1986 VFR 750 Fork Oil

sporttouring517

I have had an '86 VFR 750 for two years.  I use it for general riding and the occassional longer trip.  I'm not a racer though the occasional track day is fun.  I ride in the slow group.  I weigh about 220 lbs.

The fork seals were leaking so I've taken them off and torn the left side apart.  Nothing looks to worn or damaged so I started putting it back together with all balls seals and progressive springs. 

The Honda manual tells me to use ATF in the forks.  Is that what people are using?

• Member Contributer

How many miles?  Did you inspect the bushings?  Specifically the Teflon coating.   And you always do both forks when you do seals. 

Stock ATF is about 7.5.  Most people move to a 10w.  Anything more with stock damping rods will be too harsh. 

Thanks for the info.  It has about 20,000 miles. 

Yes, I inspected the bushings.  The Honda manual says to replace the bushings if 3/4 of the teflon coating is worn off.  The bushings on the right leg have most of the teflon coating but in some areas (about 25%) it was worn off. 

Since this is the first time I started with the right fork leg because it is simpler.  Once I have it back together I will take the left fork leg apart to inspect, clean, and reassemble.

IMG_20160708_150733974_HDR.jpg

Riders usually discover that none of the aftermarket seals last as long as OEM Honda seals and that allballs is cheap Chinese garbage. :unsure:

At 20K miles your steering head bearings are overdue for servicing. :wink:

• 4 weeks later...

I've always used ATF or 10w. No discernible difference, to me at least. Progressive have their own spacers and oil height measurement. I always add 10mm and forget about the air adjustment. By "add" I mean more oil. Our forks aren't sophisticated enough to care much about details ;-)

Thanks for the picture of your black RC24. I'm currently putting together a black-ish build myself. White wheels, of course.

JOE in IL

V4 Dreams (.com)

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, BluRoad said:

I'm currently putting together a black-ish build myself. White wheels, of course.

:worthlesswithoutpics:

Archived