Even a blind man who can't spell properly!  :goofy::cheerleader::beer:

• Member Contributer
13 hours ago, Dutchy said:

#FAKENEWS

Every Tom, Dick & Harry *knows*....

RED NACA's are the BEST.....  :goofy:

Even a blind man can seet that....

HPIM1166.thumb.JPG.47ed2eee47ebe67d64ecbe3acfa8d4de.JPG

Hey buddy, you do recognize the NACA ducts on a fifth gen!? They are just a little more subtle. You are excused. At least for now.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Vee-Ef-Ar said:

Haha... thought you'd gone all wacky and bought another

I don't blame you. It would be entirely appropriate. :fing02:

But I can't deny I'm somewhat wacky.

• Member Contributer
On 2/13/2018 at 6:05 PM, MaxSwell said:

You do realize this article was written nine years before the 2007 25th anniversary bike was released (so you can't blame the author for not knowing any better)?  Just saying...  :biggrin:

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, MaxSwell said:

Hey buddy, you do recognize the NACA ducts on a fifth gen!? They are just a little more subtle. You are excused. At least for now.

As every Paula, Sheila and Debby knows,

Size

Does

Matter

:goofy:

• Member Contributer
18 hours ago, VFR4Lee said:

Nice article.

From  1997! :goofy:

Valid point. But, I think us old pharts are a little more nostalgic than your average young pup. I would never post something like this because I'm biased. :pinocchio:

• Member Contributer

Having owned a 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th and 6th gen.(I currently own the 5th gen) I still have to say the 4th gen is the best one in my opinion.

The article touches on the FI slightly and how it isn't the smoothest. However, it doesn't touch enough on the fact that the 4th gen has better bottom end compared to the 5th/6th gens.

The carbs on the 4th gen were so nice. Such incredibly smooth fueling :goofy:

The article mentions the 5th gen wheels are lighter but I've always read on here the 4th gens were lighter, especially considering the rear is slightly less wide.

I'm surprised it mentions some prefer the Instrument cluster on the 4th gen over the 5th. I thought I was the only one. :cool:

I have to say the riding position on the 5th gen is much nicer than the 4th, (in stock form) and I like the look of the 5th gens headlights more....but I miss the NACA ducts.

4th gen seemed to stay cool better in traffic and just in general. Also the lack of linked brakes was a plus (atleast imo) 

The 4th gen you could have the solo cowl on with a luggage rack too.

It also seems like the 5th/6th gens rotors are prone to being bent out of shape/warped. Both I owned had the problem and a quick search shows it isn't uncommon. never been an issue with earlier gens.
Same with clutch slipping. Seems to be more prone with the 5th/6th gens.

Another plus with the 4th gen is no Wax unit to worry about.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, slowbird said:

Having owned a 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th and 6th gen.(I currently own the 5th gen) I still have to say the 4th gen is the best one in my opinion.

The article touches on the FI slightly and how it isn't the smoothest. However, it doesn't touch enough on the fact that the 4th gen has better bottom end compared to the 5th/6th gens.

The carbs on the 4th gen were so nice. Such incredibly smooth fueling :goofy:

The article mentions the 5th gen wheels are lighter but I've always read on here the 4th gens were lighter, especially considering the rear is slightly less wide.

I'm surprised it mentions some prefer the Instrument cluster on the 4th gen over the 5th. I thought I was the only one. :cool:

I have to say the riding position on the 5th gen is much nicer than the 4th, (in stock form) and I like the look of the 5th gens headlights more....but I miss the NACA ducts.

4th gen seemed to stay cool better in traffic and just in general. Also the lack of linked brakes was a plus (atleast imo) 

The 4th gen you could have the solo cowl on with a luggage rack too.

It also seems like the 5th/6th gens rotors are prone to being bent out of shape/warped. Both I owned had the problem and a quick search shows it isn't uncommon. never been an issue with earlier gens.
Same with clutch slipping. Seems to be more prone with the 5th/6th gens.

Another plus with the 4th gen is no Wax unit to worry about.

My touting fifth gens is mostly done jokingly. To tell the truth, I have very little experience with anything else. Another factor is my complete fear/baffelment of carbs.

I'd love to try a fourth gen but perhaps I'm fearful of loving what I don't have and not likely to have. What you don't know....

And I seem to be lucky regarding wax, cooling systems, and a few other comon ailments, having never had trouble with them, even on my 105,000 mile first one.

That low rpm throttle sensitivity scares me too. Seems an inadverntent/accidental twitch of the wrist could have bad repercussions. 

8 minutes ago, MaxSwell said:

........That low rpm throttle sensitivity scares me too. Seems an inadverntent/accidental twitch of the wrist could have bad repercussions. 

This is where the riding modes on some newer stuff comes in. My Duck has sport, touring, and urban.

So you can go to urban if it rains or your panties are otherwise in a bunch.

Neuters a bunch of your ponies and changes the power delivery from wild to mild. Relatively.

Oh, there is also traction control. :happy:

• Member Contributer
2 minutes ago, VFR4Lee said:

This is where the riding modes on some newer stuff comes in. My Duck has sport, touring, and urban.

So you can go to urban if it rains or your panties are otherwise in a bunch.

Neuters a bunch of your ponies and changes the power delivery from wild to mild. Relatively.

Oh, there is also traction control. :happy:

I have to believe all directions traction control would releive a LOT of my angst about going down. That would be a Dream-Come-True.

My current machine came with a Staintune can with a PCii. Man! Was that ever smooth, right from the 2500rpm get go.

But the 'tune was too loud for me. And I needed to recover the extra money I spent beyond the insurance settlement. (From my second hoved forest rat.)

4 minutes ago, MaxSwell said:

I have to believe all directions traction control would releive a LOT of my angst about going down.

I see the TC and ABS as a safety net. Glad it is there, but I am not going to dive in and test it out on purpose.

If I have activated either one in 1600 miles on the bike, I did not feel it or notice.

But, I am not trying to do a Casey Stoner or Troy Bayliss impression.

Not whacking the throttle open when leaned at all. No sudden fistful of brakes. :squid:

• Member Contributer
5 minutes ago, VFR4Lee said:

not whacking the throttle open when leaned at all. No sudden fistful of brakes. :squid:

Words of wisdom; to be embossed and carried in my wallet. :)

• Member Contributer
On 2/13/2018 at 6:03 PM, mello dude said:

Throwing gas on the fire?   :tongue:

This wackjob caught my drift.

Archived