WHAT DID YOU DO TODAY TO YOUR VFR 6TH GEN ?

VFRUNNER

5 minutes ago, Grum said:

Hi Vfrunner.

Thats a fantastic Seb clutch cover. But, man, I would be very concerned about your internal lighting, if that stuff gives way inside your engine, who knows what damage it will cause.

Thanks . I'm not to worried since I did my research regarding best epoxy to use.

I'm using a commercial product but can be purchased online. They specialize in adhesives.   Here is their website link. https://www.atomadhesives.com 

I stand by their products 

100%.   

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer
23 hours ago, VFRUNNER said:

Thanks . I'm not to worried since I did my research regarding best epoxy to use.

I'm using a commercial product but can be purchased online. They specialize in adhesives.   Here is their website link. https://www.atomadhesives.com 

I stand by their products 

100%.   

It's your call, and have no doubt the epoxy is a very good product, but the engine internals is an extremely hostile environment, just the thermal expansion and contraction over time might cause havoc with epoxy, modern day oil chemistry could also have a negative long term effect. Just feel you are taking a big risk. 

Good luck with it, the lighting effect certainly looks good............But...

Cheers.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Nothing new since May 3? 

Well I have a new to me 6th Gen, so here goes. 

Spent hours looking at aftermarket exhaust options. 

Two Brothers.  Nah. Can’t do a single working can. 

Delkevic. Maybe. Not the best looking imo. But affordable and options. 

Remus?  Staintune?  Blue Flame?  Devil?  IXil?  Cmon where’d all the retro manufacturers go?!

Leo Vince. Yes.  Now where to get a discontinued item...anyone have one for sale?

Theres also GPR from Italy. Pricey. Any feedback?

Laser. Some used on eBay UK. But I am not a fan of the look. 

Now how about some retro Supertrapp’s? Ever been done?

or two Tyga Moto Maggot’s?

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, Urbanengineer said:

They come up for sale not very often here. You could go 98-02 style and drop weight/high up mass. Delkevic seems to make some nice exhausts for their price. They also make exhausts for “non normal” bikes which I like. 

I thought about it for a minute, but I dig the high up duals. I’m not in a rush so I’ll keep checking the ads and eBay for a Leo. But won’t rule out the Delkevic and GPR’s just yet. 

First oil and filter change done. Very little service history for the last 6 or 7 years so put some Motul 300V in with a k&n filter. The filter was only £2 more than standard but it was worth it just for the socket end for easy fitting and removal. 

First time is had the fairing off and those push pins were a nightmare! Also the bolts at the bottom front were wreaked. I’ve had to cut them out and cable tie it back together until I can sort something more permanent. 

Rear brake switch keep sticking on so I’ve greased it up and slackened off the spring, probably going to order a replacement though.

• Member Contributer

Be very careful with the K&N filter.

Lots of horror stories with them.

Look up the many K&N oil filter fails in this and other forums.

I would get rid of it as soon as posible if it was me.

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, anth85 said:

First oil and filter change done. Very little service history for the last 6 or 7 years so put some Motul 300V in with a k&n filter. The filter was only £2 more than standard but it was worth it just for the socket end for easy fitting and removal. 

1 hour ago, VFROZ said:

Anth85. Big Warning here. NEVER EVER tightened those K&N Filters with the socket it is ONLY to be use to remove the filter.

VFROZ is correct, there are some terrible stories of these filters failing at the wields for the hex nut. I would also do as VFROZ stated and remove the bloody thing!

Also a wooden golf tee is great for popping those clips underneath the fairing. With very little service history, would suggest replacing all fluids. Brakes, Clutch, Cooling - the lot.

• Member Contributer

K&N actually issued a recall on them but not sure if they changed the design to prevent the failure(s) they were experiencing or just recalled a bad batch. The latter would mean it was one HUGE batch, as this has been an issue for several years...

7 hours ago, VFROZ said:

Ah balls. More oil to buy again then ☹️

It’s a bike with no history. You didn’t change all the oil out anyways, so consider it a positive change out of factory oil still left in there 😛

I was first to a scene this past weekend of a Ninja 650 crash. Turned out oil had been dripping from the nut at the oil filter and slowly coated the rear tire and such, causing the bike to wipe out in a simple turn. The rider was alright, but bike was good and destroyed. 

Friends dont let friends use filters with spin off nuts, as it weakens the filter structure and likely causes a leak. Mid Ohio Race Track has BANNED USE of oil filters with nuts, so I will never use one again. 

Next time dont waste money on $80 oil. 

D2B29C80-4922-4D15-AD07-B6EC3C514638.jpeg

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, anth85 said:

Ah balls. More oil to buy again then ☹️

If you have zero or limited miles on the oil from the K&N oil change why not just drain into a clean pan and reuse the oil. Swapping to a reliable filter. 

• Member Contributer

Nice. Have fun - I’ll be testing out my GPS and tank bag for the first time on the VFR. 

My accomplishment today was mounting a Telferizer and assembling my RAM Mount for my Garmin Nuvi. 

AD976853-6B0B-4D43-ADDC-956E50BBD275.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
On 7/7/2018 at 6:29 PM, Urbanengineer said:

Loaded it up into a trailer 😁. We are gonna go fast soon and Put super sports in their super place.

E31E8196-82FA-46F8-BB66-6C0C0095D301.jpeg

B55A2E7E-2E0A-41F8-B99E-40A6699D155D.jpeg

So where are the pictures from your track day?  Besides the high coolant temps you mentioned elsewhere how did it go?

• Member Contributer

Today used my new TubO’Towels to clean my wheels after a 500mi trip last week. 

90 towels for about $10, took 10 to clean the wheels. So I’ll get nine uses from the tub at about $1 and change each wheel cleaning. 

They worked well. Would recommend. 

9D5E6636-F467-477C-9F78-A512A57962FD.jpeg

33A010B0-8500-4129-A7BF-023FF72FDA77.jpeg

It went pretty well except for them freaking out about me having a center stand. The track org made me try to take it off which I was fine with... only to realize I had to remove the whole rear exhaust header section. They let me by with it wired up tight. 

Continental sport touring tires performed very well. 

Great coaching. Brian knew his stuff. You can see me ride it here: 

9D66798B-3ED2-47DD-B00D-CB7839BDBC81.jpeg

55C140C8-86CE-4715-A7F6-44FF3E1A0846.jpeg

DC81F471-7439-4AD4-882C-D95126E71C42.jpeg

2 minutes ago, VARIABLE9 said:

Today used my new TubO’Towels to clean my wheels after a 500mi trip last week. 

90 towels for about $10, took 10 to clean the wheels. So I’ll get nine uses from the tub at about $1 and change each wheel cleaning. 

They worked well. Would recommend. 

Looks great! I need to clean my bike more but it’s currently a beater. 

• Member Contributer
17 minutes ago, Urbanengineer said:

Looks great! I need to clean my bike more but it’s currently a beater. 

Nice video and pictures. Kudos to you for putting a VFR on track and flogging it. Looks like the weather was great. 

I just bought a GoPro Mount that attaches to my RAM Mount double socket at the steering stem. Going to try to shoot some video next day trip. 

Re: cleaning. It’s therapeutic for me. I generally am only fair weather so the wheels are all that need the extra effort. The plastics I use Plexus and microfiber and it’s dead easy to clean the whole VFR in about 5 minutes. 

• Member Contributer

My favorite cleaning products:

Plexus

Armor All brand microfiber towels

TubO’Towels

Simple Green

Griots Garage car was solution& shaggy sponge 

Kobalt leaf blower

Archived