WHAT DID YOU DO TODAY TO YOUR VFR 6TH GEN ?

VFRUNNER

I’ve been trying Chemical Guys wheel cleaner and it’s fantastic stuff. I just don’t think it was cleaned before my ownership, LMAO! It was matte black with tire and brake dust before I cleaned it last week. Now I need to do a light clean. 

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Nice. I always wondered if the Chemical Guys stuff was good. 

Not VFR related other than I can't work on the VFR in the rain but I can do some landscaping.... installed a self contained fountain jammy today. 

IMG_4548.JPG

IMG_4549.JPG

IMG_4550.JPG

well after either the previous owner (most likely), or the garage i bought the bike from turned the scott oiler upto full, I've had to strip it down and give it a good clean. New chain, front and back sprockets fitted at the same time. I've never had to deal with such much oily gunk in my life. Imagine taking a 2 finger scoop of copper slip out of a tub, well turn that black and scoop it out of the housing round the front sprocket. That's what I've had to deal with. Time for a shower or three. Looks a lot better now, not 100% but I ran out of rags.

Question though, do you oil a new chain straight away or leave what it comes covered in for a few miles?

Didn't have a chance to diagnose the knock, fuel tank is near full so a bit heavy to lift. I'll probably have time to do that tomorrow after I've done another commute and burnt a few litres.

edit, shit, I've clearly had an inch downstairs, now little anth has a black oily mark, back in the shower I go. 😅

• Member Contributer

Me personally, I’d take for a ride and let it fling off a bit.  Then a light lube. It’s not a MX bike, you don’t need crazy goopy mad thick junk on there. 

Received the used Corbin seat for my big trip in a little over 2 weeks. I have to admit I really like how solid this feels when clicked down compared to OEM! OEM was hurting me after a 700 mile weekend in the saddle. 

The OEM seat pan is flimsy where this seat is solidly locked down into the rear subframe. The seat area feels good so far, hopefully will feel better on the test ride this Sunday. The rear passenger sissy pad is a nice touch, but obviously won’t regularly be on the bike unless I’m taking a regular passenger back there 🙂

613D7669-1244-40D8-81B9-5B0C94050917.jpeg

• Member Contributer

Does the OEM seat cowl fit the Sargent?  Or is it the Corbin that fits it?  I’ve used both manufacturers over the years, both good for me. I’d like to retain the cowl if adding a fancy seat, I rarely have a passenger. 

• Member Contributer

Fitted a new set of GIVI top box racks and my old M5 Monokey plate and Maxia box.

The arms had the extra retainer strips connected under the pillion grips, feels super secure.

• Member Contributer

Fitted my new GoPro Mount to my GPS RAM/Telferizer Mount and tested it out. Seemed to work well together. 

25mm Swivel Ball to GoPro HERO Lateral Prong Pattern Adapter for Arkon Robust Series or Ram Mount

SP25MMGP

$12.95

EDABA703-50EE-43EB-A8EC-E2F596607888.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

So today I:-

1) fitted the PAIR elimination kit and removed that heap of junk.

2) fitted the O2 eliminators and fitted blanks to the O2 bosses on the exhaust headers.

3) removed the airbox snorkle

4) took her out for a wee blast.

Report / feedback;

After an initial hesitant start the bike didn't want to rev immediately and there was a slight delay in picking up revs. Once on the move the bike stuttered whilst it came to terms with the fact that there was no O2 feedback. A quick blast through the gears soon had the bike warmed up and running more as I expected after the mods.

Hitting a 30mph limit the bike was quite happy at low revs in the lower gears without stuttering and I knew the mods had achieved their objective.

Moving swiftly through the twisties I was able to drop down through the gears and hold a steady speed / accelerate without any of the snatchiness previously experienced.

Overall, I am pleased with the mods undertaken and would recommend them to others.

Next stage is finding an appropriate map and fitting the PCV.

• Member Contributer

Nice @smurfbud let us know how it works out. 

Ive just been enjoying the beautiful riding weather and my new HELD Airstream II gloves. Soft, good fit, decent ventilation, feel significant enough should I need protection.  Purchased from STG. 

B7C4A8DF-7834-40FA-A7C1-508FAFEED0BB.jpeg

2E073385-5694-4AE0-B870-D07F91C1F9E1.jpeg

7E8C4BD3-CC9D-4D18-82F2-EBE729444C0A.jpeg

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, VARIABLE9 said:

Nice @Urbanengineer you’ve put a lot of work in on the cooling system, here’s to a big payoff for you that your cooling issues have been remedied!

+1 Yeah good luck Urban, you've sure given it your best shot. Hope your in VFR heaven soon.

Cheers.:beer:

Didn’t overheat today giving it the beans. I’m pretty excited. Now I think my low RPM issue has to do with vacuum from the one way valve that splits to the flapper module and something else. Will test tomorrow...

edit - flapper is plugged in and doesn’t work. It would make sense - vacuum leak = troubled low RPM use and idle issues. One way valve is good I’ve tested it. 

• Member Contributer
33 minutes ago, Urbanengineer said:

I pulled the neutral sensor switch and it should activate. No dice. Now to trouble shoot. 

Hi Urban. 

You could try rigging up a tempory 12v test lamp to the control solenoid electrical plug. Mount the light somewhere visable. Now go for a ride under varying conditions, every time the light illuminates would be when the control valve energises closing the intake flap valve. It will also confirm your ECM is sending a control signal. Just a thought.

• Member Contributer

Not so much "did today" as "this is where my progress is today."

The shadows and texture of the areas I sanded down make it look a little odd, but the foam work is pretty smooth and nicely contoured to touch. With the Sargent (and even more so with the stock seat) I always felt like I was humping the tank. I'm a big, tall dude and the stock riding position was just too cramped. I installed Buell pegs and conventional bars, which helped, but those changes just made the problems with the seat more apparent.

Anyhow, I spent a lot of time hopping on and off as I built this up and shaped it. It's almost 2 inches taller at the front than the stock seat, about a half inch taller overall, and scooped out to allow me to sit a touch farther back. My overall center of gravity is probably pretty close to where a small guy would be, I've just got room to spread out now. Now if I can do as good a job on the cover...

The foam I used is some very firm 1/2" closed cell stuff, which I glued up with 3M headliner adhesive - same glue I used on my grip pads on the tank.

For profile comparison...

Sargent Seat:

Q6UYg48.jpg

Customized stock seat

4u7zEYL.jpg

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Urbanengineer said:

Finally rode it. Seems it is doing pretty well for now. Maybe I’ll buy a power commander in a few months. 

05E094E6-7030-4168-99AD-25D424439A3F.jpeg

Hi Urban.

Good to hear your bike is going well. If I were you I would let the dust settle for a while, with all the issues you've had it would be worth making absolutely sure your bike is running as best as it should in its basic form, once that's confirmed then move on to the Power Commander. Just a thought.

Aghhhh Dumb me - you did mention a few months!:wacko:

Hope you can now get to enjoy your bike. All the best.

Cheers.:beer:

Archived