BMW Roadster

• Member Contributer

Last July, my dear son wrapped my beloved 5th gen around a power pole, and landed himself in the hospital for 42 days.  I consider myself very lucky that my wife did not ban motorcycles from the garage for good, but I promised her to downsize (power wise) and my next bike would have ABS.  She said "OK, but no more VFR";  that's fine with me...never was attracted much to the 6th gen anyway, and the 8th gens are too expensive for my budget.   I've had pretty good luck so far buying older garage queens, restoring them to roadworthy condition, and riding the piss out of them. I was looking for a Suzuki or Kawi 650 twin, but ABS models in my price range are rare. I saw a BMW R1150R on Craigslist, but it sold before I could see it. I became enamored with the BMW roadsters, and before long, that's all I was looking for. My search lasted from November to February, but I finally came across a pristine 2002 R1150R, 20,000 miles, rides like new.  Hard cases included and a list of accessories and options as long as my arm... sweet.

New fluid changes before any serious riding happens, along with new tires.  So I took the old girl out for a shakedown ride yesterday. 241 miles down to Monterey and back via Half Moon Bay on the Pacific Coast Hwy....had to heat up the oil before draining it, right? 

I was impressed by the torque output of the 1150 boxer. That R1150R charges out of the curves like nobody's business. Fun. No burst of power from midrange to redline like the VFR, but not really missed much; after my son's near fatal accident, I doubt I'll be exploring the limits of my riding ability ever again. I always had fun riding my VFR fast enough to make the suspension squat in hard cornering. Don't know if the telelever/paralever set up will behave in similar fashion; too tentative to find out right now, given the condition of the 8 year old Bridgestone BT023 tires. I'm sure the ride will get interesting once new rubber is mounted. 

Range. I topped off the tank at the start of the trip, and went 181 miles before the fuel light came on. By my calculation, I'm getting right around 40 MPG, regardless of how heavy handed I ride. Don't recall ever getting less than 45 MPG on my 5th gen, and 250 mile range was easily possible. Don't think the BMW will do anything near that, but 200 miles on a tank seems attainable.

I hope that the R1150R lives up to BMW's reputation for durability, but mentally preparing myself for a higher maintenance requirement.  Don't plan on tossing my VFRD affiliation, #1 because I like you guys, and #2 I think the pile of 5th gen parts in my garage still qualifies as VFR ownership.   Wish me luck.    Jeff  J.

P2240311.JPG

P2210303.JPG

P2210307.JPG

• Member Contributer

Awesome looking specimen there.  The 1150 vibrated more than the 1200's that followed it but who cares because boxers just vibrate.  The boxer will probably last longer than you do if taken care.  Some of them burn oil forever, some finally break in.  Oil is cheap.  The boxer is a torque monster that's fun to play with in the twisties or anywhere for that matter.  You do need to check the valves every 6K miles as they will need adjustment if it's like the 1200's.  I liked the suspension on my 1200.  Regardless of what anybody thinks, BMW does make a great bike after going through two of them.  They can take a beating and last forever if you keep things adjusted and do the usual things intelligent people do....like read the manual.  Have fun with it.  Wish I had it.  Somebody has taken care of it if appearance is an indicator.    

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up my 4th BMW Oilhead boxer last SEP.. low mileage, (under 18k), and low cost (under $2.8k). 

v24WxOq.jpg

They are easy to work on and relatively reliable for their age.

If you have servo-assit ABS, that system drains the battery at standstill while the engine is at idle. 

Extra drain on battery with Servo-assist usually cause battery to perform poorly in colder climate, especially if you like to use the heated grips like I do.  

I'm waiting for my Servo pumps to fail and remove all the ABS from the bike. 

BTW, get some engine guards on those cylinder covers.. Magnesium cylinder covers are more difficult to replace these days.. new ones from BMW cost upwards of $200 each. 

[url=https://www.ebay.com/itm/183104658325]Cheap $30 engine guard from China works wonders when you have a spill.. even at low speed. 

• Member Contributer

cat0020,

Is that a R1100S?  R1150RS?  Nice looking machine.  Thanks for the eBay tip.  I went to the Wunderlich website and immediately determined that (at something like $375 a pair)  those valve cover guards were not that necessary for me.  What a racket!  

Do you have any experience reconditioning the valve covers?  Mine are not too bad, but there are a few pits and scrapes that I would like to dress up.  I read where one guy bored a hole in one of his valve covers when he got too happy with his bead blaster !!  I'm thinking wire brush, sandpaper, and paint.  Jeff J.

• Member Contributer

Jeff!

Great ride, looks like you found a gem. Really happy to see you pop back up on VFRD. Hope to ride with you again when you're on this side of the planet, no matter what the makes and models.

Spent a couple of weeks on this RT three years ago, my only real boxer experience, really enjoyed it, definitely handled much lighter than it looked:

IMG_1092.JPG

22 hours ago, jeffyjeff said:

cat0020,

Is that a R1100S?  R1150RS?  Nice looking machine.  Thanks for the eBay tip.  I went to the Wunderlich website and immediately determined that (at something like $375 a pair)  those valve cover guards were not that necessary for me.  What a racket!  

Do you have any experience reconditioning the valve covers?  Mine are not too bad, but there are a few pits and scrapes that I would like to dress up.  I read where one guy bored a hole in one of his valve covers when he got too happy with his bead blaster !!  I'm thinking wire brush, sandpaper, and paint.  Jeff J.

My current Boxer is a 02 R1100S:

CsAgC6v.jpg 

With the age of the machine, I'm looking to replace the brake lines, when it comes time, also remove the Servo-assist ABS pump. 

