Newbie from north Alabama!

Troncd

Hello everyone. Just joined tonight as I picked up a 1992 VFR750 yesterday. This bike wasn’t on my radar, but after a profitable sale of a KLR650 I flipped the VFR found its way into my sites. As soon as I saw it I knew I’d buy it.

I had an interest in the Honda v4’s since my brother bought his 1997 manga. I wanted a 2nd bike, (I also have a 2008 roadstar Warrior) but it needed to be different than my cruiser. This VFR fit the bill. Seems mostly stock except for the slip in exhaust and the Corbin seat. Considering it’s age of 26 years this thing is in great shape! 25,000 Miles and I’m sure plenty of life left.

I’ve read of the weak points being the charging system. I intend to dig into that but was wondering if there is anything else I need to address? I’ll obviously be servicing everything as well.

Anyways, here’s the bike:cfed1a142c06cd2c79211061f49dafa2.jpg

Lastly, I turned an old $300 rifle into this. Traded the rifle for the KLR, spent another 300 on getting it running, then sold it. I took the money from the KLR and bought this VFR with a little money to spare. Just out of curiosity, what’s an older one of these worth these days? Trying to determine if I got a good deal. Either way, I’m happy.

Look forward to learning more from you guys and gals!

Dylan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Welcome to VFRD from across the pond :beer:

The PO looks like to gave been a Kawasaki fan :-)

kawasaki__gtr_1000_1994_1_lgw.jpg

Worth is tricky, in NL, I reckon $1200 tops as the paint is not oem.

The 8 spoker rear wheel fetches silly money these days.

Welcome to the forum.  That's an interesting '92 you have there.  Am I seeing a full Two Brothers exhaust system, or is it just the silencer can?

I spend a lot of time in Huntsville, AL.  I have two 5th Gen VFRs and I keep one of them in Huntsville (lots of family live there).  If you decide to keep this VFR long-term the next time I'm in Huntsville I'd love to ride out to see it and visit with you and talk VFRs for a while.

Greg

Welcome to VFRD from across the pond :beer:

The PO looks like to gave been a Kawasaki fan :-)
63624460_m.jpg.4f53bb0678c4fa19cd0433063fc20049.jpg

Worth is tricky, in NL, I reckon $1200 tops as the paint is not oem.
The 8 spoker rear wheel fetches silly money these days.

I was curious about the color scheme as I couldn’t find any that look like this lol.

Welcome to the forum.  That's an interesting '92 you have there.  Am I seeing a full Two Brothers exhaust system, or is it just the silencer can?

I spend a lot of time in Huntsville, AL.  I have two 5th Gen VFRs and I keep one of them in Huntsville (lots of family live there).  If you decide to keep this VFR long-term the next time I'm in Huntsville I'd love to ride out to see it and visit with you and talk VFRs for a while.

Greg

I think I’ll have it a good while. I’m in Decatur about 25 mins from Huntsville. Let me know when you’re around!

I believed it to be just a slip on silencer, but I haven’t explored enough to know for sure. I intend to do that today.

I guess my earlier reply got lost in the crash. It’s great to see several new members in the area. I’m in Hartselle. Haven’t been riding much around home because I don’t like straight roads. I also don’t know anyone who rides except my daughter who has no time for me. Teens!

• Member Contributer

3rd Gens are great bikes, congratulations on your purchase.

As noted, looks like a TBR can. Also looks like an aftermarket seat as its not an OEM.

Had a 91 2 years back when I worked in England, and really ended up liking the bike a lot. Carbureted, Gear driven cams, great ergonomics, it was a very neutral, easy ride. Only put 6,000+ miles on it as I registered it in Nov. and sold it in May, but really loved the way it handled. Would own another in a heartbeat.

Really interesting color you have, never have seen that before. Do like it. If you get a chance, post up your bikes color code, should be on the frame somewhere. IIRC should begin with NH.

Happy Trails!

I guess my earlier reply got lost in the crash. It’s great to see several new members in the area. I’m in Hartselle. Haven’t been riding much around home because I don’t like straight roads. I also don’t know anyone who rides except my daughter who has no time for me. Teens!

Yea some of my earlier replies disappeared as well. I believer I remember you saying you ride a red VFR? It would be awesome to ride together sometime. I don’t have a lot of opportunity to go on long rides. I’ve got a few buddies who ride and we often do Saturday morning rides for a couple hours at a time before grabbing a bite then heading them home.

3rd Gens are great bikes, congratulations on your purchase.

As noted, looks like a TBR can. Also looks like an aftermarket seat as its not an OEM.

