Still love my VFR

dgordon

• Member Contributer

Esteemed list, had to post up a note about the absolute excellence of our rides.  I've owned a bunch of bikes over 30+ years, but truly when you get a VFR you really; truly have spoiled yourself for anything else.  I'm on my second after having a 01 new for 7 years.  Sold it in a haze of insanity for a new BMW r1200s.   Then went back to them with a new '07 RWB.  I look at what else is out there each year, and frankly always appreciate what I have.  Being honest as this last year made me think to look into something more comfortable, more upright etc etc.  Then I go look at them and sit on them and usually they are either ergonomically inferior or ugly as hell.  They also cost so much that it makes me even more happy to have what I have.  One bike I do like is the FJR1300, but they are huge coin, and for my purposes overkill. My VFR can do all the touring and scratching I need it to.  Sometimes you need to check out the competition to see how good these bikes still are.  My comfort issues are due to me being out of shape, and flabby. :-)   I've ordered an Alaskan sheepskin buttpad to lay on my Sargent seat;  have Heli's,  any other additional dollars will go to a DMR suspension update and adding to the tools inventory.  And a gym membership.   Wanted to share as I still love these bikes - the definition of keeper to those who have the same good taste.  :goofy:  To me there is still nothing out there like them.  And the V-4 sears into your soul.

Dave

• Member Contributer

Nicely put Dave, my sentiments exactly. Now on my 4th VFR800 an 8gen and just love it. Guess it's all been said before, but bang for your buck, it's a gem. Ease of general maintenance, styling, build quality, great fuel range, center stand, single swing arm with simple chain adjust never mis aligning the sprockets, and just a sweet symphony from a beautiful Vee4, etc etc............

I do sometimes miss my own 07 RWB.

Cheers.

Phillip Island March 2008.

IMG_1093.JPG

• Member Contributer

I once took home a customer’s FJR13. Definitely, not my thing, as it was so bulky and cumbersome feeling. If I were to get up into that realm, I’d be on an ST13 with Staintunes. Same wonderful V-4 sound. Same Honda build quality and feel. They’re really nice bikes, like the VFR. 

I have a 2007 RWB which I bought last year.  What an incredible machine.

Looks, sounds, presence and build quality.

I wast just at the Toronto motorcycle show and to tell you the truth nothing in 2018 would make me want to sell my VFR

except maybe a cbr11000RR but it does not have the all day comfort my VFR has.

Need I say more.

Nice pic GRUM.

I've attached a pic of Freddie Spencer teaching on a VFR800 at his now defunct riding school in Vegas.

Good enough for Freddie its good enough for me. LOL.

Ride safe!

Spencer on VFR.JPG

• Member Contributer
19 hours ago, Grum said:

Nicely put Dave, my sentiments exactly. Now on my 4th VFR800 an 8gen and just love it. Guess it's all been said before, but bang for your buck, it's a gem. Ease of general maintenance, styling, build quality, great fuel range, center stand, single swing arm with simple chain adjust never mis aligning the sprockets, and just a sweet symphony from a beautiful Vee4, etc etc............

I do sometimes miss my own 07 RWB.

Cheers.

Phillip Island March 2008.

IMG_1093.JPG

Looks simply aces Grum. :-)  Looks to me like you had Staintunes on yours.  They just sound so good on the 6th gen.  Be curious how you compare your new 8th gen to the 6th?

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, dgordon said:

Looks simply aces Grum. :-)  Looks to me like you had Staintunes on yours.  They just sound so good on the 6th gen.  Be curious how you compare your new 8th gen to the 6th?

Hi Dave.

Staintune indeed they are. Sounded great, but Bloody expensive at the time.

There have been lots of comments on the forum regards 6 to 8gen comparisons. Gadget wise you get - Heated Grips, Self Cancelling Turn Indicators, bright LED Headlights, all new fancy instrumentation, ABS, Traction Control, larger front discs, lighter weight, narrower width due to the side radiators moved to the front, better fuel economy, better 4 valve transition, gear selection indication, really neat OEM pannier fitment, great improvement on the Electrical Issues the 6gen used to suffer from, easy knob adjustable rear suspension pre-load, you also have the option of fitting a Quick Shifter to the 8gen, Hi and Lo seat height, etc.....

Ride wise - The 8gen certainly feels lighter and a little more nimble through the twisties, silky smooth gear box and fueling is excellent. My only criticism is the suspension feels a little too harsh no matter what the setting. My overall impression, after 50,000k's is that the 8gen, is a more refined machine over the 6gen and I'm extremely happy with it.

Cheers.

Grum.

VFRstaintunes 005.jpg

• Member Contributer
On 2/26/2018 at 6:02 PM, dgordon said:

Esteemed list, had to post up a note about the absolute excellence of our rides.  I've owned a bunch of bikes over 30+ years, but truly when you get a VFR you really; truly have spoiled yourself for anything else.  I'm on my second after having a 01 new for 7 years.  Sold it in a haze of insanity for a new BMW r1200s.   Then went back to them with a new '07 RWB.  I look at what else is out there each year, and frankly always appreciate what I have.  Being honest as this last year made me think to look into something more comfortable, more upright etc etc.  Then I go look at them and sit on them and usually they are either ergonomically inferior or ugly as hell.  They also cost so much that it makes me even more happy to have what I have.  One bike I do like is the FJR1300, but they are huge coin, and for my purposes overkill. My VFR can do all the touring and scratching I need it to.  Sometimes you need to check out the competition to see how good these bikes still are.  My comfort issues are due to me being out of shape, and flabby. :-)   I've ordered an Alaskan sheepskin buttpad to lay on my Sargent seat;  have Heli's,  any other additional dollars will go to a DMR suspension update and adding to the tools inventory.  And a gym membership.   Wanted to share as I still love these bikes - the definition of keeper to those who have the same good taste.  :goofy:  To me there is still nothing out there like them.  And the V-4 sears into your soul.

Dave

I could not put this any better - wouldn't change a word.     I'll never understand why some (many I suppose)  don't get it. 

• Member Contributer
On 2/27/2018 at 12:23 PM, VFR80025th said:

I have a 2007 RWB which I bought last year.  What an incredible machine.

Looks, sounds, presence and build quality.

I wast just at the Toronto motorcycle show and to tell you the truth nothing in 2018 would make me want to sell my VFR

except maybe a cbr11000RR but it does not have the all day comfort my VFR has.

Need I say more.

Nice pic GRUM.

I've attached a pic of Freddie Spencer teaching on a VFR800 at his now defunct riding school in Vegas.

Good enough for Freddie its good enough for me. LOL.

Ride safe!

Spencer on VFR.JPG

I purchased this bike after the school shut down. after deciding to keep my 4th and 5th gens it was sold on, and the new owner removed the stickers.... but it's still doing great :)

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, VFR80025th said:

Oh Wow! That's incredible!

What tires did it have when you bought it.

Interesting tid bit. Thxs slo1

Freddie used Pilot Powers on all the bikes at the school. He helped Michelin develop the radial motorcycle tire back in the day, and so that's all he ran.

When Nick started the Yamaha Champs school they went Dunlop Q3 for all the school bikes, i think..

Modern tires are amazing......

Archived