WHAT DID YOU DO TODAY TO YOUR VFR 6TH GEN ?

VFRUNNER

• Member Contributer

A whole lot of nothing done  lately. Sub freezing temps means I just get to peek under the cover every few days and dream of being somewhere else for a while.  I did compound out some scratches a few weeks ago, snow ice freezing rain every few days since. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/30/2019 at 11:21 AM, VARIABLE9 said:

Did you ever fix the overheating?  I remember you had it in the dealer for quite some time, then got it back, but don’t recall a definitive fixed or not. 

Nope, Trying to figure it out with my Honda buddy in our free time. The engine has great compression (within 3% of each other) and passes with flying colors on the leak down test.

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, Urbanengineer said:

Nope, Trying to figure it out with my Honda buddy in our free time. The engine has great compression (within 3% of each other) and passes with flying colors on the leak down test.

That’s a bummer.  I’m really hoping you get it sorted out. 

• Member Contributer
19 minutes ago, Urbanengineer said:

I got to ride the R1 and R6, took a day off working on the VFR. Hope to make some more progress tonight. 

You’ve done so much to rectify this issue, I feel like the only thing left is to check for passage obstruction internal to the engine. However I’m not certain as to how to accomplish this. 

1 hour ago, VARIABLE9 said:

You’ve done so much to rectify this issue, I feel like the only thing left is to check for passage obstruction internal to the engine. However I’m not certain as to how to accomplish this. 

I put a camera in the cyl, all is well. I’ve considered taking off the header but I feel like it’s just gonna burn my eardrums the first time I pull them out. 

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Urbanengineer said:

I put a camera in the cyl, all is well. I’ve considered taking off the header but I feel like it’s just gonna burn my eardrums the first time I pull them out. 

I guess I’m thinking water passages, not the cylinder so much. 

Was the engine ever rebuilt?  Heads off?  Maybe there’s a bolt blocking coolant flow in there. 

Or possibly just do an engine swap on it.  Find a low mile spare and swap it out.

Lowered the idle today after reassembling and everything checked out.

I’ll see how it does tomorrow when I take it on a mini little local trip to Pitt. I do need to find a fuse for the headlight, forgot I left that undone 🙄. So no night riding at the moment. 

But yeah, Honda mechanic magic made it work for now. Hopeful for the long run with this one. 

• Member Contributer

A very pleasant few days of late tempted me to reinsure my VTec this afternoon. Met with some friends to view a video of their ride last summer. Stopped for a portrait at Beacon Hill Park, looking across Juan de Fuca Straight to Port Angeles, Wash., and the mountains of Olympic National Park. The 90 minute ferry ride there from my home in Victoria is very familiar as it makes the first step of almost every summer trip.

Df-N12419srgb.JPG

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Urbanengineer said:

Everything checked out today. It was a pretty great ride. That VTEC transition can be pretty rough sometimes! This week will be finishing up the wiring and then putting it all back together. Thanks for you help everybody. 

Now you just need 99F and humid conditions during a track day to verify it!

Hey in all seriousness, glad you seem on the right track to have it fixed!  

• Member Contributer
15 hours ago, Urbanengineer said:

Everything checked out today. It was a pretty great ride. That VTEC transition can be pretty rough sometimes! This week will be finishing up the wiring and then putting it all back together. Thanks for you help everybody. 

Good Luck Urban. Sure hope by now that all the demons are fully exorcised from your VFR, joyous riding ahead of you.

Cheers.:beer:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
On 3/16/2019 at 8:12 PM, Lorne said:

A very pleasant few days of late tempted me to reinsure my VTec this afternoon. Met with some friends to view a video of their ride last summer. Stopped for a portrait at Beacon Hill Park, looking across Juan de Fuca Straight to Port Angeles, Wash., and the mountains of Olympic National Park. The 90 minute ferry ride there from my home in Victoria is very familiar as it makes the first step of almost every summer trip.

Df-N12419srgb.JPG

I was planning that trip going the other way last summer... Up Washington coast, across the ferry, up Vancouver Island, then take the ferry up to Prince Rupert... after that, I had a couple of options - whether to ride all the way over to Jasper and Banff or to turn south earlier.

Planned it all out, took the vacation time... everything was on fire, so I stayed home. I'm planning to go a little earlier in the summer this year.

• 2 weeks later...

Since the last attempt of bleeding my brakes and syncing starter valves ended with me and my buddy drinking heavily and hoping for the best so this time around I went to my local Honda Powersports dealer.   Long story short I don’t think my vfr ran this well when it was new!   All of the low end light switch throttle snatch is gone and the bike naturally idles much smoother.     The braking is much improved with a nice firm lever and pedal and the clutch is so much smoother to engage.    

The surprise was was not the service bill but the owner of the shop who rolled out a new 2019 goldwing when I jokingly asked about borrowing one to get home.   No joke he went over the features quickly and I was off on a “go have fun” ride.   