Had a 91 2 years back when I worked in England, and really ended up liking the bike a lot. Carbureted, Gear driven cams, great ergonomics, it was a very neutral, easy ride. Only put 6,000+ miles on it as I registered it in Nov. and sold it in May, but really loved the way it handled. Would own another in a heartbeat.

Really interesting color you have, never have seen that before. Do like it. If you get a chance, post up your bikes color code, should be on the frame somewhere. IIRC should begin with NH.

Happy Trails!

I believe it is oem paint color with aftermarket graphics. The gray and red are decals. They are in good shape, so I’ll leave them for now.

I’m really enjoying the bike! Only issue that has keeps up so far has been the left fork. It’s developed a slight leak.

I’ve ordered a sealmate to try to clean any dirt from behind the seal. If that doesn’t work, I’ll be rebuilding the forks.

Also in N. AL (Hsv), welcome.

post-15176-0-07143300-1383190174.jpg

ACE

That’s a great looking bike! What year?

Here is my VFR with my first love, my Yamaha Roadstar Warrior. 421c7bf8a942c965c709ee7dec7acd7e.jpg

That warrior is a beast :smile:.

Thx, she's an 07 RWB anniversary edition. Most folks seem to think red is the fastest VFR, but I like this color scheme :biggrin: . She was hacked a bit for a speed event in TX in '13.

Here we are waiting our turn to launch:

vfrLSR.jpg.6a651003bc2e92639c1d7ef909121273.jpg

My first in the VF family. I still have her in my shed, waiting for some loving care:

vf700f01.jpg.e74e4c1ed6479ba3c0fac781989d0374.jpg

My favorite V-twin:

millert02.jpg.c9dbf3b7cb02e725b0b2f309058e6248.jpg

In track trim:

apetrk01.thumb.jpg.1d09fbb2e91f02fb0644bd61ab098463.jpg

Ebay body work so as not to damage too much of the original.  And a perfectly timed photo:

apetrk02.thumb.jpg.740b7413b84606bef2b505aa741e1189.jpg

I still have my Ape, but she's going back to the street. I picked up this R6 (green/wht/blk in pic) end of '16, for track fun:

r6trk01.thumb.jpg.ced682823d32f2f3e44f6e845030ce2f.jpg

And last, but certainly not least, my little xr650r:

xr650r01.thumb.jpg.d237e9596770e983892b5264391d3f1c.jpg

All but the VF700 run, maintenance is a bit of fun :biggrin: .

Enjoy your ride :tour:.

ACE

That warrior is a beast :smile:.
Thx, she's an 07 RWB anniversary edition. Most folks seem to think red is the fastest VFR, but I like this color scheme :biggrin: . She was hacked a bit for a speed event in TX in '13.
Here we are waiting our turn to launch:
vfrLSR.jpg.6a651003bc2e92639c1d7ef909121273.jpg

My first in the VF family. I still have her in my shed, waiting for some loving care:
vf700f01.jpg.e74e4c1ed6479ba3c0fac781989d0374.jpg

My favorite V-twin:
millert02.jpg.c9dbf3b7cb02e725b0b2f309058e6248.jpg

In track trim:
apetrk01.thumb.jpg.1d09fbb2e91f02fb0644bd61ab098463.jpg

Ebay body work so as not to damage too much of the original.  And a perfectly timed photo:
apetrk02.thumb.jpg.740b7413b84606bef2b505aa741e1189.jpg

I still have my Ape, but she's going back to the street. I picked up this R6 (green/wht/blk in pic) end of '16, for track fun:
r6trk01.thumb.jpg.ced682823d32f2f3e44f6e845030ce2f.jpg

And last, but certainly not least, my little xr650r:
xr650r01.thumb.jpg.d237e9596770e983892b5264391d3f1c.jpg

All but the VF700 run, maintenance is a bit of fun :biggrin: .

Enjoy your ride :tour:.

ACE

Wow! Beautiful bikes!

So I finally took the right side rear panel off to check the RR. From what I can tell it’s the oem unit. When I check charge sent to the batter at idle and up to about 6000 rpm I get from 13.8-14.8 volts. My understanding is that is good right?

7ab2cb468bc689600ab452c89fc78ad2.jpg

That said, I know I probably need to go ahead and order a replacement RR. What is the current recomended RR? Keep in mind I always try to be as economical as possible.

Also, I caught a glimpse of what I assume is the oem decals. Kinda early 90’s purple color. Pics if you can see it. Ok

353f9c99180e5a01d774e66e7e0ddcdd.jpg

Archived