WHAT DID YOU DO TODAY TO YOUR VFR 6TH GEN ?

VFRUNNER

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer
On 18 November 2018 at 11:28 AM, Urbanengineer said:

Wow thats some mileage! I ordered two CCT's for mine today. Honda says that is my running issue - CCT failure.

Hi Urban.

Thats an interesting comment you've made. I would have thought by the time a CCT could give you "running issues" the cam chain would be rattling like crazy!  Well..........just hope whatever is the cause that one day your VFR is finally running on song in all aspects, you'll then know you're in motorcycle heaven!!!!

Cheers.

• Member Contributer

It would make sense if the cams were put in wrong and out of time, but a chain would have to be seriously stretched to cause that, and would sound like a jack hammer. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

My VFR cleaned up pretty nicely this week. Haven't ridden much since September but an open carport allows dust & varmints to mess it up. Took this photo before putting it under cover to hibernate through the coming winter.

Df-M08425_blend.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/1/2018 at 4:07 PM, Lorne said:

My VFR cleaned up pretty nicely this week. Haven't ridden much since September but an open carport allows dust & varmints to mess it up. Took this photo before putting it under cover to hibernate through the coming winter.

Df-M08425_blend.jpg

She is a beauty!

Whenever I hear about folks parking their bike for winter, I want to cry. 

::insert digital sympathy card here::

May your season be bright and may spring come early.

B.

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, BGross said:

Whenever I hear about folks parking their bike for winter, I want to cry. 

Thanks for the sympathy, but so I can't complain as I've been fortunate to ride in NorCal annually since 1994. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
14 minutes ago, Urbanengineer said:

Going to pick it up tomorrow. Boy I am excited. 

Wow that's been a long while... Sure hope they have exorcised all demons from it.

Good luck, keep us posted on how she goes.

Cheers :beer:

On 12/1/2018 at 6:07 PM, Lorne said:

Df-M08425_blend.jpg

Oh my. That's gorgeous!

Is there a photo album somewhere?

JOE

V4 Dreams (.com)

• 3 weeks later...

Just dropped her off for an MOT. First time I've had a bike tested, I know there is something weird with the left indicator, you flick the switch, it flashes once, then does nothing for 5 seconds before starting to flash normally. But when waiting outside another customer said the rear tyre was square. It looks fine to me but as it's my first bike I am now not sure and I'm now expecting a bill 😖

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, anth85 said:

Just dropped her off for an MOT. First time I've had a bike tested, I know there is something weird with the left indicator, you flick the switch, it flashes once, then does nothing for 5 seconds before starting to flash normally. But when waiting outside another customer said the rear tyre was square. It looks fine to me but as it's my first bike I am now not sure and I'm now expecting a bill 😖

Hi Anth85. What's your indicator flash like when you operate the Hazard switch? Are both left and right indicator lights working normally? If all lights operate normally in Hazard, then think there might be something strange going on with the Turn Indicator Switch.

9 minutes ago, Grum said:

Hi Anth85. What's your indicator flash like when you operate the Hazard switch? Are both left and right indicator lights working normally? If all lights operate normally in Hazard, then think there might be something strange going on with the Turn Indicator Switch.

to be 100% honest, I didn't think the 03 had hazards...

all bulbs work normally, there is just this weird delay after the first flash on the left indicator. 

• Member Contributer
7 minutes ago, anth85 said:

to be 100% honest, I didn't think the 03 had hazards...

all bulbs work normally, there is just this weird delay after the first flash on the left indicator. 

Ah yes, I was looking at my 04 U version wiring diagram, sorry bout that.

As the flasher has no bearing on Left or Right, then I wonder if the left bulbs front and rear are the correct wattage also might be something flakey in your Turn Switch.

Cheers.

just had the call, rear tyre is advisory there is enough on it to pass but probably should be changed soon, the front tyre is dead. Im quite shocked at to be honest I thought it looked like there were loads of life left it in. Nevermind if I was changing the rear (which I would from an advisory) then I'd do them as a pair anyway. The indicator is probably the switchgear, they are going to look at it this afternoon. Their tyre supplier is shut today so they'll get a price for the same Bridgestone battlax bt023 that are already on tomorrow.

Getting Michelin Road 5s fitted rather than the Bridgestone, been reading that they are very good. The indicator was a corroded connection inside the switchgear, that has been resolved. Just waiting on the call to say I can go and pick her up.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
On 8/25/2018 at 5:59 PM, Marvelicious said:

Not so much "did today" as "this is where my progress is today."

The shadows and texture of the areas I sanded down make it look a little odd, but the foam work is pretty smooth and nicely contoured to touch. With the Sargent (and even more so with the stock seat) I always felt like I was humping the tank. I'm a big, tall dude and the stock riding position was just too cramped. I installed Buell pegs and conventional bars, which helped, but those changes just made the problems with the seat more apparent.

Anyhow, I spent a lot of time hopping on and off as I built this up and shaped it. It's almost 2 inches taller at the front than the stock seat, about a half inch taller overall, and scooped out to allow me to sit a touch farther back. My overall center of gravity is probably pretty close to where a small guy would be, I've just got room to spread out now. Now if I can do as good a job on the cover...

The foam I used is some very firm 1/2" closed cell stuff, which I glued up with 3M headliner adhesive - same glue I used on my grip pads on the tank.

For profile comparison...

Sargent Seat:

Q6UYg48.jpg

Customized stock seat

4u7zEYL.jpg

Finally got the cover finished for this bad boy... (with the help of a friend with a bit more skill with a sewing machine than I)

StcBd62.jpg

I used heavy marine vinyl over the whole thing and the mesh is something I got from Seattle Fabrics that they call "Spacer Mesh". It's specifically designed to promote a bit of airflow between body and fabric... normally used for the back panel in backpacks and the like. It's a little bit grippy compared to vinyl, so I don't think it would work well for a super aggressive rider who likes to slide his weight around the seat a lot, but that really isn't me. I haven't given it a test ride yet, but just sitting in the garage, it feels like it will keep me as planted as I want to be, yet still let me shift my position when I want to. It was a bit of a trick to get the two fabrics to lay down together - they don't have the same amount of stretch. 

Archived