Large and in charge, the thing was rediculously comfortable and pretty damn fast, the torque was immense and the new front end simply works.   Well balanced and easy to ride, within a few miles I was comfortable with the size and enjoyed playing music and with that big six.   I tried to be a bit respectful to the new bike with 65 miles on it but I sampled enough to make me a believer.  The strong brakes and reverse make managing the big bike easy and the bike felt like the flagship model it is.   Very nice, so glad I got to scratch that itch.   I took it home so my wife could take a look and she approved of the bikes comfort and it was a great test ride and all but I don’t tour nearly enough to justify anything so expensive.   Fantastic machine that one day I could see owning when I’m retired and have time to take off to look for America.    

As excited as I was about riding the wing I’m more excited that my bike is back to its sweet v4 self.     

I took a pic of the WING sitting in my garage.....

1726FABA-D5CC-453E-AB6F-967B3E8B45CB.thumb.jpeg.cab79274a006cb2f52562384a35ddb5c.jpegF382428D-8AB2-46BD-8241-05D0F4E3F875.thumb.jpeg.c0b91a3bfe7c13e8e47bb23edb306a5e.jpeg

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Managed to get a 200 mile day in on Sunday. It was hot. But the VFR did well both in the turns and with the temps. And my posterior did well on the seat to boot. 😀

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, Mckoy015 said:

Hi, im a new owner of a 2006 vfr and i like your setup for the exhaust. What size midpipe did you use and what v&h muffler? Thanks

Who is this directed at?

The Honda pictured as my avatar picture thing is a RC213V-S. If that’s what you’re inquiring about. 

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/honda/rc213v-s/2015/

Finally got the cover finished for this bad boy... (with the help of a friend with a bit more skill with a sewing machine than I)

StcBd62.jpg&key=182cac89f18d44659c12f993c871222ff2ce6f8d36bf8c0dfa5c041efd7f27f7

I used heavy marine vinyl over the whole thing and the mesh is something I got from Seattle Fabrics that they call "Spacer Mesh". It's specifically designed to promote a bit of airflow between body and fabric... normally used for the back panel in backpacks and the like. It's a little bit grippy compared to vinyl, so I don't think it would work well for a super aggressive rider who likes to slide his weight around the seat a lot, but that really isn't me. I haven't given it a test ride yet, but just sitting in the garage, it feels like it will keep me as planted as I want to be, yet still let me shift my position when I want to. It was a bit of a trick to get the two fabrics to lay down together - they don't have the same amount of stretch. 

Hey Marv, those tank pads, did you have to cut to size and who makes them?

They look like TechSpec

50a5f35bc577698621ef728c66bdb3e2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

100% custom. I didn't like any of the pre-cut options: I wanted something that followed the body lines, and I really prefer to make my own stuff whenever I can. I worked a little in a body shop back in the day and I picked up a lot of little tricks for this kind of stuff.

The foam is actually Hydro Turf (mostly marketed to jet-skiers). I sketched out a template on posterboard, cut two mirror image pieces and smoothed up the edges with sandpaper. To attach them, I used 3M headliner adhesive - designed to make foam stick to metal. If works excellent if you follow the directions... clean everything beforehand with alcohol, do it on a hot day, or use a little forced air heater to preheat the metal like I did... I bought a bunch of cheap magnets from Harbor Freight, pre-placed the pads how I wanted them with the magnets and then went around the perimeter with masking tape and masked off all around. Sprayed the tank and the back of the pads with the 3M, and then used the masking tape perimeter to line them up just how I had them. The down side to the headliner adhesive is that it's a contact cement, so you get one shot at getting it right or you're basically just going to have to clean it all up and start from scratch. I used the magnets to hold them tight and give the adhesive time to cure. After that, cleanup was mostly just a matter of peeling the masking tape. I'm really happy with how they look and how they work. 

large.DSC_0162.JPG.a3f92341d1cc23425792890bfa2fb6df.JPG

large.DSC_0173.JPG.5a401fa3f3f00739735ce3c32a823d09.JPG

100% custom. I didn't like any of the pre-cut options: I wanted something that followed the body lines, and I really prefer to make my own stuff whenever I can. I worked a little in a body shop back in the day and I picked up a lot of little tricks for this kind of stuff.

The foam is actually Hydro Turf (mostly marketed to jet-skiers). I sketched out a template on posterboard, cut two mirror image pieces and smoothed up the edges with sandpaper. To attach them, I used 3M headliner adhesive - designed to make foam stick to metal. If works excellent if you follow the directions... clean everything beforehand with alcohol, do it on a hot day, or use a little forced air heater to preheat the metal like I did... I bought a bunch of cheap magnets from Harbor Freight, pre-placed the pads how I wanted them with the magnets and then went around the perimeter with masking tape and masked off all around. Sprayed the tank and the back of the pads with the 3M, and then used the masking tape perimeter to line them up just how I had them. The down side to the headliner adhesive is that it's a contact cement, so you get one shot at getting it right or you're basically just going to have to clean it all up and start from scratch. I used the magnets to hold them tight and give the adhesive time to cure. After that, cleanup was mostly just a matter of peeling the masking tape. I'm really happy with how they look and how they work. 

large.DSC_0162.JPG.a3f92341d1cc23425792890bfa2fb6df.JPG

large.DSC_0173.JPG.5a401fa3f3f00739735ce3c32a823d09.JPG

Man great job, wish you lived in LA I’d love some help making some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived