EBC CK1218 and number of friction discs required

OnFire

• Member Contributer

Turns out my grabby cold clutch is still not fixed after bleeding the clutch system. I ordered the EBC kit CK1218, which comes with 8 discs, 7 normal + 1 with the larger inner Diameter. 

Looking at the service manual for the 04 VFR800, it shows 9 friction discs? Does anyone know if that is correct? How many friction disks do I need? 

Thanks, Thomas

• Member Contributer

From memory, when I replaced the clutch on my 01, they were all the same size, all 7 or 8 of them. 

I know the 00/01 5G's have the same clutch as the early 6gG's. 

A lot of the parts drawings , including workshop manuals show judder springs, which is why there are different size plates to fit over them, but the late 5G doesn't have them. I believe this is also the case with 6G to 2012. 

Also note that you should replace the clutch springs at the same time, they're cheap. 

• Member Contributer

Thanks guys. Looks like there is lots of conflicting info out there. I have seen a parts fiche on a different site that only shows 3 discs :(

I'll just rely on EBC having it figured out and having the right number of disc in their CK1218 set that matches the VFR. I'll report back with what I find.

• Member Contributer

The fiche shows less plates in the picture, but if you look up the part (#8), you see qty 6...

• Member Contributer

Got it - Thanks Dutchy! I was just saying, I had found other fiches that showed 1 (not 6) as the quantity. The link you provided was very helpful!

• Member Contributer

yup, 8 discs it was - 7 + 1; if anyone wants to see pics let me know.

Thanks again for the help!

Archived