Clutch Options

Africord

• Member Contributer

I'm at 55,000 miles (88,000 km), and I'm experiencing some high power slippage.  I know I could try to clean the 16-year-old clutch plates, but if I'm going to pull that apart, I'm only doing this once!  My pricing for a Barnett solution or a Honda solution is close enough that I'm not going to argue, but I'm looking for other arguments that make one or the other a better choice.  I'm planning a 2300 mile trip this summer, and I don't want any issues.  I'm up to date on chain/sprockets and tires, but this issue needs to be resolved before the roads clear here in a few weeks.  

• Member Contributer

If I remember my 5th/6th gen clutch topic lurkings....you may just need to get stronger springs.

I'm sure someone will pipe up soon to confirm or shoot me down.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Okay, clutch parts are in.  I've just reviewed the shop manual, section 9, for clutch replacement.  Why are they suggesting that you remove the basket to complete this process? Also, should I dip the steels and friction disks in 10w40 before install, or can they go in dry?  The manual is silent on that part. I plan to replace all the steels, friction disks, springs and seals in this process. 

• Member Contributer

Well as you have the parts, just pull the clutch springs remove the clutch centre & pull the old clutch pack. Lay them down in the order they come out. Build the new pack in a matching order, there are thicker innner/outer friction plates & just smear oil on both side of the friction plates, no need to soak. Make sure you get the spring plates the right way round, it’s described in the manual.  

Make sure you use new or updated springs. Stock ones are fine, they have a bad habit of settings at a compressed length after 35,000 miles or so !

Job jobbed 👍

Archived