96 VFR750 Carb Problem

Need some help (and did search but could not find exactly a match for this).  I recently acquired a 1996 4th gen with 16,000 miles.  Bike overall is in fantastic shape.  It sat for at least a year before I got it.  Emptied tank, new plugs, changed brake fluid and coolant, and various other small stuff.  After a couple hundred miles I developed a problem where the bike would bog down and then it finally shut off on me....so to the carbs I focused.  I have had them off the bike several times now (4-5 times) and cannot figure out what the issue is.

Basically, the issue I have is fuel is leaking...and also is flooding out of the overflow tube...and is also filling the crankcase.   On a recent carb pull I cleaned the pilot jets, re-assembled and the bike ran perfect...except still had a significant amount of fuel leaking.  I then bought all new pilot jets, floats, float pins, float needles, and gaskets (replaced the float bowl gasket and the ones on the horn side...re-assembled the carbs...put them back on the bike and the issue was worse than ever....gas pourerd out the overflow drain and the bike is nearly impossible to start and shuts off right away if throttle is closed.  

I have blown air through the pin seat and it appears to flow nicely as you can feel the air through the tubes.  I have no idea how to remove the seat itself as it's flush...guessing has to be done from the other side.  The only difference I can visually see is the floats "bob" significantly more with the new needles.  I put the old floats back in to compare...and they bob the same amount...guessing the internal spring is just stronger.  I did this to see if there was a float height adjustment needed...which I have no idea how to adjust the float since the original and Honda replacement part is all-plastic.  

So any ideas where I go?  This freaking bike is about to put me over the edges trying to get it running right.

Joby

• Member Contributer

Typically the overflow issue is caused by either a stuck float or float level not set properly. This procedure and set level should be in the shop manual. If you’re really stuck or want to have someone else check them out for you, look up member ‘Squierrelman”, he’s been known to help many with their carb issues.

Thank you I'll check with him.  The manual says 13.7....but I have no idea how I would even set that if it's out of spec since the float itself is entirely plastic.  No tab to bend.  bizarre.

• Member Contributer

@mcrwt644 might be a bit closer to you if you want someone to work on them.

Agree that it sounds like a float or needle valve issue. Once upon a time I had a service guy install the floats upsidedown/backwards, so they never closed right.

Got it all re-assembled again and voila....seems to have worked properly this time.  Must have been something magical I did re-assembling...no idea. However, now my NEUTRAL light quits working after a few miles riding (and bike thinks it's in gear if I put the kick stand down).  Seems like a simple fix whatever the heck is going on now.  Sheesh...this thing is anything but a simple bike so far!  Hopefully I'm on the home stretch to many miles of fun riding though.  It was sooooo nice driving it tonight.

Archived