What to bring

landlover

• Member Contributer

Hi, have never done a multiple day trip but but am itching to try it. What do you experienced Sport Touring motorcyclist bring? Two sets of clothes and maybe one set for unseasonably weather? Gear for repairs, air pump, tire plug set and what else? Have no clue where to start and this forum has always had good information. Two sets of gloves in case one gets lost. What about security would like to camp to keep costs down but a tornado could take my tent down and I would still be asleep, one disc lock and chain or just a cover for out of sight out of mind? How do you go about doing it would like to go with someone or a group but I want to do this and schedules are sometimes hard to get everyone on the same page. Will go solo if need be. Any advice is appreciated.

If you're riding a Honda ? :unsure:

take a smaLL multimeter  (HF) + electrical or duct tape.  Inspect/clean contacts within the plug from stator (3 yellow wires) and R/R. any signs of melting or burning need to be fixed. i always have about 4 or 5 feet of electrical wire in my backpack in case.....

If you're not riding a Honda, these items are almost never needed.   :cool:

• Member Contributer

This guy is pretty enlightening about motorcycle travel. He travels the world on his XT660. He does a whole series on the subject. And his pronunciation is entertaining as well.

• Member Contributer

Bring the desire to ride.

You live in the USA, not some shit-hole (tm) :goofy: country. So any Autozone, amenity, hotel/B&B can be reached within a couple of hours in most cases.

The video is good, including the cable lock. A determined thief will steal your stuff. And being in a country with rampant gun ownership, they' have the means to do so.

Don't worry about it, I never do or did worry during my 2 week trip through the US.  Ohio was flat and boring afair....

At TMAC, you only worry about the packs of HD's slowing you down on the Dragon

When you stop to ask someone something, take of your helmet. chances are they will strike up a conversation as well. all part of the journey

The most important thing is to have plenty time and loose the desire to "be there at such and such an EXACT time....

Some carry a SPOT device so their body may be found in the middle of nowhere........   Why bother, you'd be dead anyway and it will only look good at the inquest..   

(ok, coming down on a steep narrow road at dusk in a rainstom in Alabama, it did cross my mind they'd never find my body if I'd go over the edge.... :goofy:)

I took 5 pairs of gloves on my (planned) 5k mile trip around the Baltic Sea due to the inclement weather. This guaranteed a dry pair of gloves.  

Get some good fitting (ie not flapping in the wind like a stars&stripes) raingear; if it gets torrential, just shelter under a bridge or so.  Did I mention time?  If you will not reach your destination for the day, just head for the bar and order a G&T....

Tornado? check the weather forecast in the morning at just look at where you are heading.  If the tornado is severe enough, it will take out your hotel as well.... 

If it is your time to "check out", so be it...  Make sure you lived your life to the full

And oh!!!!

Pictures! we want to hear and see all about your trip!!! :beer:

• Member Contributer

Great advice Dutchy, minimalist is the way to travel, if you plan for everything something that is everything +1 will happen.

Basic tools, some cash, a couple of credit cards, a light and cheery attitude, a feeling that most people you meet will be good (all I have met were)

the ability to spend the night in a less than desirable motel or by the side of a building if you planned wrong....that should do it.  Oh yeah, you just gotta get on the bike and go

really, everything will be great.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, bykemike said:

Great advice Dutchy, minimalist is the way to travel, if you plan for everything something that is everything +1 will happen.

Basic tools, some cash, a couple of credit cards, a light and cheery attitude, a feeling that most people you meet will be good (all I have met were) get on the bike and go

really, everything will be great.

This.... Tools ? i ride a Honda... 1, 2, 3 nights is a tank bag and tail pack...   Cash, CC's, Camera, old socks and underwear so you can toss them out at the end of the day... spare gloves, rain gear, a couple Tshirts, a pair of shorts, a pair of tevas, toiletries, and Bob's your uncle.....

• Member Contributer

And condoms, do not forget condoms.....   :goofy:

should you have to spend the night out in the open, exposed, and it is cold,

pee in a condom, tie a knot 

so you can at least recuperate the energy and use it as a hot water bottle.... 

Ah, what a biker has to endure to survive on the road....

