different question on windscreen

9C1

Got a 2000 VFR, I'm about 6'1", and the bike has the original windscreen with stock handlebars.  I like the overall clean airflow of the stock screen and lack of buffeting.  However, at highway speeds even though the air coming over the top of the screen is fine (hits middle of my helmet face shield), the problem is the air coming off/around the curved sides of the screen hits right at either side of my chin, forcing air right up into my helmet and over my face.  I've read that some get buffeting from the Givi, so I'm leaning toward either a double bubble or a laminar lip.  I think the non-touring double bubble might be better since it looks like it is wider than stock in the back.  Is that true? And does the double bubble maintain the clean airflow (preventing buffeting)?  And has anyone actually tried the Laminar Lip?  Thanks in advance for the help!

• Member Contributer

Could you try shaping the screen you have on the sides? It may change the turbulent airflow pattern and not go into your helmet. 

Windscreens are very individual and I always tinker with mine until airflow is as good as possible. My weapon of choice is a Dremel cutting disc, a flap wheel to perfect the shape and a small blowtorch to run across the cut at the end (makes it smooth as glass but be careful not to burn it - keep moving fast). 

Also, you'll be surprised what a few cleverly placed fins can do go airflow. 

Finally, a bit of bending with a heat gun to curl the screen up (or down) can also do wonders. Work slowly and use your motorcycle gloves. 

Or or you could just bolt on a new screen...

Stray

• Member Contributer

I got a Zero Gravity Touring screen for my 5th gen and was quite appalled with the quality of it.

It's incredibly thin and the holes didn't match up perfectly. It's definitely not worth the $$ at full price.

+1 to screens being a personal preference.

You'll hear people praise and hate the same screens across all heights and use-cases.

I thought i'd love the MRA touring screen i bought, but i hated it. Went back to the no-name short double-bubble i had before which is much better for me.

• Member Contributer

My favourite bike for airflow has been my VTR1000 with a no-name double bubble, a narrow but clean and buffet-free result. By contrast the stock 5G gave me buffet and less protection as well. I fitted a ZG double bubble screen recently and was happy with the fit and finish, I think it looks good (might have gone for the lighter tint to suit the 5G style better) and most importantly this reduced the buffet and increased the protection markedly. With this screen fitted I can happily cruise at 130-140km/hr (but not legally!) where the stock screen was not really good above 120. 

• Member Contributer

I’m also a positive for the ZG double bubble. 

I got the light tint, wanted clear but it wasn’t on special so light tint it was. 

Im only 5’7” and couldn’t be happier. 

Airflow is much cleaner and because of it my helmet is now quieter. 

Had no problem with fit. 

Archived