Brake caliper 4th gen

IvanP

Hi everyone, 

Does someone know if the front  brake calipers from a 3rd Gen 1992 vfr are completely identical to those of a 4th gen 1996 bike? Clearly the discs are very much different but I have the feeling that the calipers are identical. The brake pads for both bikes are the same but I need to know 100% about those calipers. Will be grateful if someone tells me with certainty if I'm right!

Greetings, 

Ivan

• Member Contributer

The current part numbers for the calipers are the same for '90-'94 (all 3rd gen and the first year of the 4th gen), but Honda appears to have stopped selling the calipers as spares after '94.  (There are no part numbers showing for the calipers for the later 4th gens at all; they're not "discontinued".)

If it were my bike, I'd be convinced enough to say that the calipers are the same for all 3rd and 4th gens--and probably some other bikes, as the current part numbers for the older bikes are not VFR-specific.

Ciao,

• 2 months later...

Thanks for your answer! 

This problem was sorted some time ago by just refreshing my calipers instead of buying other set, the one from the previous gen. 

Now there's again something bothering me about those brakes.. I bought new front brake pads, installed them, they fit as the previous times I've replaced them, but something told me to still check the ebc code, to see if they sold me what I asked for. Guess what, appears that they gave me two sets of rear pads. Before going through the ordeal of changing them or simply  buying proper front ones etc. I very carefully compared rear and front pads. Appears that the rear is just a bit thicker pad. Further no difference.  Since my front discs are a bit worn, that kind of compensates for the thicker pads. 

I very cautiously decided to test them on a deserted street, everything seems perfect! Braking is good, wheel moves freely. 

Someone with more knowledge and experience would approve of my actions, or tell me I'm doing a very stupid thing? 😂 Please do, it might work now but there could be a potential danger, naturally I'd like to know about it! 

Cheers! 

• Member Contributer

I think you answered your own question, if the brake works and the wheel isn't binding, and the pads are secure in the caliper, then you're good to go. 

I agree, Terry! 

Just the fact that I'm actually putting supposedly the wrong pads makes me feel a bit uneasy so I decided to double check with someone who might have gone through the same thing. 

I hope the only reason for manufacturers to make a separate pad for the rear is the friction material thickness. In this case there'd be no problem. 

Archived