9.thumb.jpg.3a40560ca4978b0d32d7840ac460bf2f.jpg

• Member Contributer

Not that many years ago I did the rim of the United States on a KLR 650, 1989 vintage that I picked up cheaper than I would care to admit.

I  geared it up and put on street tires and had what may have been the most memorable motorcycle trip ever, primarily because  I was riding a bike that I could leave by the side of the road without regret if it died. Of course, being a KLR it never did.

I found people treated me very well "you are all the way out here on that little bike?"

A little slow for  pulling out into 80 MPH CA traffic, but it got there eventually.

When I travel, I carry several days worth of moisture wicking long johns, a pair of shorts or jeans, and tennis shoes. The underwear can be rinsed and dried easily and the shorts and jeans are only worn in the evening when I'm off the bike. Easy to do a week on the road with no laundry. I wear mesh gear in the heat of summer. The rest of the year, I have perforated leather.  I haven't even used the mini top box that came with my bike.

A camera and Chapstick.  Layered clothes.  Cash.  Bottle opener.  I keep a damp rag in a ziplock to clean my visor.  I tend to over pack, and then realize you can get everything on the road, so I have been minimizing.  Every small town has a Honda dealer, so I don't carry spares, but make sure the bike is serviced before I leave.  For example I wouldn't bring extra gloves.  If you loose your's you can always find some at a local dealer, or at worse a hardware store.

• Member Contributer

In probably 100,000 miles of mostly camping touring I've never had anything stolen or damaged. I usually have three lockable hard bags. Security has never been an issue. I've been on the road for as much as seven weeks at a time.

First precaution: a spare key for the bike and hard bags go in my jeans pocket under my leathers and never leaves that pocket. 

My fifth gens have never let me down on the road. I have done all the electrics except the stator wiring soddering on almost all five of my machines. 

Backpacking informed my gear choices. Weight is an issue. My tent (Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1) (online & REI) weighs less than 3 pounds. A Jet Boil (REI) stove is a must. My sleeping pad (REI) is rolls into a meat chub-sized package (small and cheap is beautiful). I have a 40*F sleeping bag (Kelty Light Year XP 40) (online) that comes with a compression bag for minimum space. Coffee grounds and a Snow Peak titanium french press (REI). Because I've run out of gas several times I SHOULD carry a small container of gasoline in a backpacking stove fuel can.

I carry a supply of Cliff bars for the times I do not get food to bring to the campsite. (Two bars = ~500 calories - good enough for killing hunger pangs where- and when-ever). I usually have a meal sometime during the day and hit grocery/deli for food to bring to the campsite. Most C stores and gas stations seem to carry bananas and a couple make my breakfast. 

I always carry a neckercheif and a thin balaclava for hot and cool weather. Soaking the neckercheif in water can be quite cooling. I found myself camping in Yellowstone in 25*F temps and slept in the balaclave as well as all my clothes.

A big plus one on a water container. MSR makes a collapsible-pouch Dromedary (REI) that holds ~ 10 (340 liquid oz) liters. I fill it every morning along with a 1.5 liter naglene bottle(REI). The Drom goes on my pillion place and the bottle in my tank bag. The Drom is mostly for campsite duty.

I never use ice and never make a fire (a hachet is just to much weight).  If I stay mulitple days in a single area the only things I leave in the campsite when I leave to ride are tent, sleeping bag and sleeping pad.

I carry: extra clutch & brake lever and a left foot peg assm.   An Aerostich compact air compressor and a tire repair kit.  Of course the mulit-meter. And of course duct tape (they don't call me Duct Tape Terry for nothin'). The extra wire is a great idea. Toilet paper and a digging tool.

I also carry several cans of chain lube (every 500 miles). It's much cheaper when I buy it from my local Honda shop. Two cans have lasted ~6000 miles.

Free camping, mostly out west,  is to be found on any BLM land. A local gave me the key: any driveway, without a mailbox, leading away from a road or highway is a candidate. There are NO amenities though. Bureau Of Land Management land is federal public multi-use land. Seemingly any thing goes. One man told me he brings his trailer and sets up for the whole summer. Free.

If one is an old phart like me our US National Parks issue a one-time $10 Senior Pass for lifetime use. I do love our Nat'l Parks. 

