Angled Valve Stems

blackmax

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Duc2V4 said:

So far the easiest tires I've had to mount have been Michelins and Pirelli. The Super Corsas took very little effort and one set I didn't even have to use any weights for balancing. Some of the most troublesome I've had to deal with have been Dunlops. One tire I had to break the bead and re-position the tire as it was so out of balance after the first mounting. Took me a while to get it right and even then took a quite a few weights to get it right.

As far as the guy in the video, the amount of downward force he uses to get the tire on while it rest on the rotor made me cringe. I was also half expecting the bead to pop when he had the tire resting against the mirror and cracking it. The two things I found that make a difference in mounting is heat and lubrication. Nothing worse than trying to mount a cold tire and without any lubrication, good luck with that. (I know, that's what she said)

Yeah, the rotors took a beating for sure and the tire on the mirror while setting the bead was, ummmm different.

Also when he flipped the tire and immediately ran his finger around the bead without giving it a thorough look made me duck. If the bead on that side decided to seat while he was doing that I'm quite sure the video would have ended with a emergency room visit.

• Member Contributer

In addition to the poor procedures listed above, I thougt to get the torque values accurate, the fitting should be dry i.e. no loctite. Is that correct?

• Member Contributer

The (original) Bridgeports come with a dry lube already applied, IIRC.  Don't know about the knock-offs.  Torque values can be specified for wet or dry threads, but the default is dry, so if you lube threads and then apply the "dry" torque, it might not end so well...  Especially these lightweight alloy fittings.  The appropriate dry (well, factory threadlock) torque value would be in inch-pounds, I would think.

Ciao,

• 5 weeks later...

Got some off Ebay and had them fitted last week (along with a new set of Bridgestone T30s) and they're brilliant! It's soooo nice not scrape the flesh off my fingers on the brake discs :blush:

Cost a  grand total of £4.24 including postage :cheerleader:

eBay item number:152215684826

Angled valves.jpg

My oem stems were looking pretty cracked when I swapped tires a couple months ago. 2014 bike I bought in mid 2015, and ride 5 days+ a week in Phoenix heat and sun. So I went ahead and swapped to the aluminum 90° stems. I've not hit full speed, but definitely been quite high in the revs in 6th, with zero concern. 

I purchased the genuine Honda ones 42755MKAD81 used on 2017 model, haven't fitted them yet. Got them through Webike Japan, not a big cost from memory.

I did have a used 2nd hand one fitted when I had the puncture repaired on rear at 500kms on the new tyre. no probs.

• Member Contributer

Do they have a "B" on the side?  I wonder if they're original Bridgeport valves just re-packaged and sold by Honda.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer
21 hours ago, PetePower said:

I purchased the genuine Honda ones 42755MKAD81 used on 2017 model, haven't fitted them yet. Got them through Webike Japan, not a big cost from memory.

I did have a used 2nd hand one fitted when I had the puncture repaired on rear at 500kms on the new tyre. no probs.

I didn't know Honda made them as an accessory?

When I search it I find "VALVE ASSY., CLAMP I" is that correct? 

Can you post the link you bought them from, thx! 

I install angled stems as part of any tire change. It is cheaper for me.

Most people return next time they need tires. Then the new tire change I just put new cores in, .15.

When you buy the angled stems in bulk, you can get them from China at about .50 each.

Rubber stems aren't that cheap and they can fail.

Be-careful though, I have gotten angled stems which the shrader valve will not seat properly and the tip of the valve is taller than the stem.

• Member Contributer
14 hours ago, Switchblade said:

You could rattle can them but i did order a set for the RC51.

Good point, I've still got a little bit of mat black paint left over from painting the seat cowl

6 hours ago, boOZZIE said:

Good point, I've still got a little bit of mat black paint left over from painting the seat cowl

Or just buy some black ones from a different supplier?

Just saying... :mellow:

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, Katie said:

Or just buy some black ones from a different supplier?

Just saying... :mellow:

The Honda valves only come in silver, so they don't match any of their bikes ...great piece of marketing:unsure:

On ‎5‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 1:58 PM, VifferJ said:

I didn't know Honda made them as an accessory?

When I search it I find "VALVE ASSY., CLAMP I" is that correct? 

Can you post the link you bought them from, thx! 

Sorry VifferJ they beat me to it.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

I just placed a pretty big order for my '99 and tried to include the Honda valve stems, but they are backordered. No word on availability, so I said forget them. I only wanted them because they came from Honda, I've still got Bridgeports on the bike.

Archived