Changed Front Sprocket from 16T to 15T

Stevewils

Hi All,

So this weekend I changed my front sprocket from a 16T to a 15T. Pretty low cost item, only £16 including postage, and took about 2 hours in total to swap over. The only difficult bit was the piston falling out of the clutch slave cylinder, so I had to bleed the clutch fluid. My fault for not taping it up...

There's a noticeable difference in 1st, 2nd & 3rd, seems to pick up a bit quicker, higher speeds can't seem to feel any difference.

Gear indicator and quickshifter both still work.

I would certainly recommend it for a low cost upgrade.

I used this sprocket.

https://www.chainsandsprockets.co.uk/products/jtf1332-rubber-cushioned-front-drive-motorcycle-sprocket-15-teeth-jtf-1332-15-rb

Sorry I didn't take any pictures, it was the first time I attempted it so didn't want pictures of me cocking it up! I followed the procedure in the service manual and it was fairly straight forward. I will be checking it in a couple of weeks, I will take some pictures then and produce a procedure if there's demand for it.

Thanks Stevewils - ordered one this morning from JT.  I didn't purchase the one with the rubberized foam pc, I have seen this in on my enduro bike's - but was under the assumption that it was for a quiet drivetrain, but not real performance needed.  Will do a video when I install in the next two weeks.

44 minutes ago, Killerkingdon22 said:

Thanks Stevewils - ordered one this morning from JT.  I didn't purchase the one with the rubberized foam pc, I have seen this in on my enduro bike's - but was under the assumption that it was for a quiet drivetrain, but not real performance needed.  Will do a video when I install in the next two weeks.

The standard has a rubberised patch so just replaced like for like.

Be careful with the piston on the slave clutch cylinder, mine fell out and I had to bleed the clutch system. Not difficult but just a pain when you don't need to.

Steve.

• 2 months later...

In the shop right now - hope to pick her up this weekend.  Had my second service done early - think she is at 700 miles now with a total of three services!! LOL - New levers and sprocket, along with full lube and service.   Will make for a great video on the road back home.

Archived