An AMA membership provides emergency road insurance for gas, towing, etc. I never leave home w/o my card. (Speaking of cards I carry two different credit cards, one for backup.) 

A trip to circumnavigate Wistler Mastif in British Columbia a few years ago my former camp stove stopped working so I asked my neighbors if they'd make me some hot water for my french press every morning. That led to meeting a lot of great folks. So if you are missing something considering your neighbors can solve some problems. Frequently they want to hear about my adventures and share theirs. Solo riding does make for more of that.

• Member Contributer

Mr. MaxSwell thank you!!!! If I ever figure out how to give someone a reputation point you will be the first one to receive it!!!!!

• Member Contributer
8 minutes ago, landlover said:

Mr. MaxSwell thank you!!!! If I ever figure out how to give someone a reputation point you will be the first one to receive it!!!!!

Thank you, I appreciate that. I'm glad to be helpful; feel free to P.M. my with any questions.

Perhaps we will meet up and ride together some day. I hope so.

• Member Contributer
28 minutes ago, MaxSwell said:

Thank you, I appreciate that. I'm glad to be helpful; feel free to P.M. my with any questions.

Perhaps we will meet up and ride together some day. I hope so.

:smile: Sounds like fun. Have a great day tomorrow!

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, Sweeper said:

When I travel, I carry several days worth of moisture wicking long johns, a pair of shorts or jeans, and tennis shoes. The underwear can be rinsed and dried easily and the shorts and jeans are only worn in the evening when I'm off the bike. Easy to do a week on the road with no laundry. I wear mesh gear in the heat of summer. The rest of the year, I have perforated leather.  I haven't even used the mini top box that came with my bike.

I just finished an 8 day tour on my ST1100 in an Alpinestars Andes Drystar textile two-piece, through a great patch of summer weather. Man did I wish I had mesh gear, the suit I have is good from about 20C down, but I cooked at 30C. I can however vouch for the water-proof rating of this gear, it was superb.eUAQqKmKNk2SI_9Si9IMntjLHWHX404SOFi0ZD8w

Camping gear need not be heavy or bulky; however, it can be expensive, but with time and diligence one can equip out for a reasonable cost.  Here is a list of items I have been putting together for several months keeping an eye out for deals:

Hillenberg Enan Tent (leftover 2015 model), 34 oz, $185 great deal online Mountain Steals

Hillenberg Enan Footprint, 9 oz, msrp $58 +$5 shipping Hillenberg

Aegismax 800 sleeping bag, 18.6 oz, $75 Amazon

Klymet Static V air matters, 18.6 oz, $52 Amazon

Goal Zero lighthouse mini, 11 0z, $15 Gander Mountain out of business sale

Jetboil, 9 oz, $50 REI many years ago

total weight ~ 100 oz to 6 1/4 lbs

idea of size below:

IMG_2710.thumb.JPG.3d216dd63c803e03ab4da77dfe5b05f6.JPG

• Member Contributer

Loads of good advice here. 

I'll just list what I consider my have to have with me gear, or those things already posted that should be reiterated. Some of this is applicable to riding in the Boonies, so if your not, bin it.

1. Power port. All my bikes have one, some with USB ports also. Handy for charging a phone, running a GPS or the occasional compressor. Easy and cheap to install.

2. GPS. There are large swaths of Maine, Quebec, Utah, Colorado etc. with no, or really poor cell reception. Your cell phone can be your all in one device mostly, but not necessarily when you are 50 miles from the nearest town.

3. Paper maps. My GPS's have a less than stellar record in the mountains of Idaho, Colorado, California, Maine Vermont, Switzerland, Italy, etc. Pick up a map at a visitor center or bring an atlas.

4. Tank Bag. I have many, I bought one years ago when in Germany and found them to be quite useful. Don't have to get off the bike for small stuff, and depending on the size can carry lots of gear that would take up space else where.

5. Spare visor. In 1978 I blew my visor on my Bell Star in British Columbia. No hope of finding a replacement, not that I could afford one anyway, so I spent the next 8,000 miles with duct tape holding it all together. Happened again in 2008 when I was in Missouri when I entered a highway just behind a 18 wheeler with a Lowboy who promptly deposited about 2 wheelbarrows worth of gravel and rocks taking out my visor and headlight. And in 2011 in Utah I lost another visor and hinge. Visors are brand specific and often model specific. Carry a spare as you will have a hard time finding yours on the road.

