2018 PRE-Ride to the Spring Memorial Ride

VFRpwr

Posting an invitation to the Spring Memorial PRE-Ride:  It will be just like last year with a slightly different route, maybe without the section of the 'SE' Sand and Gravel Tour :goofy:

For those who wish to take part; am publishing the Rev.1 itinerary which is for 3-days of overnight Sport-touring riding before the main event on Thursday.  Rev.1 Itinerary attached for your reading, pondering and route change suggestions.  It's just a shade over 1MB in pdf form this year.  Rather than the clunky 12MB docx file of previous years.  

Please have a look over the proposed itinerary and lemme' know whatchya' think, whatchya' like, whatchya' wanna' change, whya' never liked this idea in the first place, ...whatever. 

Thinking of starting on Monday which will get us back on Wed evening to Franklin this time.

All comments, road recommendations, likes and dislikes are welcomed and will be filtered and maybe answered in a very un-timely manner - based on how I feel that day. 

We'll sort it all through the very fair method of a disinterested third party (likely me.  After several days to consider) and will publish Rev.2 that will become THE itinerary after interest and comments die down.  With over 3 months to go considering out attention spans should be able to finalize Rev.2 well before the Spring Ride to get hotels sorted for the participants.

Let the comments begin...

Cheers!

Rob

2018 Spring Pre-Ride Itinerary - Rev 1.pdf

• Member Contributer

I plan on getting to Franklin sometime Monday. BUT the Spring Pre-ride WILL seperate the young and not-so-young from this certified Old Phart. I doubt that those roads will leave me with enough energy to ride later in the week. I'll already have covered ~ 1,100 miles just getting to Franklin.  

It sounds like a great little tour and I wish I could come. I guess with age comes a little nod to reality. :sad:  Just a little though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

As you do the routes in this area there is an alternative place to stay that has had my attention for the last few years.  Just up the Parkway from Little Switzerland is Pineola NC which is right on the Parkway itself, a little more towards Blowing Rock.

There is the Pineola Inn which is as about a biker friendly place as anyone can imagine, and, (I almost should be shot for saying this) I pay $69 a night. Old time, back up to your door place with a liquor store attached, a great condition coin laundry and a short walk (I mean short) to an Italian restaurant, a barbeque place and fuel.

In the morning , at the intersection of the Parkway there is Christas Place, a place to back your bike up to and sit there and have a great breakfast before heading out.

Pull offs like this are my glimpse of paradise.

After a good days ride you can unpack the bike and ride up to the Linn Cove viaduct and watch the sunset.

Link to the inn;

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g49435-d2334157-Reviews-Pineola_Inn-Pineola_North_Carolina.html

Looks like a nice place. The big deal with Little Switzerland is the view. It is so rewarding after a long day to watch the sunset with a beverage.

Are you going to make the event this year Mike?

• Member Contributer

Certainly a +10 on the view from Little Switzerland, it is one of my favorite places.  

I really hope to make the pre ride or the spring memorial ride.  I have been considering a ride out to Big Bend early this year as well, GS for that one.

I will know more in the next couple of weeks.  Time vs Money, the only equation I really understand these days.

A couple of the Linn Cove viaduct.....ahhhhh

106_1276.JPG

106_1277.JPG

20 hours ago, Sweeper said:

Meet in Franklin Sunday before and pull out Monday whenever Rob gets ready.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I, sir, may indeed have resembled that in other years - but now have turned over a new more timely leaf!  ?

• Member Contributer

I'm not available until Tuesday.  Where will you be then?

15 hours ago, VFRpwr said:

I, sir, may indeed have resembled that in other years - but now have turned over a new more timely leaf!  ?

So you're sayin we'll be on the road before 10:00? :wink:

34 minutes ago, gloryracing said:

Do you have rooms booked at the Switzerland Inn for Wednesday evening?  I just checked and there are no $79 rooms available...only around  $155 and up. 

The DiamondBack Lodge is single rooms only and motorcycle only.  Maybe they didn't get the picture.  I hope they're not booked up cause I'm not in yet.

18 hours ago, Sweeper said:

So you're sayin we'll be on the road before 10:00? :wink:

Yes. (Insert pithy comment here) LOL!

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/14/2018 at 12:24 AM, 007 said:

I'm not available until Tuesday.  Where will you be then?

Leaving Bristol in the morning then The Snake, over 58 to 16 up and down to 221 down to 181 around to 226A and then it's sunset time by the fire.