My last Boxer Oilhead was also R1100S but a 99: 

6Hk8s0w.jpg

My first Boxer was a 02 R1150RS and few others in between, transmission spline went kaput within 30k miles, clutch & transmission replaced under warranty and I sold the bike right away: 

RrUbmZt.jpg

I've never need to replace or refinish the valve covers, but they are the first point of contact when a Boxer takes a spill, them being magnesium alloy don't really make them the most durable when impact occurs. 

I think all the Boxers that I've owned are single-spark models. Engine vibes are more pronounced than others, but they are BMWs; I don't really expect them to be butter smooth other than the 3-cylinder K-bikes. 

• Member Contributer
On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 7:02 PM, St. Stephen said:

Jeff!

Great ride, looks like you found a gem. Really happy to see you pop back up on VFRD. Hope to ride with you again when you're on this side of the planet, no matter what the makes and models.

Thanks, man.  Once I figured out what I wanted, it took almost 4 months of fairly rigorous searching before I found one that suited me.  Hope it works out.

I see from your signature line that your 7th gen is absent.  Did you sell it?  I remember the RC51 from our last ride up the coast.  I'll probably post up another ride in April or May.  I've noticed quite a lack of activity from the northern California misfits on VFRD  USA West;  always enjoyed it when we hook up.  Now that my son is better and another bike in the garage, there should be more opportunities for local rides than last year.   Jeff  J.

• Member Contributer

I want another boxer.  I need to get rid of some other gasoline engine powered equipment first.  Anyone ever add up the number of gasoline powered equipment you own?  Some of them get to be a PIA.  BMW came up with a winner with their boxers design.  Torque galore.  

• Member Contributer
On 3/17/2018 at 10:06 AM, Bent said:

I want another boxer.  I need to get rid of some other gasoline engine powered equipment first.  Anyone ever add up the number of gasoline powered equipment you own?  Some of them get to be a PIA.  BMW came up with a winner with their boxers design.  Torque galore.  

There was a guy on a call-in radio program that talked about a Cylinder Index. You can include model airplane gas engine, remote control toys, chainsaws, mowers, weed wackers, etc.

If I include two VFRs under construction, I've got 20.

• Member Contributer
On 3/19/2018 at 5:07 PM, MaxSwell said:

There was a guy on a call-in radio program that talked about a Cylinder Index. You can include model airplane gas engine, remote control toys, chainsaws, mowers, weed wackers, etc.

If I include two VFRs under construction, I've got 20.

Maxwell, according to Mr. Gore, you have to be a liability to society considering your "carbon footprint".  There's no telling how many people, plants and animals you're killing with these 20 earth killing machines.  You're not green.  Perhaps you should invite Mr. Gore to fly over to your pad and discuss your transgressions, pray for forgiveness from him, and maybe you would become more compliant.  No, wait, he would come in a private jet spewing more noxious gas than you will in you lifetime.  Such an conundrum!!!!  Regardless, you'e still a helluva a nice guy!

• Member Contributer

Twelve of those 20 cylinders are VFR cylinders. Eight of them have not seen a spark in years. A four cylinder 1999 Civic, a lawn mower and a chain saw (seldom needed). I've since got rid of a snow blower and a defunct lawn mower. The Civic gets about 2000 mi/yr of use.

So I feel I do my part to limit my carbon foot print. I've put state of the art furnace and water heater, insulated my attic and side walls, in the process of having new stucco siding done. And I'm a gas-milage freak. So Gore may give me an evil eye, but I feel I'm quite a bit below the average American's carbon footprint. 

I do try.

P.S. I cannot wait to burn some carbon with you this summer.

• Member Contributer

Is it 20 cylinders or 20 vehicles/devices with cylinders?  That be unclear.  Either way, MaxSwell, you can say you are doing your part to limit your footprint (and everyone else's) by stockpiling fossil fuel powered equipment and not using any of it.  Kinda like when the cops conduct a gun buy-back program.

• Member Contributer
On 3/25/2018 at 12:48 PM, MaxSwell said:

Twelve of those 20 cylinders are VFR cylinders. Eight of them have not seen a spark in years. A four cylinder 1999 Civic, a lawn mower and a chain saw (seldom needed). I've since got rid of a snow blower and a defunct lawn mower. The Civic gets about 2000 mi/yr of use.

So I feel I do my part to limit my carbon foot print. I've put state of the art furnace and water heater, insulated my attic and side walls, in the process of having new stucco siding done. And I'm a gas-milage freak. So Gore may give me an evil eye, but I feel I'm quite a bit below the average American's carbon footprint. 

I do try.

P.S. I cannot wait to burn some carbon with you this summer.

Maxwell, I hate to be the one to break it too you but you're going to have to eliminate yourself to get rid of your carbon footprint.  Sir Gore just hasn't gotten around to the extermination part of his ploy.....

• Member Contributer

Another pair of jugs like these would do nicely....

IMG-20180321-WA0046_1.thumb.jpg.735c71bf9cbd680123e0c152404e0e6c.jpg

• Member Contributer
On 3/25/2018 at 1:16 PM, jeffyjeff said:

Is it 20 cylinders or 20 vehicles/devices with cylinders?  That be unclear.  Either way, MaxSwell, you can say you are doing your part to limit your footprint (and everyone else's) by stockpiling fossil fuel powered equipment and not using any of it.  Kinda like when the cops conduct a gun buy-back program.

The count was Cylinders. Gas powered Radio Controlled toys count. I've not heard of multi-cylinder RC engines but it sounds like a great idea. I'd love to have a 4 cylinder RC motorcycle, say 1/12th or 1/26 scale machine.

On that radio call-in program a high number of cylinders was to be associated with increased manhood and virility.

And I appreciate JeffyJeff's point of view. It gives me additional backing for continued procrastination.

Archived