6. Spare key. Have one in your jacket. Nuff said.

7. Neck gaiter. Makes all the difference between a waterproof helmet and jacket. Never leave my driveway with out one.

8. Tire pressure gauge. The biggest revelation I've had in motorcycling is how good tires are now. My second is how much psi affects these really great tires. check your pressure often.

9. Cash. In 2012 my credit card was hacked at a gas station in Kansas, something I did not realize until I was in Missouri and my card was declined when I checked in to my hotel. Thankfully, I had enough with me to pay for the hotel and breakfast and gas the next day until my CC company figured things out. 

Hope this is of some help to you.

• Member Contributer
15 hours ago, FromMaine said:

Loads of good advice here. 

I'll just list what I consider my have to have with me gear, or those things already posted that should be reiterated. Some of this is applicable to riding in the Boonies, so if your not, bin it.

1. Power port. All my bikes have one, some with USB ports also. Handy for charging a phone, running a GPS or the occasional compressor. Easy and cheap to install.

2. GPS. There are large swaths of Maine, Quebec, Utah, Colorado etc. with no, or really poor cell reception. Your cell phone can be your all in one device mostly, but not necessarily when you are 50 miles from the nearest town.

3. Paper maps. My GPS's have a less than stellar record in the mountains of Idaho, Colorado, California, Maine Vermont, Switzerland, Italy, etc. Pick up a map at a visitor center or bring an atlas.

4. Tank Bag. I have many, I bought one years ago when in Germany and found them to be quite useful. Don't have to get off the bike for small stuff, and depending on the size can carry lots of gear that would take up space else where.

5. Spare visor. In 1978 I blew my visor on my Bell Star in British Columbia. No hope of finding a replacement, not that I could afford one anyway, so I spent the next 8,000 miles with duct tape holding it all together. Happened again in 2008 when I was in Missouri when I entered a highway just behind a 18 wheeler with a Lowboy who promptly deposited about 2 wheelbarrows worth of gravel and rocks taking out my visor and headlight. And in 2011 in Utah I lost another visor and hinge. Visors are brand specific and often model specific. Carry a spare as you will have a hard time finding yours on the road.

6. Spare key. Have one in your jacket. Nuff said.

7. Neck gaiter. Makes all the difference between a waterproof helmet and jacket. Never leave my driveway with out one.

8. Tire pressure gauge. The biggest revelation I've had in motorcycling is how good tires are now. My second is how much psi affects these really great tires. check your pressure often.

9. Cash. In 2012 my credit card was hacked at a gas station in Kansas, something I did not realize until I was in Missouri and my card was declined when I checked in to my hotel. Thankfully, I had enough with me to pay for the hotel and breakfast and gas the next day until my CC company figured things out. 

Hope this is of some help to you.

There some important items on your list that left off mine (tank bag, tire guage, cash, paper maps (the only thing I use) but your extra face shield is a great idea that I'm adding to my list.

Thank you From Maine.

p.s. You do get around!

• Member Contributer

Everything I need for a trip is carried in a modified Chase Harper tank bag...
gallery_3131_51_64453.jpg

The Chase Harper rest on my home made aluminum tank bag bracket...

gallery_3131_51_15864.jpg

Tank bag rest upon the bracket and does not in any way touch the
expensive $2,500 aluminum tank...
gallery_3131_51_6823.jpg

Mr.RC45's tank bag contents:

1 Home made aluminum chain adjuster spanner
2 & 3 BMW tire repair kit
4 tape measure
5 fuses
6 pen
7 flashlite
8 razor
9 digital infrared thermometer for tracking tire temps
10 digital air pressure gauge
11 Rolaids (CHP gives me heartburn)
12 Brown Bomber (Advil)
13 home made tool to access tail cowl storage space
14 5mm allen... spare mirror screw... cross point tool...
15 525 master link...

16 Home made collapsible lift to levitate the rear tire in order to
lube my stinky chain every tank full of gas... (my belt drive
conversion will eliminate this silly stuff...)

Total weight 2 pounds 5 oz
1453472317_42ef8d9849_o.jpg

TankBag (1).JPG

Archived