.JPG

Thanks for the reply! I was assuming it was stop RR due to the lack of fins. Are my charging rates safe to continue use with the current RR?

Here is the bike as it is now, the VFR decal is different and has been moved lower in the bike. Sold gray with red stripes were laid down where the original purple and mesh gray was. I’ll try to take more pics another time. 2ecc1d726572a433651e5ef3ae1dfa18.jpg

• Member Contributer

AS to your rec/reg, before splashing out $$ for a replacement go through all the connections you can find.

Pull off the right side fearing and look for a 3-conductor connector with the yellow leads from the alternator (stator). It can sometimes overheat and fail. The other end terminates into the rec/reg.

Under the seat check the battery connections: remove, clean, and replace them, taking care to correctly tighten the screws. Follow the ground lead and clean the far end as well. Check all the terminating on the starter relay, located adjacent to the battery. Output from the rec/reg goes through it to get to the battery so a bad connection here can affect charging to the battery.

Good luck.

AS to your rec/reg, before splashing out $$ for a replacement go through all the connections you can find.

Pull off the right side fearing and look for a 3-conductor connector with the yellow leads from the alternator (stator). It can sometimes overheat and fail. The other end terminates into the rec/reg.

Under the seat check the battery connections: remove, clean, and replace them, taking care to correctly tighten the screws. Follow the ground lead and clean the far end as well. Check all the terminating on the starter relay, located adjacent to the battery. Output from the rec/reg goes through it to get to the battery so a bad connection here can affect charging to the battery.

Good luck.

So, check/clean all connections and as long as the charging system seems to be working properly leave it as it is?

I was just concerned the the RR I have now may die sooner than later since it’s an older model with cooling fins.

• Member Contributer

My flatpack, no fins, OEM RR lasted some 50k miles before it died.

With a voltmeter installed (ie the LED meter from Signal Dynamics) you will see if something it starting to get amiss...

Your readings are good to go.

One more check you could do is measure the Vac (alternating current) with the engine well warmed up over each pair of yellow wires (there are 3)

Disconnect the plug at the RR and measure. at idle and at 5,000rpm. Output should climb to (from the top of my head) ~70Vac 

My flatpack, no fins, OEM RR lasted some 50k miles before it died.
With a voltmeter installed (ie the LED meter from Signal Dynamics) you will see if something it starting to get amiss...

Your readings are good to go.

One more check you could do is measure the Vac (alternating current) with the engine well warmed up over each pair of yellow wires (there are 3)
Disconnect the plug at the RR and measure. at idle and at 5,000rpm. Output should climb to (from the top of my head) ~70Vac 

This??

http://www.signaldynamics.com/heads-up-voltage-monitor/

• Member Contributer

Yep, that is the one I have!

Drilled a small hole in the black inner cover of the 4th Gens top cowl (near the instrument cluster) and fitted the LED in.

With my 4th gen totaled in 2016, the SD now does its service on my RC51

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/27/2018 at 2:54 PM, Dutchy said:

Yep, that is the one I have!

Drilled a small hole in the black inner cover of the 4th Gens top cowl (near the instrument cluster) and fitted the LED in.

With my 4th gen totaled in 2016, the SD now does its service on my RC51

Question, where did you wore this thing up on your VFR? 

Trying to to find the best place to hook the red wire to that will only read voltage when the key is on. 

• Member Contributer

Don't recall exactly, probably off the headlight or so...

The wiring is quite long so might even hooked it up to the (switched) additional BluSea fuse box.

Archived