1200F PGM-Fi Warning Light - help

Skids

• Member Contributer

My 2014 VFR1200F has been sat in the garage all winter, connected to a battery optimiser. The engine is standard with the exception of a DAM exhaust.

I just went outside to give her a routine engine warm and the engine would not catch. Starter motor running fine, but no combustion. Eventually, after several minutes of trying. slowly and sluggishly she sprang to life but the engine is not running smoothly and idles roughly.

The PGM-Fi light remains illuminated when the engine is running.

I know the Owners Manual says get it to a dealer but does anyone have any knowledge or experience that could help me before I resort to that?

Thanks.

When you switch ignition on and try to start do the lights blink?

Sometimes it ts possible to read the issue from blinking pattern. If not, you need a device to read the errors from bikes memory.

Wysłane z mojego SM-G950F przy użyciu Tapatalka

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, tomcatek said:

Sometimes it ts possible to read the issue from blinking pattern. If not, you need a device to read the errors from bikes memory.

Thanks. Not previously had time to look at this but I've now found the relevant section in the Service Manual.

The Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) remains ON and the engine runs roughly. Service Manual (6.11) gives the procedure for reading the MIL but you can not read the sub-code without the Honda Diagnostic System (HDS) Pocket Tester so my ability to fully diagnose will be limited....plus I don't intend to rip her apart myself as I don't trust my limited skills on an unknown bike so I'll have to contact my local dealer and get them to collect the bike and accept I'll end up paying through the nose. :sad:

9 hours ago, tomcatek said:

Tylko jak rozlozysz stopke boczna ;)

• Member Contributer

You can't read the MIL sub-code without the HDS Pocket Tool according to the Service Manual.

What exactly is the HDS Pocket Tool? Is it like the 5th Gen where it's just a short jumper lead? Anyone know?

• Member Contributer

Just popped out to take a look at the MIL code and start to get an idea of what to do.....and the problem has vanished (for now???).

PGM-FI light went out shortly after turning the ignition on and the bike started instantly and is running smoothly.

Thanks for the inputs though guys. :beer:

Hopefully this was a one-off caused by a long period without running.

2 hours ago, Skids said:

You can't read the MIL sub-code without the HDS Pocket Tool according to the Service Manual.

What exactly is the HDS Pocket Tool? Is it like the 5th Gen where it's just a short jumper lead? Anyone know?

You can - been using this method for yonks...

I have a HDS pocket - it's virtually useless.

• Member Contributer
On 3 February 2018 at 11:40 PM, Skids said:

Just popped out to take a look at the MIL code and start to get an idea of what to do.....and the problem has vanished (for now???).

PGM-FI light went out shortly after turning the ignition on and the bike started instantly and is running smoothly.

Thanks for the inputs though guys. :beer:

Hopefully this was a one-off caused by a long period without running.

Skids. If it's the same as the VFR800, you don't specifically need the sub code, the MIL will display the item at fault the sub code will just refine the level of fault with that item.

Also suggest you try and disconnect your battery for say 30mins reconnect and see how you go.

Always a good practice during your long winter hibernation time to fire the bike up to full operating temp for a while every few weeks.

Good Luck.

Cheers

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Grum said:

Always a good practice during your long winter hibernation time to fire the bike up to full operating temp for a while every few weeks.

Was always my intention.

• Member Contributer

Will try to wrote it down clean : disconnect the battery for more than 10 minutes

connect back the battery 

start the bike and let it  idle  , WITHOUT touch the throttle  till cooling fan switch on and off . 

switch bike off 

end  

That´s honda procedure for the Ride by Wire system we are using .

Hope that´s could be helpful

• Member Contributer
15 hours ago, Ghostrider1127 said:

After you disconnect the battery : start the bike and let it run at idle WITHOUT touch the throttle  , till cooling fan switch oh and off .     

That´s honda procedure for the Ride by Wire system ;)

Hi Ghostrider1127.

Ok. So what does this procedure do? Does it provide a reset or reinitialise of the ECM software? Does it resynch the throttle by wire system?

As you are a HRC Tech, It would be of great interest to know exactly why you are suggesting this procedure and what the procedure does?

Cheers.

• Member Contributer
On 05/02/2018 at 10:00 AM, Ghostrider1127 said:

After you disconnect the battery (presumably from the battery tender???) :start the bike and let it run at idle WITHOUT touch the throttle  , till cooling fan switch oh and off .     

That´s honda procedure for the Ride by Wire system ;)

• Member Contributer

My Tiger 800 had some sort of reset sequence involving starting the engine and not touching the throttle until the fans turned on.  It was documented in the repair manual.  Never seen any documentation of something similar for the VFR1200.

My 1200 has done the same thing a few times (minus the MIL light).  It seems like the bike easily floods on a cold start.  If I thumb the starter and wack the throttle, the bike will stall and be a bitch to start.  I've also had that happen when I fired up the bike (warmish) reved the motor to show off my Damn exhaust and shut it down for the night.  Next morning she did not want to start.

I now, start it up and let it idle a couple minutes (while I gear up) before I even touch the gas.  When I arrive at my destination, I just shut-er-down with no shenanigans.  Haven't had an issue since I started doing that (actually about the same time I had the Guhl flash as well... not sure the two are related tho).

I don't recall if there was a MIL or not, but mine had a similar occurrence of poor running a couple of years ago when I allowed the batter to go completely flat for a few weeks and then tried to jump start it.  It fired and ran, but did so poorly and wouldn't maintain an idle.  I put it on a proper battery charger (not a low-amp tender) and an hour later it started and ran great and continued to run well for the week-long ride I took immediately afterwards.  Battery replacement afterwards seems to have resolved it in my case.

Archived