What to bring

landlover

• Member Contributer
On 2/13/2018 at 10:03 PM, VFR Capt.Bob said:

This guy has a video about touring mistakes and goes on this long rant about top boxes and some unrelated story about a friend buying a bike just because of a top box. After watching that video I can't take any advice from him.

Thumbs down for him and his "advice"

• Member Contributer

Most people have covered what needs to be brought, though I'll share my recent experiences.

On my last road trip I packed the bike quite a bit, but it was for a 2 week trip.

nPCeR1ll.jpg

That is 2x 21L Side bags which had a mix of clothes and other items.
Top box is a 46L and had a cooler jacket in it (for hot weather) as well as things like chain lube and rain gear. Also a bunch of rags and cleaner for the visor.

A Tank bag strapped to the passenger seat had tools, zip ties, duct tape and a tire repair kit.

Tank bag infront had heated vest, different kinds of light sweaters, spare gloves, as well as passport, money, snacks gum etc etc.

For a 2 week trip I brought 6 pairs of underwear, socks, and t-shirts. I did laundry on my trip twice.

I didn't bother with anything to prevent bike theft. If someone wants to steal it it's gone. I was more concerned about people stealing my stuff.

I also did a road trip in Japan a couple years back.

cuGFOV8l.jpg

The bike I rented had the same luggage I have now and I stuffed it with the same amount of clothes. 6 days worth. because it was a rental I didn't bother with tools.

Both trips were my firsts with a Motorcycle GPS and now I won't do a trip without one. It's sooooo much better then my old way of pen and paper direction in a tank bag.

• Member Contributer

If you are touring in the US, I highly recommend an AMA membership.  Not so you can support lobbying, but you have a very inexpensive solution if you have a breakdown. On multi-day tours, I also carry a grunge brush and chain lube.  Currently, I'm planning a 2300 mile trip in July, and know that my chain should be lubed every 500 miles. Since I'm going around Lake Superior, I'm planning on two-piece mesh gear with a rain liner and a polar fleece vest.  Crossing into Canada means taking my passport and getting the Canadian version of my insurance card for the bike. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2018 at 4:59 PM, bykemike said:

My brothers favorite saying, "you are never out of toilet paper if you've got your socks"

He is a VFR owner as well, 4th Gen like me

My favourite new Saying!  Almost spit taked my beer.  Thank you Mike!  Hope to see you on the road again real soon!

• Member Contributer
On 2/16/2018 at 2:17 PM, slowbird said:

This guy has a video about touring mistakes and goes on this long rant about top boxes and some unrelated story about a friend buying a bike just because of a top box. After watching that video I can't take any advice from him.

Thumbs down for him and his "advice"

He is more of an extremely experienced adventure real world tourer. Not like the weekend wannabes. Think about an innocent tip over and your plastic glorified top box breaks. Now you have all your stuff un secured. He is an out of the box thinker so to speak. As oppossed to a person who speaks first and let's the thinkers try and splain him. Forgive him his accent and personality. It's what I enjoy about him. Now go check out the rest of his videos. LOL

Archived