Who has not had a RR fail on them on their 6th Gen VFR?

VFR80025th

I Have 2007 RWB  with about 14,000 miles.

I bought her last year.

I have checked my battery Voltage and checked V when starting at idle and reving 5000 rpm.

It all checks out to spec. Bike starts instantly all the time.

Now I know the 6th gens are improved but is the RR going to go no matter what.

Is there anyone out there that the VFR RR has not failed.

2002-2009s , Anyone? Just wondering out loud.

Thxs

• Member Contributer

I'm at 83k on my '04's original RR, still seems to be performing just fine, knock on wood...

• Member Contributer

My 2004, 2007 and 2009 never had an R/R fail. But I did have a stator fail on the 2004. Also a close friend had only the stator fail on his 2009. So why change your R/R?

Think you should be asking who has not had a Stator fail would be more to the point?

From memory R/R failures were problematic on pre 2000 VFR's, after that the R/R was upgraded.

Cheers.

• Member Contributer

My 2008 Silver (the fastest color) w/ 34,000 miles has had no issues whatsoever... knocking on wood now..  But it is 100% stock electrically... no messing with it..

• Member Contributer
45 minutes ago, Auspanglish said:

So the 6th gen is more known for stator barbeques.

It's the 5th gen that tends to fry R/Rs

And stators. My only failure, a 2001, went somewhere between 70,000 and 80,000. I don't know which went first. But stator was burnt bad. VFRness on all four fifths subsequently.

I know of two low-mileage to mid-mileage 6th gens with no problems yet: MotorMike and Pair-Of-Aces. 

• Member Contributer

I fixed marriedman's  2007 - 6th gen stator that borked itself at about 14K... Seems like there's a run of bad stators for 6th gens... 

I fixed marriedman's  2007 - 6th gen stator that borked itself at about 14K... Seems like there's a run of bad stators for 6th gens... 

And it is working great, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

My '09 VTec (n.o.s. June '11) is still on it's oe rec/reg after ~6 years and 69,000 km.

However, the stator failed at 4 years and 50,000 km. This in the middle of a trip, 2,000 km from home. 

• Member Contributer
On 3/5/2018 at 3:38 PM, Lorne said:

My '09 VTec (n.o.s. June '11) is still on it's oe rec/reg after ~6 years and 69,000 km.

However, the stator failed at 4 years and 50,000 km. This in the middle of a trip, 2,000 km from home. 

I was likewise far from home. I was out over $1,000 for the incedent. But it could have been worse; in the middle of nowhere. This was in Duluth MN. I was headed a couple of hundred miles up the North Shore.

Archived