Figure lunch at some fine Boone establishment.  Should we keep an eye out for the RWB blurr?  Or will you be on some other colour blurr?

• Member Contributer
On 3/7/2018 at 8:46 PM, VFRpwr said:

Leaving Bristol in the morning then The Snake, over 58 to 16 up and down to 221 down to 181 around to 226A and then it's sunset time by the fire.

Figure lunch at some fine Boone establishment.  Should we keep an eye out for the RWB blurr?  Or will you be on some other colour blurr?

I took off work Monday.  I'm not sure what color blur I will be on.  So many choices now, the only thing I can say for sure is it won't be black.  It may depend on the one that has tires.  Or if I trailer all the way from NC, I can bring two bikes and spare wheels.

4 hours ago, 007 said:

I took off work Monday.  I'm not sure what color blur I will be on.  So many choices now, the only thing I can say for sure is it won't be black.  It may depend on the one that has tires.  Or if I trailer all the way from NC, I can bring two bikes and spare wheels.

I'm bringing two bikes. Just not sure which two yet. I Grace decides to make Friday and Saturday, then her bike comes. If not, the DRZ will come and I will seek out dirty roads on those two days. I think.

4 hours ago, 007 said:

Hey, that's great news about Monday.

Had a harangue all queued up for a NC plated trailer showing up - but spare wheels with fresh tires make a lot of sense now...

(Just have to tell Randy to take it easy.)

Hello all,  newer member to the forum and would like to join in for this ride.  I'll be riding over from Myrtle Beach and would like to hook up in Roseman NC on day 1 if that's okay.  Do you guys ride together as a group or just meet up at certain points?  I'm good either way, and can wick-it up or slow it down and smell the asphalt--just enjoy riding. Mike 

Hi Zeta,  if you are up for 8 hours of near constant twisties each day then come on and join us. 

We ride together in a very loose, casual way following the staggered pattern for group riding if we bunch up through any built up area.

Ball park estimate for timing would put us heading up 215 from 64 (nearest to Rosman) at 10:30-10:45.  But if I'm too optimistic in my estimate just head up 215 toward Canton and Crabtree Mountain Rd/1509 to 209 North and enjoy one of the nicest bits or pavement in the route.  We don't really do any planned stops* other than gas stops and the destination for the day, the aim is to enjoy the greatest roads on earth and arrive at the hotel before dark and find a place to eat close-by.

* the Carver's Gap sign on Roan Mountain has been one stop that IS 'scheduled'.  To take at least one good group photo and one that is, not so good or serious. 

Trying to figure out how I can make the Spring Ride work for me this year.  Coming from Minnesota, I will likely trailer the bike most of the way so I'm not completely burnt out by the time I get down there.  Are you starting and ending at the Microtel?

Thursday to Sunday start and end at the Microtel each day. After four days of riding in this area, you will welcome some trailer time.

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Sweeper said:

Thursday to Sunday start and end at the Microtel each day. After four days of riding in this area, you will welcome some trailer time.

If you're old.

On 3/11/2018 at 8:41 PM, Sweeper said:

I'm bringing two bikes. Just not sure which two yet. I Grace decides to make Friday and Saturday, then her bike comes. If not, the DRZ will come and I will seek out dirty roads on those two days. I think.

Why don't you just bring "her" bike and the DRZ and ride them both?  It's not like people ride VFRs to these VFR rallies anymore. 

On 3/11/2018 at 8:43 PM, VFRpwr said:

Hey, that's great news about Monday.

Had a harangue all queued up for a NC plated trailer showing up - but spare wheels with fresh tires make a lot of sense now...

(Just have to tell Randy to take it easy.)

I may be at VIR North on Monday, lol!

On 3/11/2018 at 10:40 PM, Zeta said:

Hello all,  newer member to the forum and would like to join in for this ride.  I'll be riding over from Myrtle Beach and would like to hook up in Roseman NC on day 1 if that's okay.  Do you guys ride together as a group or just meet up at certain points?  I'm good either way, and can wick-it up or slow it down and smell the asphalt--just enjoy riding. Mike 

I would invite you to ride along with me, but I'm told I can't slow down and shouldn't be followed...

• Member Contributer
56 minutes ago, 007 said:

If you're old.

In that case I’ll be by tomorrow to pick up your sweet new trailer set up. Don’t want you to feel like an old fart.😜

Archived