LED indicator and stop/tail bulbs - what works without any modification?

Snapper

Simple question, but is there a simple answer :blink: !? 

I have a European spec 5th generation VFR800 and I am wondering if there might be reliable and effective replacement LED bulbs available for the indicator lights (382 type bulbs) and the stop/tail lamps (380 type). Does anyone have any experience with trying LED bulbs in these positions and if so, did it work without modification, or fail to work? Links to specific bulbs/sellers would also be useful.

Thanks, in advance, for your input :smile: .

• Member Contributer
22 minutes ago, Snapper said:

Simple question, but is there a simple answer :blink: !? 

I have a European spec 5th generation VFR800 and I am wondering if there might be reliable and effective replacement LED bulbs available for the indicator lights (382 type bulbs) and the stop/tail lamps (380 type). Does anyone have any experience with trying LED bulbs in these positions and if so, did it work without modification, or fail to work? Links to specific bulbs/sellers would also be useful.

Thanks, in advance, for your input :smile: .

Not sure I can answer your question directly, but Thurn Motorsports do a replacement rear lamp cluster with led bulbs. Clearly a lot more expensive than simple bulb replacement but an option nevertheless.

Thanks for the info, but to be honest I am only looking for a cheap upgrade :wink: .

There are loads of LED bulbs out there for a couple of quid, which claim to fit most pre-2000 vehicles, but I'd rather hear from someone who's already tried a few (if possible).

• Member Contributer

https://www.superbrightleds.com/vehicle/1998-honda-vfr800-interceptor-vehicle-led-lights?make=32&model=3468&year=1998

I am using their switchback bulbs in my front indicators and they are decent. I've also used their bulbs in other vehicles with success. Not sure how shipping is to the UK, you might try amazon as well, they have loads of LED retrofit bulbs available. 

• Member Contributer
38 minutes ago, adkfinn said:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/vehicle/1998-honda-vfr800-interceptor-vehicle-led-lights?make=32&model=3468&year=1998

I am using their switchback bulbs in my front indicators and they are decent. I've also used their bulbs in other vehicles with success. Not sure how shipping is to the UK, you might try amazon as well, they have loads of LED retrofit bulbs available. 

Thanks for that link. Been thinking of converting the 1200 turn signal bulbs and the hi-beam to LED. Just need to check out their shipping charges, or as you say, Amazon.  :beer:

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Skids said:

Thanks for that link. Been thinking of converting the 1200 turn signal bulbs and the hi-beam to LED. Just need to check out their shipping charges, or as you say, Amazon.  :beer:

Happy to help! The  indicator bulbs from 'SuperBright' seem to be acceptable quality, I used them for my clocks as well (swapped to blue leds). There is some real garbage on Amazon, you will spend a bit more time sorting the wheat from the chaff, but I have had some success there as well. 

A bit of unsolicited advice on LED headlight bulbs: Choose an emitter/array, then bulb shop. Find an emitter that has the output and characteristics you are looking for (from the LED manufacturer data sheet if possible) and then look for a bulb that employs this LED. I am a big fan of the CREE XHP50 LED. I have some nice flashlights and headlight bulbs in this flavor and they are seriously bright. Most/all vendors product pages for bulbs are so woefully inaccurate it is near useless. The other major concern is the housing you are going to put the bulb in. If the factory housing is for a halogen bulb you need to make sure the cut-off/glare/focal point concerns are all addressed. Good luck! 

• Member Contributer

I have had a similar experience with LEDs from eBay, some are a bit rubbish. Ideally you should be getting red LEDs for the brake/tail and amber for indicators. As LED indicators have a lower resistance than incandescent bulbs, the flash rate will be too high unless you fit inline resistors or get an LED specific flasher (which is what i did). No shortage of plug and play flashers out there, the two-wire units work fine even though the the stock one is three wires (just loses the earth). 

I am not a fan of superbrightleds, I dont think their leds hold up to vehicle use over time. I have not had good luck with them. However, I would suggest jdmastar LED's I have them on my car and both of my bikes and no replacements so far in over a year.

Also Phillips makes a pretty reliable red 7443 led.

It's tough to get LED stop lamps that are bright enough, the stockers are close to a headlamp bulb in wattage, I think my old Mustang GT had 35w headlamps and that's the same as the high filament on the stop lamps.  However that's what I'd like to get as I think the warmup time of LED vs. tungsten is helpful when seconds count.  And they do when I decide to drop anchor.

• Member Contributer
On 2/6/2018 at 3:42 PM, fonque said:

I am not a fan of superbrightleds, I dont think their leds hold up to vehicle use over time. I have not had good luck with them. However, I would suggest jdmastar LED's I have them on my car and both of my bikes and no replacements so far in over a year.

Also Phillips makes a pretty reliable red 7443 led.

Good to get more info on superbrightleds. I haven't had any trouble but will update if I do. jdmastar is one of the amazon vendors that I have had good luck with as well, so a +1 on these guys. 

21 hours ago, hellindustries said:

Far as i know you're either spending real money on a proper solution, or wiring-in resistors, and replacing relays.

LED compliant relays are cheap and readily available, $2-$9 plug and play, I use one on my '81 that you can even adjust the flash timing to your desired speed. No resistors/wiring/soldering required. 

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/flashers-load-resistors/electronic-led-flasher-relays-for-motorcycle/787/842/ - on my VFR

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=node%3D404801011&field-keywords=led+flasher - Amazon if you aren't into superbrightleds 

Also, for what it's worth... the led indicators that I have are significantly brighter than the filament type bulbs they replaced. This increased brightness and visibility, which I hope equates to greater safety is one of the main reasons I have upgraded my bikes. I believe the statement about leds not being bright enough or as bright as traditional bulbs was correct at a point in the past, but is no longer valid in my opinion (with the caveat that I am sure there are some crap products out there where this may still be true). 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

To install the relay, so I need to unplug the stock relay under the instrument cluster, then replace it with the other or is there another solution for the switchback front indicator bulbs, besides the spliced in inline resistors? I only ask this because I literally just put my bike back together after a crash. I do at some point have to remove the fairings to repaint them, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to through all of that quite yet.

Thanks

• Member Contributer
14 hours ago, Lint said:

Hi all,

To install the relay, so I need to unplug the stock relay under the instrument cluster, then replace it with the other or is there another solution for the switchback front indicator bulbs, besides the spliced in inline resistors? I only ask this because I literally just put my bike back together after a crash. I do at some point have to remove the fairings to repaint them, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to through all of that quite yet.

Thanks

Lint - I replaced the stock relay under the instrument cluster, yes. I opted to do this as opposed to installing resistors and using the stock relay (which is how I think that version of this mod works). FWIW, I dropped the front part of the fairing and left the sides in place to do this. It was pretty easy as I recall, I just unclipped and unscrewed the necessary bits and dropped it forward and down. I was able to access the relay and also changed my instrument cluster bulbs over to LED at the same time. 

On 2/24/2018 at 6:53 AM, adkfinn said:

Lint - I replaced the stock relay under the instrument cluster, yes. I opted to do this as opposed to installing resistors and using the stock relay (which is how I think that version of this mod works). FWIW, I dropped the front part of the fairing and left the sides in place to do this. It was pretty easy as I recall, I just unclipped and unscrewed the necessary bits and dropped it forward and down. I was able to access the relay and also changed my instrument cluster bulbs over to LED at the same time. 

Thanks.

Archived