WHAT DID YOU DO TODAY TO YOUR VFR 6TH GEN ?

VFRUNNER

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

looks good.  Have more pictures of the whole bike?  Also, how did you do it?

6 hours ago, Rice said:

looks good.  Have more pictures of the whole bike?  Also, how did you do it?

It all started when the 8th gen came out once I saw the rim I was super Interested in it.  I told my self I wanted that rim so I waited and waited until I found a trashed 8th gen .  From my research I found out the the axle is basically the same size the only thing different is the length of the axle.  It's a little bit longer on the 8th gen because then put a bigger nut on it. That was the only thing different .  So for the 5 bolt vs the 4 bolt . The rotor from the 8th gen is the second part you need since it's 5 holes . If you have 6th gen abs model vfr you need to modify the rotor from the 8th gen .  The abs ring on the 8th gen is a different size then the 6 gen . So I had to take off the 8th gen and weld the 6th gen on to the 8th gen rotor .  Once that was done it was a perfect match .  Fyi if you have non abs then you can skip the welding of the abs ring. So I put the bike back together and went for a drive and to my surprise it drives amazing .  No issues at all .  I have to say this was a easy swap .  Well worth the $600 I spent on parts .

So the parts I purchased was the 8th gen rim 8th gen rotor and axle nut.   While I was doing all this I went ahead and changed all the bearing in the rear end .. I also decided while the parts were off to paint the rear swing arm black . Personally preference. 

I will post some picture when I can. But if you have any other question feel free to ask .  I recommend this swap  makes a huge difference in look . Plus i think the new rim is a couple pounds lighter 

• Member Contributer

I better not see any other generation VFR post here as the thread title says it all!

Nice

In terms of all these clickbait titles popping up like the mushrooms being popped by some... Perhaps there should be one sole generic "What did you do to your VFR today?" thread and that's it, but personally I believe there should be none.

The title is meant to allude to the subject broached in the thread. Helps with later searches for particular information. Otherwise it's like a library which stores books randomly.

Any opinion from the board of moderators and administrators?

1 hour ago, Kwee69 said:

No undertail exhaust on your 6th Gen ?

Nope. I removed it . I'm in the process of installing dual muffler  where the catalytic converter is located .  I purchased the delkevic full exhaust . Where the exhaust ends I plan to put a Y splitter and have a short pipe come from both sides of the bike .     Once i have completed I will post pictures .  I've purchase dual toce muffler.  

I posted picture to give u a idea what it will look like on both sides .  

51mm-inlet-universal-motorcycle-double-treble.jpg

Yamaha-Detailed-R6-Toce-2-01.jpg

• Member Contributer
On 04/02/2018 at 1:19 AM, Duc2V4 said:

I better not see any other generation VFR post here as the thread title says it all!

20170918_154641.thumb.jpg.21c383f3b01dff612c63a21f7e9d627a.jpgoops.  :computer-noworky: bloody computer. :tongue::491:

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, fink said:

20170918_154641.thumb.jpg.21c383f3b01dff612c63a21f7e9d627a.jpgoops.  :computer-noworky: bloody computer. :tongue::491:

Wow, your 6 Gen looks odd from that angle.

• 3 weeks later...

I recently added a 2014 honda 8th gen  rear hugger on my 6th gen .   I was really surprised how easy the install went .  Was worth every doller .    This is a oem hugger.    All I did was drilled and taped two holes on the top of the swing arm  with my handy dewalt  attachment . It was very easy .  The item bolt size that you need to tap is M6

20180222_193348.jpg

20180222_193326.jpg

20180222_193240.jpg

• Member Contributer

Looking to see the finished product!  Looks good!  Love the 8th gen wheel on 6th gens - just aces.  I had a red fox hugger that split - the OEM route looks perfect - many thanks for sharing! 

Dave

Got tired of looking at the scratches from the PO's drop.  Did a little touchup. You can see that it doesn't match but only when standing next to it. One reason I didn't want this color is that you can't really touch it up. I just dabbed a little paint in the scratches, waiting a couple of days, wet sand, and polish.IMG_4921.thumb.JPG.f76ce380f5397353c6d3d62c6d7d5748.JPGIMG_4935.thumb.JPG.4317fc64901761d3611d3bf490d1f41f.JPG

2 hours ago, Sweeper said:

Got tired of looking at the scratches from the PO's drop.  Did a little touchup. You can see that it doesn't match but only when standing next to it. One reason I didn't want this color is that you can't really touch it up. I just dabbed a little paint in the scratches, waiting a couple of days, wet sand, and polish.IMG_4921.thumb.JPG.f76ce380f5397353c6d3d62c6d7d5748.JPGIMG_4935.thumb.JPG.4317fc64901761d3611d3bf490d1f41f.JPG

Looks amazing .  Can't even tell . . Nice job . You can always vinyl wrap the whole bike if u don't like the colour 

• Member Contributer

Sweeper, looks very good.  I know with this stuff if you're a perfectionist it can drive you nuts.  But just think of those spots as character marks. :-) 

Love the colour btw.

Dave

On 24/02/2018 at 4:51 PM, Sweeper said:

Looks amazing .  Can't even tell . . Nice job . You can always vinyl wrap the whole bike if u don't like the colour 

43 minutes ago, dgordon said:

Would anyone have the Honda part number for the 8th gen hugger?  I've checked fiches but can't seem to find it.  Many thanks

Dave

the part number is  08F70-MJM-D10.  

Its  a honda motorcycle accessories part.  

Archived