WHAT DID YOU DO TODAY TO YOUR VFR 6TH GEN ?

VFRUNNER

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

@duccmann

I'll look around. I probably still have the template somewhere... I could scan it into a pdf for you to use as a pattern. I think you can get the Hydro Turf with 3M double stick backing... 

If I weren't a DIY kinda guy, I might call around to some smaller body shops and see if someone is interested. It really isn't any different than how they attach emblems.

Rode it again. It's performing quite well now. It's an enjoyable bike to ride. It is crazy smooth.

Still rides super hot for what I'd expect. My R1, R6, and Kawi 650 all stay about 170-180°F cruising. VFR sits just south of 200*F.

We've been through this before, but new coolant, new coolant hoses, pressure tested, radiators back flowed and clean, new thermostat... and still seems to be "running hot."

July is coming, if it's bad enough it'll show its true face.

• Member Contributer

Reinstalled the hard bag brackets, cleaned & lubed chain, replaced front brake pad pins - old were corroded.

This gives me an excuse to show yet another trip photo. Here's one from Spring 2014, on California's Pacific Coast Highway near Ragged Point. From Cambria to Monterey, PCH is a fantastic ride on a bright sunny morning.

large.1789666436_79Df-I05584hdr.JPG.c9276d00581721eb40e267c6e0921669.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

More pre-trip prep:

* changed oil (Motul 10/40) & filter (oe Honda)

* replaced air filter (oe Honda)

The old filter wasn't as scruffy as I feared but it still made sense to replace it.

filter.jpg

My 2006 vfr mostly sits for the last 5 years (other than every 2 week gas runs), too much fun on my plated ktm Dirtbike.

Even thought the VFR has 115,000 miles, its still in mint running shape, but not worth selling, cost too much to replace. Im not sure what would be an acceptable street bike replacement, even if I did want to trade it. KAW kz 900 is appealing

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

I turned over the 7500 mile mark today. Riding this summer super limited due to life and the East Coast HotMidity, so a break in temps this weekend meant I finally got a chance to get out for the first time in a few weeks. Man I really like this VFR. 

• 1 month later...

Always hated the black wheels on my bike so today i bit the bullet and decided to do something about it. I took the rear wheel off, sanded it down, sprayed some filler, primer and silver paint with clear coat on it and it came out great! I'll install some white rim tape before putting it back on my bike. I think they will look great on a red bike.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

20191012_134239.jpg

• Member Contributer
On 10/20/2019 at 11:42 AM, simo5555 said:

Always hated the black wheels on my bike so today i bit the bullet and decided to do something about it. I took the rear wheel off, sanded it down, sprayed some filler, primer and silver paint with clear coat on it and it came out great! I'll install some white rim tape before putting it back on my bike. I think they will look great on a red bike.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

20191012_134239.jpg

I'm looking forward to seeing the final product. :lurk:

@duccmann
I'll look around. I probably still have the template somewhere... I could scan it into a pdf for you to use as a pattern. I think you can get the Hydro Turf with 3M double stick backing... 

If I weren't a DIY kinda guy, I might call around to some smaller body shops and see if someone is interested. It really isn't any different than how they attach emblems.

I’m just now seeing this, been working way to much and haven’t been here for quite some time.
Thanks for the offer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I did and oil and coolant change today. Mileage is getting up there, 90,263 on the ODO Also helped a friend do the same for his bike with 119,557 miles. We also changed the spark plugs and fixed the seat latch release. Couldn’t get the seat off to lift the tank until we took off the rear cowl, which isn’t very easy when the seat is still on! It was a stuck cable, we were able to free up the cable and used some Teflon to lube it. Works great now.

Oil and filter done-also the radiator fluid.  She ran up to 220 while sitting in the garage.  The fan kicked on and it dropped to 200 real quick and the fan shut off.  PERFECT!  Running a Water Wetter product with Distilled water and maybe 10% Antifreeze 50/50 mix.  Need to find an OE tool kit.  Need to adjust the chain.  Also anyone using a tire balance rig at home?  I need to balance my wheels as the tires are still good.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, xpcgamer said:

Just placed my order.  Will swing by Harbor Freight tomorrow and grab some weights.

IIRC Marc included some weights with the balancer.  Mite want to check with him before buying more.  They're likely steel vs lead - lead weights have become difficult to find.  I prefer them as for a given weight they have a smaller footprint.  I always reuse my weights when fitting a new tire - I get the 3M 2 sided tape - maybe $5 +/-, peel the old adhesive off and cut a piece to fit.  Haven't lost one yet.   

• Member Contributer
On 10/23/2019 at 3:57 PM, duccmann said:

I’m just now seeing this, been working way to much and haven’t been here for quite some time.
Thanks for the offer emoji1306.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm out of town at the moment, but I'll try to remember it when I get home. I'll just scan it and post it here. Someone may get some use out of it at some point. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/20/2019 at 7:42 PM, simo5555 said:

"Always hated the black wheels on my bike so today i bit the bullet and decided to do something about it. I took the rear wheel off, sanded it down, sprayed some filler, primer and silver paint with clear coat on it and it came out great! I'll install some white rim tape before putting it back on my bike. I think they will look great on a red bike."

So, finally got some time during weekend to work on my bike. Did some mechanical work, installed the painted wheel - looks good even without the tyre and also swapped out the ugly exhaust for a good OEM one. Always liked the stock look of the bike. Installed the seat cowl (that needs paint thou) and rear grab handles too. 

20191106_143445.jpg

• 1 month later...

So yeah. Painted the seat cover, installed a new tire and did the shindengen upgrade. Also installed the gear indicator. Fork seals and oil change is next. Then the front wheel bearings and paint and im ready to ride!
82881990_851550675275225_1417619724879003648_n.thumb.jpg.0c6e539c38ed7d8f000aa52b655b2cdb.jpg

• Member Contributer
On 10/20/2019 at 11:42 AM, simo5555 said:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

20191012_134239.jpg

I didn't see this until today.  Several years ago, I went down the paint black wheels silver route with my 2002.  I hope your paint holds up better than mine, but I can tell you did a better job of prep.  Mine are black chrome (read gunmetal) powdercoat and they look as good as the day I got them back in 2014.  I know that I posted a photo back when I did them.

18 hours ago, Africord said:

I didn't see this until today.  Several years ago, I went down the paint black wheels silver route with my 2002.  I hope your paint holds up better than mine, but I can tell you did a better job of prep.  Mine are black chrome (read gunmetal) powdercoat and they look as good as the day I got them back in 2014.  I know that I posted a photo back when I did them.

Yup, i was too originally going to powdercoat mine too but the workshop didnt have the time back then. So i painted the wheels on my own and tried to make as good of a job as i could. The plan is to see how well it holds up and If it starts to chip, then i definitely will powdercoat mine too.  Do you have any pictures with the gunmetal wheels on your bike? Really like to see how they look

• Member Contributer
23 hours ago, simo5555 said:

Yup, i was too originally going to powdercoat mine too but the workshop didnt have the time back then. So i painted the wheels on my own and tried to make as good of a job as i could. The plan is to see how well it holds up and If it starts to chip, then i definitely will powdercoat mine too.  Do you have any pictures with the gunmetal wheels on your bike? Really like to see how they look

This one was handy.  

Archived