It was 20 years ago today…

Lorne

• Member Contributer

Almost exactly 20 years ago I traded my VTR1000F for a spanking new VFR800. Both were first year models, and the first ones to arrive at my local shop. Over the years I've gone back and forth between VFRs and VTRs. It may be heresy to say so but my perfect bike would be a 5th/6th gen VFR with a VTR1000 motor.

First pic is trade-in day, second is atop Sonora Pass, Cal., en route to the 1998 WSB races at Laguna Seca.

Action MC.JPG

Sonora Pass 2.JPG

• Member Contributer

I'd like a 6G VFR (for the styling and ride position) with an RC51 motor...

I own both a 5G and a 1997 VTR and swap between them often. The VFR is the more sophisticated but the v-twin and some loud pipes do put a smile on my face every time. The ST1100 is my go-to bike for the long haul. Together, these cost less than half the price of a new 8G!

1kjWhYpVLBRiMDt0sIPI7eDtuZBQHAUOVlGb3ap9

• Member Contributer

I wish I had a photo of my 4th and 5th gens at the dealership when I traded for my 5th gen - also coming up on 20 years in Dec.  So did some 5th gens come new with white wheels?  I have never seen that from Honda.  My 5th gen is the only bike that will stay with me when my riding days end.  Hopefully that's still a long way off! 

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, Terry said:

I'd like a 6G VFR (for the styling and ride position) with an RC51 motor...

I own both a 5G and a 1997 VTR and swap between them often. 

Terry, good to hear that I'm not the only one. Yep, an SP1 motor would definitely add some spice along the lines of Ducati's ST4S.

Over the years I've had three different VTRs, two 3Gs, two 5Gs, and currently a 6G. Unfortunately I've never had the space to keep more than one at a time. You are a lucky man. And I'd love to visit New Zealand one of these days.

51 minutes ago, Cogswell said:

I wish I had a photo of my 4th and 5th gens at the dealership when I traded for my 5th gen - also coming up on 20 years in Dec.  So did some 5th gens come new with white wheels?  I have never seen that from Honda.  My 5th gen is the only bike that will stay with me when my riding days end.  Hopefully that's still a long way off! 

Cogs, as best I can recall no 5G came with white wheels. Canada got blue, green, and silver VFR800s that came with silver/grey wheels. 

My '91 VFR750 had gold-ish coloured wheels but I always wanted white like the '90's had. So when my '98 VFR800 arrived with black wheels I decided to have them painted before taking delivery. After it was stolen I did the same with the yellow '99 5G that replaced it.

• Member Contributer

SHawks  speak to me... every time i sell one, another seems to come calling soon after. But i'm over Hawks, i think.... 4th gen has been my constant.. Maybe  Shawk, 5th gen, and a 4th gen would be ideal...

3redhondas002xq8.jpg

77z7bw.jpg
WMKy3e.jpg

Archived